Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Activating all PARALLEL runways...

Is there some trick to getting FS9 ATC to assign multiple parallel runways for AI and user landings? KATL has 5 parallel runways but ATC invariably assigns I'd say 90% of landings to 8L. This causes more go-arounds than would ever be expected. I've checked the AFCAD and all the runways are ready and open for business. Ideas?Thanks

The only way to be able to land on a "quiet" runway with a user aircraft is to request that runway from ATC during your approach.However, a small program called "AISmooth" will to a high degree keep AI aircraft out of your way during your approach.Hope this helps.Hans

Speedbyrd,I used AFCAD to close a couple of runways for landing and close a couple for takeoff's. You still have to deal with fighting for position with other arrivals but if you use AISmooth it will take care of that for the most part. Good Luck !!!JimBob"Master of the Sr. Moment"

I was referring mainly to AI aircraft and their tendency to land on just one of 5 available parallels. KLAX has a similar set up to KATL and most of those runways seem to be in use. Can figure the problem with KATL.

1.20.About KATL. Most traffic to KATL comes from the north. The way FS works, that results in mostly 8L/26R being used. Traffic from the south will choose 9R/27L or 10/28 if it's there. The inner runways will be used for take-offs.I'm not sure what Jim Vile did with his KATL file, but you could try it out. If you read the description of his FSX file, you can read he got all 5 runways to work for arrivals. I'm not sure if he did something similar to his last FS9 file for Atlanta.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Name=...Vile&Sort=AddedKLAX, although similar, is somewhat different. The most noticeable difference is the runway heading. If I understand it correctly, an arriving aircraft will choose a runway that is closest aligned to its own heading at the time of runway assignment (or something like that, among other things). (You can use this to your own advantage. If you make a clever flightplan, you can influence which runway you'll get assigned.) So KLAX gets a more even spread of traffic.

Mike...