Sign in to follow this  
Guest SWA2873

Has anyone had problems with direct IP connections for MP?

Guest SWA2873

after numerous attempts with FS2004 in establishing a direct IP connection with some friends, I am at my wits end.Regardless of how it is set up, i.e. me as host or my freind as host. both of us are unable to find the others session.I have been doing this with every version of FS from 98 on with no problem until FS2004. The problem also persists with FSX.Whats the deal here? Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? we can implement?ThanksSam

Guest magnum_force

HelloI have no useful information except to say, I payed 59.99 plus tax for FS9. FSX is selling for half as much. (Hmmm)But, anyway, if I was going to sim online with my buddy, (and I dont) I would expect my software to work.Having to download a second or third party application is not fair to any users of this MS software to get it to run properly.Remember all the bridges left out of FS9.Why release it that way, it wasnt finished.I own five versions of FS, FS98, 2000, FS2002, FS9, FSX.I think they have all been a disappointment in their own unique way.Only the generosity of freeware and payware developers made it worth all the time invested to make it a fun experience.Windows XP was a piece of work also, but it is my favorite operating system and have no regrets owning or using it.It is easy to see how XP and Vista will be "works in progress" as they are whole operating systems. (That reminds me, I spent good money for for Windows ME too). What a godawful let down.Having said all that, I do support Microsoft Corporation.We should expect finished products because we are paying for them.

Silent Hunter 4 is the same with M/play - ubisoft server is terrible - I can never get on so most people have turned to 3rd parties to use m/play. The large company's dont seem to be bothered if m/play works or not even though they advertise it.

"Whats the deal here? Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? we can implement?"If either or both of you have a firewall, that's the likely culprit. I fly online sessions with a friend all the time and we take turns hosting. In advance of the session, the one hosting sets up the other's i.p. as a trusted address in the firewall and voila, a good session. Without, the host's session is invisible to the other. Since figuring this out I have had no challenges with multiplayer, other than figuring out where to fly.Regards,John

Well I have tried the IP system with FS9 and no deal - also switched of firewlls ,virus checkers etc just to try it and no deal - so something is wrong with our setups. it doesn't matter to us bas long as we both use Hamachi glad u can connect OK. Vatsim works great.

Do you use the free version or the commercial version of Hamachi? I am curious if you can describe how you set it up and how you set up MP sessions with it.-John

Wonder why you're even fighting it? Why wouldn't you just join one of several/many free open MP servers that you can find using FSHostspy? Every time I look there are plenty of servers with no people on them. If you're looking for privacy you shouldn't have an issue.On the more technical side, I have NO issues starting a server and my friends connecting. EVER. But, I did have to set the computer as a DMZ host for the server to be seen. Right, OK, you don't want to open up your computer like that because you think that someone will try to get in and steal those import .bgl files. Well, your stuff really isn't that important.So just try that as a test. I have been screwing around with MP connections and games for years and when we run across this issue, it is 100% of the time the users setup with regards to firewalls and routers that is the issue. Quite frankly, if ONE person can get the software to work, then it isn't a FS9 or Fsx issue. In general, if you are behind a router, you cant host(unless you open the correct ports through the router OR set as a DMZ host) but you can join.But really. Why don't you and your Buddie just join someone elses server? We ALL know that works don't we?Lucerne