Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

STAR runway calculation question

I'm doing a STAR runway setup for KABQ where no two runways are parallel. In doing my calculations, do I do it from the lowest # base Runway (rwy 3) to the highest base runway (rwy 17) and just keep going around up to 17 or do I do seperate calculations between progressive 'pairs' of runway. ( rwy 3 and 8) rwy 8 to rwy 12, rwy 12 to rwy 17, etc.? I know runway 17 isn't active but I'm using it anyway. I don't usually run into this as I'm normally dealing with just pairs of paralell runways. thanks

I don't really understand what you're saying, but I would tackle KABQ like so:21Fake runway(s)17Fake runway(s)12Fake runway(s)8That way 8/26 will be the determining runway and from looking at the Afcad, it appears to be that way.What you really have to ask yourself, is what runways do I want to use, what ends do I want to link together, and what do I want the determining runway to be (the one at the end of the runway list in Afcad).You could also go, 35 - 3 - 8 - 12 or the other way around. Lots of possibilities.Some of these scenarious require you to "flip" a runway. Capture the four tabs of a runway's properties, plus ILS properties for both ends if applicable. Then delete the runway, then re-insert it, using the info you captured. But every base info, you make reciprocal info. So if the base end was 17, you make it 35. Same for lights, markings, everything you flip. Then you re-adjust ILS info if needed. (You should get a warning, if ILS info was changed from stock. Deleting the runway will undo those changes, hence the need to change it back later.) And then you have other possible Stars.

Mike...

When I did that airport for this Ultimate AFCAD Package - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...afcd&DLID=68827I found that opening all the runways caused more problems than it solved.So I setup the airport with two runway groups.Rwy 3/21 & Rwy 35/17 in one group.Rwy 8/26 & Rwy 12/30 in the other.That gave landings and takeoffs on Rwy 3 & 35 or Rwy 21 & 17; or in other wind conditions Rwy 8 & 12 or Rwy 26 & 30.That also put an ILS runway in each group.The Rwy 3 & 35 configuration was the best for traffic flow because commercial takeoffs were in 35 and landings on 3.Runway 8 is a big issue because it is going to get the majority of the takeoff traffic - but if 8 & 3 are both open at the same time - any extensive military parking at Kirtland is going to be sent all the way to 3 for takeoff.

> I found that opening all the runways caused more problems than it solved.LOL, it certainly looks that way. I'm not at all familiar with Albuquerque. I wonder how it got that complicated. Looking at Google Earth, there's plenty of room for an 8R and/or 3R. Not sure about the amount of traffic either. Suppose if you want to take it further, there are always multiple Afcads with different configurations. Two different Afcads maybe. One with take-offs from 8, landings on 3. The other with landings on 26 and take-offs from 21.

Mike...

The problem with KABQ is the approaches. Only 3 & 8 have ILS approaches - so they must be in the group of runways which can be made active.Otherwise FS will decide you have an error in the runway assignments and ignore all settings made by the AFCAD at certain times.

Of course, what you COULD do is cheat a bit and just re-design KABQ. Get rid of 12/30; add 8R, then you could use 8L/R, 3/21. I believe 17/35 are inactive now.