Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Mooney Anyone??

Guest delta_one

It looks to be a nice model but can anyone comment on if the navigation lights are visible out the window in cockpit or virtual cockpit view? i've also got the carenado piper cherokee.

"It looks to be a nice model but can anyone comment on if the navigation lights are visible out the window in cockpit or virtual cockpit view? i've also got the carenado piper cherokee."By default they are not, but you can make ***any*** nav light/strobe visible from cockpit and vc view quite easily. In the case of the Carenado Mooney, all I had to do was edit the three FX files for the Mooney that reside in the effects folder:fx_navredcarenmoon.fxfx_navgrecarenmoon.fxfx_strobecarenmoon.fx I changed these lines:Cockpit=0VirtualCockpit=0to read:Cockpit=1VirtualCockpit=1then restarted the sim. If this has been something you've disliked or has been a challenge with previous aircraft you enjoy, look in the LIGHTS section of their aircraft.cfg, note the files used to control the nav lights and/or wing strobes, and make the changes. Try as I could, I could not hit the printscreen key at the same moment the strobe flashed, but you can see the red nav light on the port wing in the attached shot.Regards,Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180326.jpg

Guest delta_one

John, thanks a bunch for the tip, i didn't know you could edit that and make the nav lights show as i always thought it was hardcoded into the model. i'll remember this tweak for the future.

I am very pleased with the visuals with Carenado Mooney 20J, it is so much better than the default Bravo in MSFS.However I agree with the other comments that the flight model needs work. I flew in a 1981 20J a couple of weeks ago. We were tooling along a 164 knts at 4500' msl with the engine running at 23"/2300 rpm.Tried the same flight last night after installing Carenado's Mooney, but could only get 20" of MP and only 134 knts (TAS). As others have noted the Carenado Mooney slows down too fast compared to the real ones. I kept checking to see if something was dragging. :-hmmm Alan/KJYO

Thats appears to be the MSE version and they are prized by the market. They are the same airframe but have a nicer interior with white panel and yokes. The Carenado Mooney appears to be a 1981 or later model. The first year for navigation lights enclosed in the wing tips was 1981.Here is a 1981 Model similar what Carenado has modeled.http://tappix.com/788584

Hi Mitch,Regarding writing a review, I can't promise anything as I my schedule is rather busy these days (this is what you get when at the bottom of the seniority list with any airlines :) )But if you guys have any question, feel free to PM or write here and I will do my best to answer. As I wrote in the other forum, the flight model needs tweaking (airspeed bleeds way too fast, slow flight characteristics unrealistic (barely need rudder input, tried with default Cessna and had to put in a good amount of right rudder, where the Mooney barely required any). Mitch no anti ice on my airplane, and I don

No IMC huh? It makes sense! You can always replace an airframe. You can't replace the person behind the yoke....Thanks for the response. I guess you actually DID do a mini-review right in the body of your response. :)Enjoy that career of yours! Be safe!Mitch

>>fx_navredcarenmoon.fx>fx_navgrecarenmoon.fx>fx_strobecarenmoon.fx> >>I changed these lines:>>Cockpit=0>VirtualCockpit=0>>to read:>>Cockpit=1>VirtualCockpit=1>----------------------John, I just did your mod and it works wonderfully! Nice to see the animation. Thanks for posting this. You're the whiz! :)Mitch

Guest VAA_008

Can anyone advise of another site where I can purchase the Mooneyfrom Carenado.I seem to be having prolems with Carenado' site for some reason, any download I chose refuse to work...Thanks

Guest delta_one

>Can anyone advise of another site where I can purchase the Mooney from Carenado.Flight1 has a lot of carenado planes on their website but the new mooney isn't up on there yet.

"I seem to be having prolems with Carenado' site for some reason, any download I chose refuse to work..."Assuming you already have a profile set up with them, I believe when this happens, clearing your cookies might fix the problem.John

Also, if you have a popup blocker, you may have to turn it off for the transistion.Tom

Hi AlanI just completed a check approach in the Mooney and I found it pretty well spot on in performance. Perhaps not as quick as your friend's plane but at 5000', 2300rpm and 23", the level airspeed was 140kts with 152kts ground speed on the GPS. These are figures I would expect from a slightly tired old 201 that might not be as clean or straight as the best example.To test the airspeed bleed-off, I set up an approach to YSCB via the CCK NDB (248) 20 miles out from R35, ILS 109.5. I approached the NDB from the South at around 5000' and around 140kts IAS, and over the NDB I turned onto the ILS heading and continued until the glideslope interception. I then reduced MP to 15" and flew down the glideslope. The airspeed reduced to around 120kts and stabilised at that.About 5 miles out I reduced power to 10" and as the airspeed came down through 110kts, I extended the gear and the first notch of flap, and pretty quickly I had to increase power to 15" again to maintain 100kts on the glideslope. On final, second notch of flap, maintained 15" until just about over the boundary fence, reduced to 10" or less and flared comfortably at 75 kts, and settled gently onto the runway at 60kts.If you are not getting these figures, it's probable you're not loading the flight from the default flight. Try another flight after starting in the default flight, then change to the Mooney, then change your location, in that order.CheersJohnCanberra

John,I tried again this morning, after loading a default flight, I still maintain the airspeed bleed off is not up to par with the real thing, Mooneys are famous for needed more planning to slow down. I will try to time airspeed bleed off next time I go up and report back on the forum... Happy landingsJohn