Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

How to Release Toe Brakes On Saitek Pro Pedals

I just bought these and I can't figure out how to release my brakes now. When I apply both toe brakes, the brakes stay on! Did I miss something?As always, thanks in advance to the group!

Hi Chuck Have you got the "Reverse" boxes checked in FS9 assignments. These boxes need to be checked otherwise the brakes stay on. If you have FSUIPC make sure that you haven't assigned the same axes in in FS9 and FSUIPC one or the other is fine with reverse checked in one. Make sure that FS9 hasn't assigned the brakes to any other controller on your system.RegardsPeter Hayes

Thank you, Peter! Worked like a charm.I didn't have them checked at first and then I went back in and checked them, but that didn't do anything. The only thing I didn't do was close out FS and then start it again! :-P

Also be sure you have the same settings as printed in the little manual that comes with the pedals.

I spoke too soon! No joy. When I apply the toe pedals, "Differential Brakes" flashes on in the red box in the lower left corner for a second and then "Brakes" remains on. FSUIPC is set to ignore these axes and all assignments are set correctly in FS under the Settings tab.I'm getting concerned because I read some reviews tonight while doin my research on this problem that said the Saitek pedals don't release brakes on some computers. What am I doing wrong?TIA

NOW they're working again . . . this is getting confusing. Good thing I saved my receipt. :-)The instructions weren't clear -- I set the Null Zone to a higher setting. I hope this does the trick.

Hi ChuckGood to hear its working. Its worth remembering that for a lot of controllers to work well in FS9 you need to set sensitivity of all axes full right and null zone full left. With FSUIPC (after you have calibrated in Windows) you can "calibrate/fine tune" the axes to make sure that you get the effects that you want ie rudder when you move the pedals and brake when you brake. (you don't need to assign in FSUIPC if already assigned in FS9)RegardsPeter Hayes

Thank you, Peter. For me, I found that when I set the null zone further to the right (almost half way) is when the brakes finally started to release. Are they supposed to apply the brakes gradually as I apply more pressure, as in real life, or are they only capable of on and off application (like how the period key works on the keyboard)? I couldn't tell.Do you mind if I ask if you have found that the investment in your pedals was worth it? I just got them yesterday and flew with them for about an hour (the World Series was on and I grew up near Boston!). I'm not really clear yet on what they add to my flight sim experience that would justify the cost. Is it just to help steer the plane while on the ground and crabbing, and to replicate functionality toe brakes? I assumed that they were to add a level of realistic "challenge" to the sim, but so far that realism seems kind of marginal to me.I'm not a pilot and I've only been simming for about a year now. I thought I was ready for the additional realism of flight pedals and I'm not sure I'm really getting the full effect yet. Maybe it's too soon for me.Thank you very much for your input.

These kinds of things are usually a problem with the key assignments rather than the hardware. FS2004 tends to do weird things with assignments on new joysticks. Make sure you have nothing else doing anything with the brakes. I think I had the exact same thing with my old CH pedals, something was hitting the parking brake on me for no reason. Go into the Windows calibration and see what your hardware is doing, and as long as everything looks normal in there, the problem is within fs2004 itself. Oh, and watch for fs2004 to make changes to key assignments after you go in and set them differently. I've had that happen from time to time.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Yes you will get problems unless you set the 'Null' zones to zero.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Actually, if you see my post from earlier this morning my problems stopped when I took Null zones off zero and moved the slider to about 1/2 way.I'm a tad leery of Saitek products. I've had a lot of problems with them in the past, and they're tech support is next to useless (all they ever come up with is "PRODUCT DEFECTIVE: RETURN TO ORIGINAL VENDOR, RETURN TO ORIGINAL VENDOR"). I'm just trying to make sure I do everything absolutely by the numbers.

ChuckBefore the Saitek pedals I had used various versions of CH Products pedals and suddenly last year decided that I would try out the Saitek pedals. I have had them for about a year and I think that they are great. I might try the Saitek yoke providing they iron out a few niggling issues.Postscript: One thing that I have noticed i with some payware planes when they load you get the brakes or differential brakes message (not sure why and it can be random). Pressing the brake pedals, pushing the full stop (period) key or Ctrl + Fullstop will usually clear this phenomenon.RegardsPeterHPeter Hayes