Sign in to follow this  
BillW

Planes showing up in the program list

Why do some planes show up as programs in the Control Panel program list? It seems that this would junk up the registry and slow down the power up of a PC.

I doubt it will slow down the computer much - but it does put a lot of useless ..... on the machine.Basically it depends upon how the designer/ developer of the addon wants it to appear or not appear.Also whether or not the install is built to be uninstallable, or updatable in the future.My real job is helping manage an application suite of almost 400 apps in a major world wide company. Installs, removals, updates, etc on tens of thousands, some times a little over a half-million computers.There is no real standard - even among high end commercial software - just up to the individual group producing the product.We have to look at each install, exactly what it does and quite often we will make changes to things like Add/Remove Programs.And don't get me started on updating near 400 installs for Vista.

Bill,It also annoys me a little but here's my solution.Use the "convenient, non-optional" installer and browse to a dummy folder and install it. Copy to FS and test it. Regardless of whether you want to keep it or not, you can now UNINSTALL it from the dummy location and go on with the rest of your life. If you want to list the files that were added you could do this from the top installation folder using the command prompt with something like "DIR /S *.* > C:xyzAircraft.txt" and you will get a directory listing of the installed files written to a text file with whatever output name you used. There are also Windows applications that can do this but the command line is easy enough to use.More complex aircraft or applications probably need to be installed directly to FS and left alone unless/until you actually want to remove them but the run-of-the-mill add-on aircraft don't need this. I'd rather move the gauges that come with an add-on into the panel folder anyway for isolation, but that's up to you...Loyd

My prsctice too - word for word except for the dir /s - thanks.Reminds me of another pet peeve - useless additions to the fs menu bar. Why I need a link to documents or websites in the menu bar I cannot fathom - I usually find the offending dll and rename it but in some cases I have passed on otherwise really good payware because of this.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Thanks to all for your responses. I had wondered about this for quite some time, but never really sought an answer. Always trying to figure ways to stremline this stuff.