Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

What has FSX done to our hobby ??

Guest captandy

All I can say is WOW ....I really like a good open honest debate without anyone throwing fuel into a hot issue. Thanks Ron,Bryan, and Lou for your support and future endeavours for FS9.I own products from all 3 of u and they are all top notch.Andy

>>I don't care for adventures or desertified landscape, and>that's why I am skipping FSX :)Can't say I used the adventures a lot, and don't care for the more desertfied landscape either. However, for the thousand of square miles that I sim fly throughout the mountain west cityscape/mountainous areas, FSX usually wins in the "looks" department.That being said, I've actually purchased more FS9 addons than FSX, since the release of FSX about a year ago. My new CPU at that time, was able to run FSX rather well, while allowing FS9 too run much better than previously.It really IS a split situation, FSX looks fantastic for the mountain/city areas that I usually fly in, but lacks overhead for complex addons. I'll just go back and forth, since it isn't a life or death situation; as I own no stock or interest in MSFS or 3rd party developments... :-hah L.Adamson

Try telling them over at LVLD?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Coneman

There is much FS9 payware scenery and aircraft I don't have, and will be purchasing as long as they are available.What killed FSX for me is not only the performance issues, but what they have done with the terrain textures. I can't stand to look at the spotted transitions. It just kills the immersion. And even though the textures are higher res, for some reason they don't blend as well for me as FS9.Cheers

My impression is that FS2k and 2k2 really pushed the hobby ahead. 2k2 worked out to be a great version, with many tools that the hobbyist could use to make nice freeware. When FS9, that set a lot of people back. It didn't run that well on many computers, and had some significant changes that hobbyists had to come to grips with. Eventually many people made the transition, but I think if you look closely a lot of hobby work was still based on FS2k/2k2 methods (though folks over time were getting into GMax for modeling). One thing that helped in FS9, is that there was an explosion of terrain data that became available online during this time and that could be converted into FS9 scenery. This really helped quite a bit in getting new, innovative addons.The situation in FSX is less clear (at least at this point). In some respects, the quality of FSX is "good enough" so that it becomes hard for a hobbyist to to an addon that seems worthy. I think a lot of folks don't feel they have the time or skills to work on FSX. Even with things like "AFCAD" airport mods, the current tools are good enough to do some work, but we just don't see that many "AFCADs" being released like we did before. And "AFCAD" was one area where a hobbyist could get something up and running and uploaded to the libraries fairly easily. Maybe we just need more time for FSX to come into it's own as a platform for hobbyiest addons.scott s..

FS9 has hundreds and hundreds of add ons. Do you have them all or most of them already? if you do not have most of them, why are you lamenting about no new FS9 addons? What about freeware addons. There are 1000's of them to try out. Amazing sceneries and they are all free in the library. Have you spent time with those?FSX has hardly any. Particularly when it comes to airport sceneries.So I find your anguish kind of weird!I see the same complaints on the Aerosoft forum too. every time they announce a new FSX addon ...they get beaten up...about why they are not releasing an FS9 version.The way I look at it...its like watching some fat kid sitting with food stuffed up his face complaining about lack of new hot food.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Well that is not the way I look at it.Believe it or not FS9 has only just come of age and it seems... well such a waste to leave such a good sim at this point.It is only now that we are getting really high quality frame rate friendly sceneries for FS9, XML animation for models is still in it's infancy for FS9 (I still have not seem the definitive animation for an A330/340 or 777 bogie). Certainly ultra smooth 3D xml gauges (for the VC) could transform VC flying for many. For me FSX has simply arrived too early...and by the time I finished pimping my FS9.... It will be FSXI.And I'm hoping FSXI will be the brand new sim I'm looking for :)

Actually Ed,It may not be a bad strategy to skip 1 generation. and go from FS9 to FS11.Without addon airports, I don't like to land in FSX during daytime. I just keep flying....cause of the amazing water and sky/clouds in FSX.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

To true ...much the same as in FS9.... landing at a default airport is such a disappointment. :(Without 2D panel support I do not like to fly in FSX full stop. :)

FSX technically killed it.. it doesn't run on any system (i dont care what anyone says - ive tried it for myself so save it!), it doesn't offer anything above FS9. So now we have developers not knowing which to develop for because most of the people dont know which sim to use. Some try fs10 and force themselves into thinking it is woth it.. that's their choice. however on the large scale, FS as a concept is relatively dead right now. We haven't had any decent product for a while now. Only promises that never come. Captain sim pushed the visuals but died making the systems. LevelD made the systems but generally forsake the visuals (no cockpit update or even a cabin added on in 2 years? sorry......). Fanda's (majestic software now) pushed the flight dynamics and sound to the edge but failed to deliver the systems or completed visuals. We have seen a lot of general aviation stuff because they don't have systems, which if we look at the jets, is the weak point: integrating the visuals and systems. For some odd reason nobody can actually pull that off.. they just give up and release the product. I hope the recent delay of releases is so that they can finally make a rounded package, not sell promises. Why do i even say all this? Because ms gives a bare base and it's up to people to make the rest - for which they charge; aka its a business - which apparently has a lot of problems that have managed to slip through until now riding on promises.......All this became way too obvious after fs10 because people were hyped and ms pitched so many coding improvements that will allow developers to expand even more.. i am sorry what? All we have heard so far is "we can't code for it because it changes so many things". Back to the original point.. it changes nothing for the user experience. And now we have packs upcoming.. i feel like i am playing the sims... at least the sims has a purpose! If fs fails to s i m u l a t e it has no purpose. Fs10 fails to simulate. That's how i see the hobby right now.

Interesting thread!I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago... 20" screen, Core 2 Duo T7500 (Santa Rosa), 2Gig RAM, 256MB HD2600XT graphics card (DX10), 400GB HDD, it's a really nice system. It pretty much powers its way through the likes of Oblivion, Bioshock, Company of Heroes (all very demanding titles), yet FSX still chokes on it. It would seem that even on a high end laptop system running up to date hardware you still can't get FSX to run ok. I have to either sacrifice autogen, fly in clear skies, and definitely stay away from big cities! This is with no AI at all....Soooo.... after my 4th attempt in the last year of trying to like FSX I found myself uninstalling it last night (again). As Ed said above, FS9 is really coming into its own now...I like to fly airline flights to and from the UK, so to that end I have a virtual hangar filled with BA, BMI and Virgin aircraft, as well as Easyjet and a few charter airlines. I have all my UK airports covered with UK2000 and UK2000 Extreme scenery... I have a large collection of European airports and destinations further afield served by British airlines. On these flights I have flight planning courtesy of FS Build, airport charts and en-route charts from nDAC, real world weather from ActiveSky 6.5. My terrain is enhanced with FS Genesis global mesh, UT for the appropriate areas, and GE Pro ground textures. For the sky I have a cocktail of Flight Environment and Flight Enhancer... I can fly my PMDG 747 from a wonderfully detailed Heathrow to a similarly detailed Boston complete with loads of real world AI......and all at a solid, steady 20+ FPS. No stutters, no pausing, no blurries. I am *very* happy with my FS9 setup.If I get bored with flying the heavies, I can take my Aeroworx King Air or Aerosoft Cheyenne for a jaunt across the North sea to Scandinavia, where I have some fantastic freeware scenery for Norway's airports, or some nice payware for Sweden.If I want to try somewhere with truly spectacular scenery I can visit the US and Canada, where I have both payware and freeware sceneries covering the area from Portland all the way up to Alaska, and some really nice bush planes to tour the area in.If I just want a bit of quick gratification I have a lot of Alphasim's classic British jets (I also couldn't resist their SR-71 and XB-70).Bottom line is FS9 has been an unprecedented success, and we have a HUGE choice of scenery and aircraft that covers just about every taste. Current hardware can run all this stuff very well indeed.The only thing I would really wish for is some detailed airports in Africa and possibly India, as well as a nice series of sceneries covering New Zealand...Have a look at the FSX forum and you'll always see at least one thread on the very first page detailing performance problems someone is having. ONE YEAR after its release we are still seeing more FS9 stuff in the library here each day. Lots of people were holding out for the DX10 upgrade for FSX, but now we see it's being touted as a "preview" (whatever that means) and its clear its not going to live up to many's expectations. I don't doubt that many people are perfectly happy, even ecstatic with FSX, but I think there are an awful lot more who aren't happy with it. I really do hope it matures into something like FS9, but I'm not holding my breath. I think FSX will go down in FS history as one of the less auspicious releases in the series. In the meantime, I've purchased my copy of FSX, and thus have shown my support for the series, but I really do hope they pull something special out of the bag for FSXI.

Just wanted to put my two (2) cents worth in. Personally I don't believe FSX has done anything for the flightsim community.While it may have put a few more coffers in the MS bank account, I have seen it create more frustration and confusion than anything. Having conducted a number of public demo over the past few year I can comment without hesitation that FSX has resulted in many potential new members to this great hobby simply 'giving up' due to misleading advertising and extremely poor performance on mid level systems.With a local organization approaching 100 members I know of no one who has stuck with FSX. Bought it..tried it..shelved it! ALL are currently running FS9.The future of FlightSim will and should be driven by consumers and not corporations like Microsoft.I feel developers should respond to the needs and requirements of the market not the perks and arm twisting of corporations with clearly vested monetary interests.

Talking of "public demos"I went to the IFC in Birmingham last year. Seeing all the stuttering demos of FSX on a bank of LCD's for newbies to try was not only a complete joke....I personally felt embarrassed! :-lol

Guest Pipe

Bought it and dumped it. FSX, for whatever reason, is too much for my system. With a perfectly running FS9, all sliders up, smooth frame rates and transitions, all this achieved in countless hours of tweaking and fiddling much to the complaints of my sim widow and orphans at home ("Daddy, when do you actually FLY with this thing?"), I

Of the past 100 New Files in the library, a massive 27% are FSX-specific, and that's one year after release :(