Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Importantance of a backup - FSX messed up FS9

Hello simmers,I got a feeling that this has not happened to everyone but I wanted to put this up here just to ram home the importance of having a solid backup of your entire FS9 installation.I uninstalled FSX to make space for some other games I want to play (no big deal Im saving for a stonking new computer and FSX will run great on that one!).I was in for a rude shock once the FSX uninstall was complete.1. FS9 refused to start2. Refused to build a new fs9.cfg3. Did not recognize any aircraft in the /aircraft folder4. Ultimate Terrain (USA, Canada, Europe) did not work5. Textures applied by BEV lost6. VOZ stayed "stuck" on its North mode turning similar world texutes green like NE Australia. No way to Unvoz.7. Anti-aliasing did not work (only worked in fullscreen)8. Error messages saying default .flt could not be locatedNeedless to say I was majorly ____ ! You guys know first hand the amount of work that goes into a good FS9 install with its spiderweb of 3d party apps that feed into it.As crushed as I was it was not all bad because sitting on a USB drive is an entire image of FS9 thanks to Acronis True Image. In the event curiosity got the better of me and I managed to fix FS9 without needing Acronis..this time! I did it by resorting to a series of saved fs9.cfgs. Nothing like a real-life lesson to show the importance of a backup and therefore I urge my fellow simmers on here: if you have not done so already invest in an imaging program like Acronis (theres free ones out there too) just *knowing* that u never have to re-install FS9 if ___ hits the fan is a great feeling. Just start up your image-backup program, hit Restore Image...done.Peace of mind is a great thing, dont wait - back it up now :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!