Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

What has FSX done to our hobby ??

Guest mikealpha

Still a lot of great stuff to come for FS9.Air Simmers A320 shall be released first for FS9. Or Digital Aviations Fokker 70/100, which looks VERY promising. And freeware as well, e.g. the AFG Caravelle. And if I may use a shameless plug, also the Project Tupolev Tu-154M is not far from finished. Will be a big and very complete package :-)I'm neither bored with FS9 nor near a burnout. In contrary, with all sliders to the right, I have never enjoyed it more than now.Mike

As for me it's a combination of being very satisfied with how FS9 works and looks and considering all the thousands of euros I've spent on add-ons for FS9. I do have an untweaked FSX installed but so far I'm not very impressed with what I've seen. So tweak it then you say... ;) Sooner or later I will of course move on to FSX (not until Squawkbox 4 is released though...) but I will definitely change the way I purchase add-ons. With FS9 I bought "everything" that was released which left most of them untouched on the harddrive once installed. Even excellent add-ons like the Dornier-27 from Digital Aviation. Too many add-ons with too little time...With FSX I will be more picky. I know roughly what I want to fly and in which areas so I won't bring out the credit card everytime I read "released" on the Avsim front page.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Exactly. Too many add-ons aren't worth the money. On the other hand you find out which are bad and which not only by testing them out yourself - and that means to buy them first...Andreas

As the "boss" is not real keen on my upgrading computers just for my "toy", I don't see myself moving to FSX at all. My 3 GHz machine is running FS9 just fine. I just discovered fseconomy, so that's adds some new enjoyment. Eagerly awaiting the Caravelle, etc. Why move??? I'm happy and having fun! And yes, I will spend some more money on FS9 addons... will probably purchase the Maddog in the near future. Reality is for me that my next sim version will be FSXI. That way I'll most likely have new hardware, VISTA/DX10 will have the bugs out, and maybe FSXI will finally do something about the AI all trying to land on top of each other ;-) Mike

It's not an airliner but we've been developing our upcoming FS9 Piper Twin Comanche to be followed by an FSX version.At FSX release we pledged to continue developing for FS9 for at least 18 months then evaluate the effort/reward situation. It's quite a chore to develop for both versions but we may continue past the self imposed 18 months if it seems to be worthwhile.We suspect that other developers are in the same boat with regard to building for both sim versions and the best way for simmers to solidify FS9 development is to simply support the FS9 product line of their favorite developer.As we look across the landscape, it seems that the only way that developers will continue FS9 development is that it continues to be a worthwhile endevour.:-) Please note that I'm refering to commercial developers but would expect that freewae developers will continue on the FS9 platform:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Like Mike, "I'm neither bored with FS9 nor near a burnout. In contrary, with all sliders to the right, I have never enjoyed it more than now"FS9 will keep me busy for years probably ...until something really interesting like a tileproxy sim comes along. Just imagine ..the GA pilots will drop FSX like a hot potato when that happens! :-lol....and FSX will become the Ship simulator. :)It is annoying that FSX slows down development for FS9 ...but there is nowt we can do about it.....apart from thank and encourage the freeware authors. :) And support the (good ...thats important!)payware FS9 developers with our wallets! :-hah

No add ons? Upgrade to FSX? The decision is simple.When FSX or its successor, can smoothly run triple monitors/views for a 180

Guest captandy

Thank you all for your replies and as one of the developers here said that numbers will speak louder than words. as I am suspecting FS9 full sliders right is many of us,and will remain so. We are eager too keep this sim alive for the forseeable future.ThanksAndy

Guest DreamFleet

>As much as I'd prefer to stick to one version for the sake of>simplicity, I am basically compelled to develop for FS9 and>FSX.>>I'm still amazed that I move significant numbers of FS9>product after all this time, but as has been stated before FS9>is still a very good sim.>>I personally wonder if some simmers are suffering from "FS>Burnout" in the sense that FS2004 was so good, was around for>so long and was truly a watershed version of FS... I wonder if>people are maybe just a bit 'worn-out' after FS2004. >>Bryan>I cannot disagree with you, Bryan. I too am selling respectable numbers of FS9 product (in fact, I'm amazed at the numbers!), and while that is all I have to sell (none of our aircraft is officially in FSX yet), if this had been any other move from one version of FS to another (Eg: FS7 to FS8) I would have already been in the newest version and not looked back.I cannot even say when we will stop developing for FS9.That being said, our failure to move into FSX has nothing to do with us not liking it, or not seeing a market for FSX as, indeed, there is a substantial market for FSX products.We just decided to make a strategic move towards the future (new gauge technology, and a move outside the FS "box"), and this has delayed our move into FSX.The sad fact is, between SP1 and now SP2, and then add to this DX10 and Vista, it has not been easy. As much as I like the team at MS, and respect and admire their work, and can understand what they are trying to accomplish and where they are going, this transition from FS9 to FSX has been the most difficult ever.It is what prompted us and our partner, Reality XP, to say "goodbye" to the MS gauge SDK, and move into our own playing field ("Gauge ExTreme, our new gauge framework. We just thought of the name for it after 9 months this past week!), which gives us much greater flexibility in what we can do, and how we can conform to new versions of FS.Make no mistake about it, we took a financial "hit" for doing this, but this time around we had to look long term, not short term. For those who may be wondering, it is that Airbus thing we are doing via Airliner XP which is creating the foundation for us moving forward.Even then, the transition is never as fast as we would like it to be.Delays, delays delays, both of a personal and technical nature. We're not happy about them, but we try to forge ahead.Otherwise, where I will disagree with you, and most cordially, is on the subject of there being some "FS Burnout". I do not see that.Yes, there's always burnout, boredom, folks leaving the hobby, etc. That always exists. However I do not see it being any different this time than during previous versions except for the fact that more than in the past we have many folks holding on to the previous version. I do not consider that to be burnout.It is a far greater number than with FS6 to FS7 (FS98 / FS2000).Then again, that was a whole different era when it came to add-on sales. It is not quite a fair comparison to FS9-FSX.There is a strong market for FSX, but in our case this time we decided to take a different tack, one that will not only address FSX but future versions.We decided to suffer the delays this time in order to look forward to the long term future of FS, while also creating technology that will help us to better compete / standout in an ever-more competitive marketplace.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

FS9 release just now happened. Announcement on Avsim Main Page :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Bryan, I agree with Lou in regards to it not being burnout of FS in general but a burnout in having upgrade hardware and software. Like you said, FS9 was around for 3 years. Many never before seen software packages for scenery, landclass, mesh, aircraft, etc...came out for it and many many spent lots of money on purchasing this stuff for FS9. Thus when FSX came out, many like myself just could not see starting all over. Then the numerous FSX problems started cropping up like mushrooms in a field and that just added to the "I'm not going to upgrade" mantra. Even today, FS9 is recoginized as being THE sim to use for heavy iron commerical airliner flying. The problems Lou mentions being the two service packs, Vista (big one) and DX10 has turned many people off. I know I and many others are likely just to skip FSX all together and wait for FS11. By that time, the first SP for Vista will surely be out curing many problems, DX10 hardware will be plentiful and cheaper than it is now and hopefully FS11 will be what FS9 is now...the one and only sim.

Eric 

Guest YukonPete

I've been a FS pilot since FS95 and FSX is great! If you don't want Aces to push the envelope then stick with FS9! I think they are doing the best job possible.

"If you don't want Aces to push the envelope then stick with FS9"That is a silly comment.I have paid for my copy of FSX but I prefer to use FS9 for my own reasons.In other words I am (and I'm sure other's) are happy to invest in the future of FS...but FSX does not suit my needs (and a large number of other's)....certainly not right now. :) I'm pretty sure I will be flying my FSXI (as I call it) until the real one arrives. :)

The FS community has been split for exactly one year. This has had a detrimental effect on the community's productivity. It never ceases to amaze me that FS9 freeware outnumbers FSX freeware by four-to-one, at the very least. I don't buy the old argument of, "FS9 addons work in FSX". Once FS2000 was released, the majority of FS98 freeware was labelled "FS2000" by the authors. FS9 freeware authors could do the same thing, but they intentionally label their work "FS2004" ... :)I don't care for adventures or desertified landscape, and that's why I am skipping FSX :)