Sign in to follow this  
dfish

Wilco/FT Airbus

That is a serious statement. So in essence you feel that they misrepresented the product as well as made it defective?JS

Believe me I do not take anything as an insult because I am having a great time with it. I will freely admit I dont calculate decent profiles as they are supposed to be. (I am a firefighter and not a pilot and I have enough to worry about) I takeoff climb to cruise I land at the proper airport and chosen runway. I have never crashed, so as far as I am concerned it works fine. My biggest concerns are planning a route with the use of Flightaware or some other flight planner and I have a good time. So yeah to me it's bug free. I believe I have a different attitude than most and if things are a little off but I can still fly the sim why worry, I am enjoying myself.

One other comment for JSACKS I am not much of a VC simmer I just use it to look out the window, I cant tell you if it's any good. I couldnt tell you if the PMDG 747 is any good and I have flown that all over the sim world several times.:(

I understand your comments--maybe we should all care a little less about how perfect (or imperfect) these things are!Thanks again.JS

Honestly, I think too many people are expecting these sims to be sufficient to achieve a type-rating, and spend too much time dreaming about that famous call in the aircraft "if there is a pilot present, please make yourself known..." - all for 30 bucks or whatever!David

David Porrett

Guest monsoon

Hey David. I am a stickler when it comes to these things. As for making aware what i do for a living I do so just to place credentials. If I was going to but a race car and knew that Michael Andretti said such and such as car is top of the line I would tend to believe him. Same thing. I program these fms's all day long at my job and if I say the decent predictions suck wouldn't you assume I kinda know what I am talking about. thats all. Not trying to show off or anything. As for making these sims as real as possible I dont complain they arent real level D quality but when PMDG or LDS can do a fantastic job at recreating these planes why should wilco be able to ESPECIALLY when they are charging the same price. I dont expect lif like quality but I do expect industry standard and PMDG, Level D, Dreamfleet have all set the bar. I expect companies that want the same price to at least meet the same quality as the stated companies. Dont you agree?

True enough, but don't try to SELL it as such either, as mentioned above the did some flase advertising. Now, I do own Vol.1 and I must admit I'm not crazy about "on the buses" anyway, so I fly boeings almost 100% of the time. My opinion does not count on this subject.I do fully enjoy thier PIC 737 series and I know alot of people trashed that like heck too. It's not PMDG good and I agree that the NAV data is sub par, more so when flying in Euroland. It also has it's "bugs" (rapid speed bleed and decent when deploying speedbrakes and the way it tracks a waypoint turning left first then turing right).But overall it (FT737) is a great add-on IMO. And I have a blast flying it and learned to work around the annoying things.

Monsoon, I don't doubt you for a second - I guess I just don't let it upset me too much. I "pilot" 300m ships for a living, so I guess most other things tend not to worry me too much.David :)

David Porrett

>well it has been a while since i "flew" it because i parked>it for good but a quick one would be the errors with navdata.>i find the mcdu does a crummy job in the descent profile. i>know that one isnt an isolated incident either. jeez how many>people had problems with the autopilot/autothrottle. countless>numbers. not to mention the biggest thing that annoyed me the>most is the blatent LIES about the features that were>advertised and not modelled.Well.. I've never had major problems with either VOL.1 or the new VOL.2... I'm a "real-world" pilot (thought not as a career) with over 3000 hrs in large turbine aircraft and while the FT Airbus aren't dead-on accurate, they do provide a good experience! As for the TOD miscalculations - I've never had a big problem with them... if you program the route properly, the TOD calculation works out to be just right.. but if you add or delete waypoints during the flight, then the TOD isn't usually corrected by the FMGC.. but knowing this, I manually calculate the TOD and then follow my calculation - no problem! It's a bug, but one that I can live with!The only "issue" that has caused me any frustration is the failure of the FMGC to obey ALT restrictions in the climb and descent.. but again.. it's no big deal for me to manually level the aircraft at the restricted altitude. Again.. it's a bug, but I live with it!I've merged both the 2D and VC panels successfully with other aircraft models (I don't particularly care for the inaccuracies of the FT visual models) and they work beautifully - I've merged the 330-200, 330-300, 340-300 and 340-600 to the CLS models and the A320 to the Overland models and now have the best of all worlds!Do I think that these aircraft are perfect? NO! But when used properly, they seem to work very well. Do I think Wilco made blatant lies? No.. though they aren't completely accurate in their descriptions. DO I feel like I got ripped-off with these purchases? NO!Again... I don't think these are up to the quality of realism as PMDG or Level-D... but I use them and like them! (bugs and all!)In the meantime, I'll happily use them until Airsimmer or AirlinerXP release their versions!-Alex

Guest VAA_008

I couldn't help but notice that even with all the complaining about FT/Wilco's airbus package, they managed a third position finish at the flightsim awards 2007 behind the Level-D X and the Maddog 2006...

Guest monsoon

I'm a "real-world" pilot (thought not as a>career) with over 3000 hrs in large turbine aircraft and while>the FT Airbus aren't dead-on accurate, they do provide a good>experience! Heck i would like to know where you got 3000 hrs in a heavy turbine without doing it as a career. I have never heard anyone ever having that much time in a heavy and not doing it for a job.

Guest monsoon

Yeah but I bet John doesnt play FS!