Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Talk about getting bored with FlightSim?

I suffered a burnt out motherboard chip that put me out for five days while attempting to diagnose the fault.For five days I have been like a 'fish-out-of-water'! So, It never fails to amaze me when I read threads of people getting bored with F.S.?What's your slant on this. Have you ever had a similar experience guys?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Ocala 1

I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulators since FS98 and yes I have been bored with all of them and I have owned every one since FS98. I say bored but only with the flying part. I dont find it all that realistic. But.... I thoroughly enjoy the AI portion of it all. Without the AI I wouldn't even have FS9 on my computer. I have never had jets on my computer, just prop planes. I enjoy the older aircraft and dont even have the newer prop planes installed. Being retired U.S.A.F. I have most of my AI traffic coming and going from military bases especially out of Nev. and Wash. As for civilian airports all my active AI is in Maine that being my home state. About a year ago I bought CFS3 and IL-2. Upgraded CFS3 to the WW1 OFF version and enjoyed all the shooting up of the enemy and being shot down myself but soon got bored with both of them. The only real fun part I found was in the Mission Building. I came back to FS9 and deleted all the other simulators. The main enjoyment I get in FS9 is watching my AI traffic and listening to ATC work with them. Using AFCAD's, DXTBmp, TTools, Paint Shop Pro 8, is where I enjoy it most. To answer your question concerning the broken pooter thing...no that has never happened to me since I have an assortment of computers to fall back on. Sorry to be so long winded.Harold

Homecockpit, PMDG 747 , Vatsim, Navigraph charts, servinfo and performance calculators on the second PC = not enough hours in the day to enjoy it all :) I've been lucky and not had that many hardware failures but last year one of my ex-girlfriends didn't like my sim so decided to feed it "toast and orange juice" while i was at work... let's just say i wasn't too happy.

Rob Prest

Earlier this year I had to send my brand new CH Products yoke back to the manufacturer because of a defective switch. I was severely and incredibly bummed out because I couldn't fly for over 3 weeks. I really love this hobby! The episode did make me realize that I "have to get out a bit more often" as they say, so I did learn something from of my misfortune (as I usually do). I now get up and get way from the computer more than I did the broken hardware problem . . . if only to kiss my wife on the cheek more frequently.

Guest crotiusf16

Hi there simmersI had FS2004 on my PC for over a year before I really got involved in it. I must admit I have wasted a lot of time not flying so regularly then. My real love for it only started to come through strongly when I started to do screenshots. I have posted numerous ones on some other sim site. My zorpia blog also has some screenies there. www.zorpia.com/corrie911Go and have a look and let me know. If I haven't formatted my HDD twice already I would have had quite a lot of flying time under the belt. I never saved my logbooks, stupidity is a lesson learnt. Hopefully I will remember to save it when I format my HDD again.Corrie

Yes, Mad Dog, and she's awesome. She loves the fact that at 50 I finally have a hobby that makes me happy.She's also my third wife. But Flight Sim had nothing to do with my previous divorces, as I didn't fly back then.I'm simply a jerk -- Just ask my two ex-wives, they'll tell you! :-lol Smooth skies!Chuck

Guest monsoon

This sim needs to add even more realism to it. From the mechanics of it it is a great sim. A few addons have gone above and beyond what you can squeeze out of a box with a few memory chips in it. On the other hand we have orgaznizations like VATSIM that offer even more realism. In my opinion the AI programs suck. I am all about realism and knowing it is a very predicatble, computer controller aircraft in front off me doesnt add any realism whatsoever. To hear the controllers and pilots real voice online can't be beat. And is is unpredictable. Overshoots, emergencies, etc that add to the realism. Now the only thing that is missing is the economic portion of the simulation. Sure there are things like FSEconomy and things like that that help but to have a virtual airline world would be great. One where stocks of airlines is simulated, wear and tear on aircraft, bankruptcies, etc would tip the scale for realism. There are so many VA's out there that something like this wouldn't be a problem. The goal? To have the most profitable airline running. Just like the real world. Until that happens I think FS will remain pretty dull and boring. My two cents.