Sign in to follow this  
pgaudet

How to resize textures for FS with DXTBMP

HI:This has probably been asked before but I can't find it. I'm new to using DXTBMP (at least for modifying files).I now have the latest version of it.I have a texture file that is 1024 X 1024 - 16 bit - and I want to shrink it down to 256 X 256 - 16 bit or 256 colors using DXTBMP - this I'm not sure how it's done.It's currently DXT1 format so like to keep it that format.Could someone please lend me a helping hand - thanks.Paul.

Paul tis post will prob get moved to scenery forum but in the meantime.First off dxtbmp can do a lot of stuff but resize bitmaps are not one of them. I use a combo of PsP, imagetool and dxtbmp.In dxtbmp you can link to your paint program, such as psp, export the bitmap from dxt to the paint program, edit then reimport. It might sound confusing but it is reall easy. I however prefer to go the long route. I open the file in imagetool and save it as a 8 bit image, then open it in psp, resize to whatever, save, reopen in imagetool convert to dxt1 and you are done.Douglas

Thanks man.Just one question - What's Psp?Also is Imagetool a freeware or Payware program? Link to get it?Thanks again.Paul.

Hi,PSP is Paint Shop Pro, payware from Corel. You can also use a free paint program like MS Paint or (better) Gimp - do a web search for that one. There are others too. Once you have specified your paint program within DXTBmp using the menu, then choose Image/Send Image to Editor to send it, make your changes, and then save the image. Quit the paint program, go back to DXTBmp and select Image/Reload after Edit. Save the image as DXT1 and you're done.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Tom - Sorry to get off-topic here, but I just wanted to say that your tutorial was instrumental in my learning to repaint aircraft. I only repaint for myself, but it has brought me much joy to fly my own designs in FS. Thank you!jt

Thanks Tom I did get it to work - using DXTBMP and Paint. I got the texture resized and down to 256 X 256 and then saved in DXT1 format and it does run ok in FS9.My only other question now would be how can I keep the image sharp n clear? Due to the resizing the texture now isn't quite as sharp as the others. I assume due to the resizing of the file.Anyway to get around this.Thanks again Tom.Paul.

I think you need something like psp or freeware GIMP and do a high quality resample, and then experiment with an unsharp mask to do some edge enhancement.scott s..

I'm really into photo software and have a ton of it but I've never heard of "DXTBMP". What is it and what does it do? Thanks jerrycwo4

Hi thunderboy,You're certainly welcome - glad it helped you! As it describes PSP7 it will become less useful to folks as they move on to later versions though (I'm not updating).--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___