Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Korean Air Lines 801 revisited - Great report and sim experience

I read the NTSB's report on KAL 801 today. It is excellent and provides much food for thought. The sections on weather and the actual crash scenario in Section 2 are detailed and eminently readable, and understandable by a non-pro like me.I just flew a simulation of KAL 801 in a 747-400 (OK, it's not the classic 747-300 model, I know) on my system and you can reproduce it very faithfully in the sim. It is quite scary actually. But very remarkable that you can do so. This is proof yet again of the sim's value as a training tool. You almost wonder if real world pilots could sim as much as we do--and with as much intensity--maybe there'd be fewer pilot errors such as CFIT among other things.It does seem, incidentally, that pilot fatigue remains a key contributor to fatal errors. This seems clear from the report.JS

Sooner than not, simulated 3D mesh terrain will become more of a standard within the cockpit. IMC flight will be like flying MSFS on a clear day!:D As I've been very interested in controlled flight into terrain accidents for many years, due to several close to home in a mountainous area, this modern technology can only be a great benefit!As you've done, I've often used the sim to replicate accident flights from GPS coordinates.L.Adamson

The Guam crash was a total nightmare scenario: the captain missed every possible cue for error correction on approach, and yet he still could have avoided disaster had he moved faster when Fate called. Then again, he couldn't; that is the nature of Fate. This is one accident that should not have happened, but how many other accidents also should not have happened?I am so impressed how you can replicate this stuff in the sim. I too have replicated several other accidents with eery accuracy. It makes me shudder in the comfort and safety of my own home...!JS

there was a website that had crash scenarios for FS9 based on a series (3 vols?) of books dealing with major airline crashes. The guy that made the site produced the wx, flight plan, ect for download along with links to the most accurate freeware plane to match and scenery.the site was quite extensive and complete along with background info, investigative reports, photo links - really well done with about a 100 crashes.sad to say my link no longer works but I am not sure if he changed domain or somthing.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest JTEK99

Mike S:Wow... that would be a great site to see. Anyone else heard about it or know where it might have gone?

JS, do you have Matthias Neusinger's Recorder Module V 1.3 ? If so why don't you record the relevant part of the flight and post it as an attachment. I would like to see if I can run it in my sim and on my equipment. The file size won't be very large, not like a video. It might be a good tool to expand on the thread.

I guess I'd be happy to try and record something with that module if it works easily. Do you think it would record properly on my triple LCD set-up with TH2G?JS

Thanks.I just d/l the recorder. I might have to do some "homework" first to learn how to use this properly and then do a couple of dry runs, so it could be a while before I get as far as posting with a recording.JS

It's too bad that in FS2004 you cannot slide on the ground after crashing onto land like in real life. The sim ends at the point of impact and then re-sets. The KAL 801 jet "landed" on the hillside with its left gear touching down first and then roared/smashed 2,100 feet down the slope to come to a halt (in 5 pieces) very close to the NIMITZ VOR station. I won't be able to capture any of that effect unfortunately, so I shall have to aim to crash just before the VOR station which will be tricky given the surrounding terrain.JS

If I do that then the aircraft will just continue "flying" on and through the ground ad infinitum, no?JS