Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Terrain settings in Fs9 Config

Hi all, can someone explain the difference these settings will have in FS9.TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0000orTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.5000I have seen people post TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS with either 4.5000 or 9.00000Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Hi Bill,there is no difference. Both parameters have a maximum value of 4.0 and any given value higher than 4 will be interpreted as 4.Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger, Holger Sandmann I presume? If so your answer puzzles me a bit. Let me explain:Long ago I saved a copy of a post you made regarding these different parameters... I quote: "Terrain settings:In order to maximize the detail/sharpness of ground textures it's a good idea to use terrain extended textures. Below is a summary of what these parameters mean and what values are possible. However, if you're using photoreal scenery (such as MegaScenery) you should turn off extended textures and reduce visibility to 30 miles or so. That is because without extended textures FS needs to load about 5000 texture tiles but with extended textures the number jumps to about 20,000! There's still a lot of debate what exactly those parameters mean and what units they have but here's what I compiled from various sources and, IMO (!), makes sense: TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 * that's easy: ON/OFF switch to load higher res textures beyond the initial "ring", which extends to about 40 miles TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000 * apparently, values can range from 0 to 9.99 and higher settings will be ignored * extends the use of the highest detailed mips (sharper textures) within the inner circle; lower settings means less than 40 miles and higher settings up to the 40-mile max. * changing this value doesn't seem to make much of a visible difference TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000 * same range of values as above * extends the use of higher maps for the outer circle(s). Supposedly, "1.5" reaches to ~70mi and "9.9" to about 100mi * careful!!! A setting higher than 3.9 can lead to "texture tearing" (blue slivers) in the mid- to far distance when high-res mesh is used. Some add-on mesh files - like some of mine - provide additional "buffer" mesh files, which prevent those blue slivers even at settings >3.9 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 * range from 0 to 8 * is tied to TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS and defines the max. mip level to be used for the outer ring(s), that is the sharpness of the outer ring textures * I never noticed much difference between 0 and 4; no changes at all when >4 In summary, the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS parameter appears to be the one with the biggest visual influence. Oh, and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT apparently determines the speed or priority with which ground textures are sent for processing to the graphics card. Cheers, Holger"End quoteAt the time you stated that there was still a lot of debate what exactly those parameters mean. At this time, is there more clarity about these settings and there corresponding values and if so, could you please share them with us?My question is not aimed at creating controversy, but rather to learn more about the different parameters and their corresponding values. As I respect and value your knowledge on this Holger, I would be honored if you can give us an answer.Sincerely yours,Gerhard Brouwer

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Thank you Scott.My german is not so hot, so it's difficult to grasp what the outcome is. Thanks for posting. :)Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Hello Gerhard,good point. There are definitely mistakes in that old post of mine and it was actually Joachim Buhre, the author of that 500-page document cited by Scott, who did the testing last year that led me to agree that 4 is the maximum value for both parameters. Joachim used custom textures with colors and codes on them which allowed him to determine the visual influence each of those parameters. Too bad indeed Joachim's work never got translated, though some of the graphs included pretty much speak for themselves. The section on these specific parameters is on p.299-304.Cheers, Holger

Thank you for replying Holger, I'll examine pages 299-304 and have a good look on the graphs.Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard