Sign in to follow this  
smike33

OOM errors and CTD's

Lately I've been getting Out-Of-Memory errors followed by a CTD, or just a straight CTD. It typically happens towards the end of a flight, usually on approach (the most frustrating moment for CTD!). I had to download a module called Autosave so that I can reload the flight and complete the approach. I've noticed that after the OOM error my RAM usage is at about 1.8gb (I have 2gb physical RAM), with FS9 at 1.1 or 1.2 gb. Can anyone help me out?

Guest TomOOO

Does it always happen with the same plane and airport. Trydifferent combinations.Run a process monitor - either windows one of any 3rd party memorymonitor and watch when it goes mad.The amount of physical RAM is irrelevant to a OOM - you only get2Gbyte by default under windows of virtual memory/application regardlessof the RAM you have.Maybe you just have lots of addon material at your airport/planerather than any particular bug - does it happen with differentplanes/airports/scenery library selections.My guess is that you have an empty texture folder for a (addon)scenery at the airport you are trying to land at. This is a knownproblem that results in OOM. Good luck in finding the problem.Tom

Thanks Tom, its actually happened with a variety of aircraft at a variety of airports including PMDG 737, PMDG 747, LDS 767 and at Aerosoft EGLL, VHHH by Thomas Kwong, Cloud9 KLAX, list goes on.

Michael,I think you need to modify your FS9 and or FSX exe to enable the >2GB fix. What follows is a previous post on the subject. Hope it helpsStu.Quote:"I got several Out of memory erros when I fly with the great Alphasim SR71 longer distances. Sometimes the error occured five minutes after takeoff. The error occured under SP1 too.So I tried a solution I found for make STALKER ready for run with Windows Vista. The solution seems to work with FSX too. I got no error on flights which crashed before regulary with OOM.Try this only if you have at least 2 GByte of RAM and at your own risk.First download the explorer from http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.phpNext make a copy from fsx.exe. Than start "CFF Explorer" and open the orginal fsx.exe file.Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. Ther you find a button labeld "click here". Click it. And select the mark at "App can handle> 2gb adressest "Save the modified EXE, overwrite the orginal one (You have youre copy saved?).If you run Windows Vista 64 or Windows XP 64 youre ready and didnt need to read on. The rest is only for Windows Vista 32 or maybe Windows XP.Now make Windows Vista (32-Bit) ready to support more than 2 GByte.Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find it under "Programs->Accessories->Command prompt" click right and select "run as administrator".Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072" (without quotes) in the command window and press enter.After that restart windowsFor Windows XP there is a similar setting for the boot.ini, but I have no Link to it, should be found be google.For me it solved the problem.Too reset the Increased User Adressspace just start the commandline prompt with Admin right again and enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048"Please post youre results here, so we can see if this is a solution or a workaround only.ByeMarkusAuthor of GA-Traffic and AI Contrail Generator"Unquote.Here is a copy of my XP boot.ini.[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560Hope this helps resolve it for you. It certainly did for me.RegardsStu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Hi Stu, I followed your directions and I've yet to try a full flight, but now FS9 is crashing during startup with an error message that it fails to load "bglman.dll" (part of the cloud9 KLAX) scenery. I have to remove bglman.dll from the modules folder before I can successfully start FS9, which of course renders my KLAX scenery unusable...This issue just came up after applying the >2gb fix.EDIT: Problem does indeed disappear after restoring my original fs9.exe

Sorry to hear that, Michael.I'm no expert... I used Markus' advice and it worked ok for me.In your situation, I would uninstall/reinstall Cloud9 KLAX scenery in case the original installation is corrupt in some way. I don't think the missing .dll is anything to do with >2GB switch mod.You could always remove the mod to see if that cures things... doesn't leave you any further forward though.I have no more ideas, perhaps someone with greater knowledge could take up the mantle?All the bestStu.

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Is there any problem with active camera once the hotfix is applied?And any other addons?And with running winXp applications in the backgroud?Thank youGhiom

Only certain versions of bglman are compatible with the 3GB patch to FS9. See the Cloud9 forums for a discussion of this topic and a pointer to the compatible version. I've gotten it and it works like a charm - I've run both the PMDG 747-400 and PSS 777 on 6 hour flights into complex airports and had no problems after the patch.DJ

I'm constently getting CTD's with Cloud9's LAX. Cloud9 have been no help what so ever. I've added the 2 gig fix from the previous post, but I'm still getting CTD's after a few minutes.Dave F.

Dave, did you apply the fix to both the FS9.exe and the boot.ini? Also is it an OOM error CTD or just a plain CTD caused by a dll for example? They are two different things, happening for different reasons.This 2GB+ "hack" is a neat little fix to that nasty OOM error problem many of us have. I just discovered it recently myself.More details on the subject can be found here (look for MeatWaters post's)>>>http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=221.0

Also been getting OOM messaeges recently and installed the >2GB patch.Eventually worked out how to do it!How important is it to also edit the Boot ini as it doesnt say to do so on the website where you download the program to patch the FS9 exe.I dont like to edit Boot ini file as i have read extreme caution must be taken as it can make your system unbootable.Is adding this userVA at the end likely to cause any problems as I have no Idea how to recover from a system that wont boot.Didnt realize until now that there was a fix for OOM messages.Gonna do some testing nowRegardsRichard

Installed the patch today.Sp far no OOM. I shall fly a bit more to ensure it is really a forgotten thing.However, I tend to believe that loading time is increased and there are more stutters. Is it just a psychological effect or the truth?Can you guys share your experience.Thanksghiom

Load time is generally a function of the number of a/c and scenery addons that you have... I have noticed no difference after installing the patch, and no stutters.DJ

Not sure if you guys know this but with XP SP3 using sysconfig I believe it is you can set a /maxmem value right in the OS.I guess MS wised up,-Paul Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Could you give instructions how to get to the sysconfig to set a maximum value for the less computer literate like me please.Thanks Richard