Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

All Water Green After Install/Uninstall of PicNic Textures

All my water is green, and the only thing I've changed is that I tried PicNic v.1 grass textures. Flight Environment doesn't even change the water colors any more; changing time of day or season doesn't help either. And it doesn't mater where I am, ocean, river, it's all "grass green" now. I know PicNic supposedly replaces only the Detail1.bmp file, but something is definately wrong now.I have a couple of pristine FS9 installs on other computers I can copy original files from if needed -- can anyone tell me what files would need to be replaced to put this back to "changeable"?Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Jim. That was the first thing I did -- no joy. It looks like it's mainly my rivers and inland waterways.Grass green rivers! Ugly.

Got it! Water Effects Detail slider had somehow been moved to "none" setting.

Well, now that problem was fixed how did you like the new color of the grass or did you even try out the program again? I was thinking about trying it but I don't know now. jerrycwo4

Well, I'd just suggest you give it a try. It only replaces one file in your FS9 directory and automatically makes a back up of the original, so what have you got to lose? Try photograss found here in the avsim library too.All I can tell you was that I uninstalled it as quickly as I noticed all of my rivers color change to grass textures as well. I'll reinstall it this morning and let you know.

Uh, so far I don't really notice any difference. I think I'll go back to photograss for now.

Guest tmond

Chuck.Hi,where do you get photograss from? Is it free?

Guest tmond

Ok. Thanks. Does this just give you greener grass around runways or all over. In your mind is it a good addon?:-)

Hi, Tim!The grass looks more realistic to me than the stuff they use in FS2004, and it only replaces one file: detail1.bmp (be sure to back up your original if you try it!). Another reason I like it is because of it's simplicity. I'm currently back to using PicNic by Aim

Guest tmond

Chuck. Re photograss. I never been the greatest at installs. In the texure file it's says detail1.bmp.............is this file already in texure and that I can just extract the file into detail1.BMP ?:-)

You can, but I use WindowsXP Home so I always just open the zip file, right click the file I'm putting in and paste it where ever the readme.txt file tells me to. But MAKE SURE you copy your original detail1.bmp file and put that copy it somewhere safe (on the desktop?) BEFORE you copy photograss into your texture folder. Or, you can just rename it something like detail1.bmp.orig, and when you get the warning about changing file extensions just press the "ok to rename" button.I'm not at my computer at home, but as I recall the readme.txt file tells you exactly what to do to install it. Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Guest tmond

Thanks Chuck.Much appreciated.:-)