Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Flight1's Piper Meridian is incredible!

I have been doing crashes and rough landings in Flight Simulator since version 1.0 for Mac (1986) Among those many years today marks a "top 5 moment" in flight simming. I downloaded the Flight1's Meridian. The download was about 50 meg. I printed out their Tutorial PDF which is about 15 pages long. What a great flight! I used the Garmin GNS 530 the entire flight...what a dream. Plotting waypoints and using the moving map made the perfect flight even better. The ILS Approach into KMIA was flawless. I highly recommend buying this addon. Follow the tutorial exactly and you will have fun. It does take some time to learn how to use the Garmin GPS and autopilot but once you do I am sure you will be as hooked as I am. By the sounds of this you would think I was getting commission for each sale :)Jon2003@utley.us

Guest SoarPics

Thanks for the feedback, Jon.I'm one of those die hard 98SE users, a perfectly good install of the OS for almost 2 years, and I reluctantly decided to pass on the Meridian because Flight1 couldn't support the product in this OS. Been reading all the raves about the Meridian, but stuck to the plan to wait until late spring to upgrade to XP.That is until this weekend.Can't fly FS2K2 for more than a couple minutes without a solid lockup. I figure if I must go through all the work of reinstalling the sim and all the addons I have, I might just as well put it on an XP machine. So I just ordered XP Home, and I'll be installing it in a couple days.My question is to Jim Rhoades... did you FUBAR my system? ;) Because you know the first thing I'll do after installing the new OS is buy the Meridian!Well... did ya, Jim? ;)

Greg,You'll be very happy with XP - it's the best consumer OS MS has made and it's been nothing but rock solid stable for me. The only reinstall I've had to do since its release was my own fault for messing with the registry one to many times...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Greg,Yes. The Meridian is a conspiracy to force users into installing XP which has proven to be a very solid operating system and therefore helping us reduce our continual efforts toward support of flaky operating system issues. :-lol You will be happy you made the move...Best,Jim Rhoads

Well Greg, I did it the other way around... I got the Meridian working on Win98SE, and had no issues with it, as along as I started it up from a clean FS2002 boot. But then, I sent one too many emails to Jim and convinced myself that it was time for a new system.. and here I am, happily flying WinXP-Pro..The short version: I can confirm that the Flight1 / Meridian combo has a hidden "install WinXP" message somewhere..Lastly, and most importantly, I can tell you that the Meridian is the best add-on I have ever got for FS.. the whole package, especially the avionics, make FS2002 a new experience entirely! I've not been this impressed since the early days of Sublogic Assignment ATP and the great 3d panel that was made for it..

Bert

Guest SoarPics

Yep, Bert, the Meridian is clearly a benchmark addition to our hobby. I'm very much looking forward to owning it.I'm more impressed with Jim's ability to reach out and smite down these older OS's, though. ;) That's some serious mojo he's got there!!:-beerchug to you, Jim. :-lol

Berts right. We are useing the subliminal approach...You are getting very sick of your operating system... very sick...very sick...:-scatter The kudo's go to my team. I am just the conductor of the symphony.Those guy are the players...but thank you for the compliments.Best,Jim Rhoads

Well Jim,I hope at least MS is giving you royalities for each 98 > XP conversion you cause in the flightsim world! :)I had to be one of the 1st customer's to download her, and my only complaint is that as a new aircraft painter, I do not have the time to fly her! :( Next you need to add a .dll to the modules folder during install that automatically slows real-world time to 1/8X to give all us people time to enjoy her! :-lolI did take her on an inaugural flight from Toronto to Detroit when I downloaded her. I was already familiar with the GNS530 because of extensive training using another product ;) and let the Garmin fly me to and setup the ILS approach. Then I just had to hand fly the approach to marvel at the new gauge responsiveness

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi Jim-I am using Windows ME and want to purchase the Meridian. Do you know if it recommended to install XP over ME? I will be upgrading my system is a couple of months and really do not want to start formatting and re-installing everything at this time.Thanks a lot,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi Howard.I wouldnt do that.I think thats just asking for problems.A good option is to buy another hard drive, format and install XP to it and make it the primary, then use your old ME hard drive as your slave. This allows you to have a fresh XP OS and you can start migrating your programs and files over to the new OS from the slave drive. Regards,Jim Rhoads

Once you purchase this aircraft could you use the 530 in other panels using FS Panel Studio?

Very good idea Jim!And since I've seen the Western Digital JB80 (80g, 8mb cache...very fast!) advertised for under $90, its a no-brainer!I have this drive and could not be happier with it. I'm even thinking that I need another one just for backup! ;)80gigs...LoL...my video card has over 3 times the memory capacity of my 1st 40mb hard drive!...Sheez...how far we have come! :) I wish I saved the post I made here a few years ago (when 2-4mb video cards were the norm, and if you had an 8mb card, you were a serious graphics designer or CAD operator) where I stated that in a few years we'd start to see 32 and even 64 mbs on video cards. Of course some chose to ridicule me.."Yeah right, I don't even have that much MAIN memory...we're never gonna' see that on a video card!" :-lolRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Yes I am addicted. I woke up this morning and first thing I did after showering of course was start the preflight for the next adventure in my Meridian. I downloaded Meridian Adventure Series Volume 1 and 2 by Dave Scofield. After buying the Meridian go to www.flightrealm.com/content.asp?page=mas download the adventures. I just finished the first leg of the first adventure. Palm Springs to Phoenix with a tee time the following morning.. It was a nice flight. I programmed in the flight plan in the GNS 530. Cruise was at FL230. Make sure you set the cabin pressure settings.The landing at Sky Harbor was again a smooth flawless ILS approach to 7L. Many larger aircraft (737, etc) I have flown I always end up short or long on the ILS approach, I assume this is a airspeed issue. With the Meridian I am 2 for 2.. After I finish Dave's adventures I am going to throw some nasty weather in and try another ILS approach into some cold windy place like Chicago or Detroit.Time to start saving money for a flight in the Meridian in the real world.Jon

Guest SoarPics

Enough already, Jon!!! You're hurtin' me here!! :-lol By the time I receive the new OS, get it installed and patched (no one does patches like MS. lol), AND deal with a busy schedule this week, it'll probably be the weekend before I can fly the Meridian.You're not making this any easier. ;)

Thanks Jim-Maybe I just might buy that new system a little sooner than I was planning.The Meridian will run on ME, won't it?Regards,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor