Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Soft Horizons

John, is Soft Horizons gone again from the file library? I have been tring to download it but I can't find the file.jimCYWGworking on 1000 posts

I uploaded my last update here some weeks back, but the library managers declined to add it to the library. However, it's available in Flightsim.com's libraryRegards,John

You beat me John, but indeed it's in the flightsim.com library. Nice package. I have it stored permanently in backup :)What on earth could be the overzealous reason not to accept this file here? Is there some copyright infringement?Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

"What on earth could be the overzealous reason not to accept this file here? Is there some copyright infringement?"In a difference of opinion over the way the library managers handled my reporting of someone's posting someone else's work as their "original work", I had a fit of temporary insanity and asked the library managers to remove all my prior uploads. Some months later, when I started getting requests for Soft Horizons, I updated the package and uploaded it here with a note of apology, asking that Avsim host it again. Either someone missed the file or someone's holding a grudge. I would hope it's the former, but if it's the latter I don't have time to waste prostrating myself in an apology. There's other sites that can host the package.John

John, what's the file name. I'm having a hard time finding it at flightsim. thanks!Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

LOL, type in "soft horizons" and the first result is the one you're looking for...softhr07.zip;-)

Mike...

Errrrr.... Huh? Can you e-mail the library please so we can sort this out? I don't recall any of this and if your file was rejected there should have been a reason mailed to you.

Thanks for your interest Chase. I uploaded the updated Soft Horizons package on 6-7-07. The automated response system emailed me back with these specifics:UploadID: 215096Name: Soft Horizons - 2007 UpdateSize: 206 kbMD5 sum: 29835af3c312bf5374d4939c22a07bb1I offered to upload the file based on the requests and feedback in this thread which I believe was launched on June 6th:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...3&mesg_id=21833When the file didn't show up, I sent Tom an email since he requested I send one if I ran into any issues related to the file library again. Tom didn't respond, but given his travels it might not have been possible for him to respond--probably with the email he receives, not everything can get caught. I wasn't going to worry about it and made the file available over at Flightsim so it could be uploaded by those looking for it.Regards,John

Guest ThrottleUp

Just grabbed your updated '07 version John, thanks...great work! I use it even though I have payware sky-enhancements!

Well I hope you know your file is allowed in our library, and if there are any issues please let me know ASAP. Please try re-uploading.

Thanks Chase,I re-uploaded the package this evening. Here are the stats returned after the upload: UploadID: 225033Name: FS2004 "Soft Horizons" 2007 UpdateSize: 206 kbMD5 sum: 905d4aac18482634fdf9bbf0d83bd657Hopefully it will land in its proper home this time :)Regards,John

Great fix for fs9 John. Like the poster above I use it with my payware sky package. Much better then the default horizon.Rob

Rob Prest

This time I received a response Chase. My package did include a readme, but I no longer include my email address on uploads given issues I have had with prior freeware users getting downright nasty with me. This is the first time any package I've ever had has been flagged for this (the first Soft Horizons package hosted here for a year did not include my email) and if Avsim policy now dictates we need to provide an email address to upload here, as long as other sites like Flightsim don't make that a requirement I will upload to those sites.I can provide dozens of examples of members of our community sending sheer filth to my email, some of whom seem to hold a grudge from the days I was a mod here and others who simply think the world owes them a living and have a fit if they don't know how to unzip a file. I think if uploaders are going to be made to run thru hoops to add to the library, especially those who've uploaded in the past, it's going to have an effect on the library long term. Regards,John "You didn't to include a read-me with contact information (i.e. no e-mail address in your zip archive/readme file) as per our policy as stated at the time you uploaded your file. The file must be a plain .txt file. A doc, PDF, rtf or any other files are not accepted for this. Please include your name and email address in the first few lines of your read-me file. This makes it easy for our library managers to get your file to eager flight sim enthusiasts like yourself.Simulation's Premier Resource! Regards,Paul Crowley Library Manager,AVSIM Online!"