Sign in to follow this  
Guest Slyman

AI Taxi routes

Guest Slyman

I have been trying, in vain, to edit the preferred taxi route to a runway in AFCAD. What I am trying to do is get aircraft at Schiphol Amsterdam to taxi across runway 36C/18C in order to get to the Polderbaan 36L/18R. The problem is when I use AFCAD to close runway 36C/18R, the ai aircraft always taxi via taxiway zulu, which takes them right around the threshold of runway 36C/18R meaning they never take the shorter, more realistic route. I have tried in AFCAD to close taxiway zulu by creating a closed taxiway link, but no matter what, the ai always seem to use this taxiway. I want them to follow a shorter route (as they do in real life, so that they taxi via taxiway Delta and W5 across runway 36C/18R)Does anyone know how to edit the preferred taxi way route so that aircraft follow a logical shorter route, is it even possible to get aircraft to taxi across a runway in FS2004? Any help or links to editing taxiway routes etc would be much appreciatedJohn

I have Afcads for EHAM that do exactly what you want. Are you using the default scenery or Cloud9's (I have the latter)?A closed taxiway is hardly if ever honored by the sim, if you really want AI to avoid a certain route, break the route somewhere.Also, where your route crosses 36C/18C, have you made a "diamond". In other words, will they cross without holding short?You may want to post a screen shot of the Afcad or better share the Afcad so we can have a look.

Mike...

Guest Ocala 1

Mike...would you please post your version of the AFCAD right here. Let us all learn from your knowledge of AFCAD's.Harold

Well, there are more knowledgeable people around, but if you're interested, I'll finally upload them. I've been planning to do that for a while now.

Mike...

Guest Slyman

Hi MikeI will send you my AFCAD, its based on the NL2000 scenery, and I have simply been working on it for personal use. I have spent hours setting up the AI traffic there, trying to make the gate and pier usage as accurate to life as possible. I will send you the file in a PM. I have not finished with it but its seemingly working quite nicely, only issue is the taxiing. what I would like to do is set it up so that Runway 36L is used for take off and landing, 18R for landing only, 24 for take off only, and 06 for landing only 36R landing only36C/18C closed27/09 closedThis is as far as I can tell the most realistic set up based on how most flights operate out of EHAM.As I said I would like to have AI taxi to 36 L using W5 but they always seem to go for Z.Have a look and see what you think.John

Hi,A quick explanation of a diamond route. This allows aircraft to cross runways as if the runway wasn't present (nor the traffic on that runway):1. Move the blue node on the runway (connecting the runway with the taxiway) to the right, making a > shape between the red hold short nodes.3. Create another equvalent route but this time to the left of the straight line route, creating a < shape. Now you should have something that looks like <>4. Now create a new blue taxiway line across the runway between the two red hold short nodes, WITHOUT connecting to the runway line. You should now have this: < | > The planes will now use the center taxiway to cross the runway, and the diamond to get off the runway.Keep in mind that ATC will now ignore any traffic on that runway, so you might see some occasional collisions between AI aircraft on the runway and AI aircraft crossing the runway.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Slyman

Thank you for your input, I will give that a try.Kind regardsJohn

I think that's the only option you have that's gonna make a difference. I think ATC prefers Z because then traffic won't have to cross. If you remedy that, then ATC will just take the shortest route, W5.Well, short, I've been there in real life. It takes ages to taxi to 36L and back from 18R. :DRunway 36L is used for take off and landing, 18R for landing only, 24 for take off only, and 06 for landing only 36R landing only36C/18C closed27/09 closedThat's not possible in one Afcad. For example, 24 for take-offs and 6 for landings, that's not gonna happen. You can only close an end for landings or take-offs if you close the opposite end as well. Or if you close one end for take-offs and landings and leave the other end open for both.EHAM is probably the most complicated airport to get working. My final solution is to have two different Afcads. One for winds coming from the north (270 - 90), another for winds coming from the south (90 - 270). The former has 36L for take-offs, 36C, 36R, and 6 for landings. The latter has 18L for take-offs, 18C, 18R, and 27 for landings.That's a dedicated take-off runway and three dedicated landing runways in each file. For EHAM, it doesn't get better than that. Without getting some undesirable side effects, at least in my opinion undesirable. You can have traffic depart on 24, but no matter how well you close it for landings, some aircraft will do so anyway.

Mike...