Sign in to follow this  
crvm

Who needs an FMC?

For years now my flight simming has been with the modern airliners equipped with FMCs and fancy autopilots. Right now my hangar includes the B747-400, B757, B767, B777, A320....But lately I've developed a taste for the older stuff.Today I decided to do a flight without any modern navigation systems or autopilots, and without looking at any GPS displays or the FS Navigator map....I made a couple of flights with the Flight One DC-9 - KEWR-KDTW and KDTW-KMSP, both real life routes flown by Northwest DC-9s.No FMC, no LNAV, no VNAV, no FLCH, no GPS, no autothrottle....What can I say?Navigating with nothing more than an HSI, RMI and a set of Jepessen charts, flying the full DP and STAR procedures without a fancy autopilot, in fact the only autopilot functions I used was heading hold and altitude hold.FANTASTIC!It's a hell of a lot more involved than hitting LNAV and VNAV buttons after takeoff, but it's 1,000x more satisfying when the only FMC is the one between your ears ;)If you're a fan of airliners and you want a challenge, try flying one of the older aircraft the way they were *really* flown :)

Yeap,,, I to still like doing things the old way.... But, having the fun of flying all types of aircraft, with FMC's or with out, is why Flight simming is so much fun....Cheers

I have to agree with you it's alot of fun. I have been messing with the Ariane panel and 733. I have fun flying VOR to VOR. I think I am going to try the 742 RFP package next and take an Oversea adventure. That should be interesting.Andrew

I'm with you. About the only airliner I fly anymore is an incredibly stable 737-200 that a pilot friend put together for me. No FMC, no auto-throttle, and none of that other high-tech stuff. Heaven! There is no way I'd ever go back to button pushing. I thought I was spoiled by the PIC767. But now I know I has just forgotten what real airline piloting was all about.Trip

Guest panzerschiffe

Er, most "real" airliners today use flight management computers and have autopilots that fly most of the flight. Computers are just more efficient fliers than human pilots, and for the airlines the bottom line is more important than nostalgia. But still, I can see where you are coming from. I like flying with FMC's since knowing that the autopilot will fly most of the way, I enjoy the planning, programming, monitoring aspect of the flight. Would you consider that to be inferior that hand flying the plan the entire way or using an older navigation system? Progress is a you know what...

Most REAL airlines that use the 757/767 and 737NGs just don't hit the LNAV and VNAV but will hand fly the bird up till a certain point and with landing will take manual control. Remember that the correct use of the FMC is not as simple as you seem to say. En Route changes, Holds, Descents etc are a little more complicated than just pushing the buttons! For the type of flying you are talking about I like to use the Sai Marchetti 260! Place it at Emma Field, fire up the VC with Active Camera and have a incredible time.Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith" A little learning is a dangerous thing"AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

In that case, you will love the new Aero Commander 520. No DME, no glide slope info, just a simple autopilot that will hold your altitude after you fly it there. It's a return to GA of 1952 and the flight model is excellent, by the same guys who did the Dash 7. It's avaailable here on AVSIM.Dale

Randy has an excellent point about the programming planning and flying a FMC equiped airliner. What makes FS so great is you can go ahead and try it old school. I love flying the PIC767, PSS 777, 747, AB3xx, Dash 8, also the DF 737 but I also can now jump in the Ariane 733 with no FMC and now I will start to learn the 742 RFP. I also am looking forward to the 737 NG from PMDG in the near future. Also like to Jump in the DF Cardinal and cruise around Emma Field. Like I said this is why this is fun, to me anyway. I guess it will realy keep me interested to go and mix up the flying.Andrew

Don't get me wrong, I still like flying the modern types with FMCs, but for me at least, it's just as enjoyable (and a lot more satisfying) to fly an older type and navigate my way through the DP, airways, STAR and approach with nothing more than an HSI and RMI, flying without modern autopilot systems such as LNAV, VNAV, FLCH and an autothrottle.

Well you know Nick that all pilots start out doing what you are saying. Most start with a Cessna or Piper then advance to twins etc etc. I will agree that it takes some skill to fly IFR in a GA aircraft. It's great that FS gives us all these choices. Flying with the FMC after knowing what I was doing was an incredible feeling. Also, learning how to fly VOR-VOR with your gauges etc in a GA aircraft is just as rewarding. It's a wonderful time for us flight simmers with all these very advanced aircraft to choose from. I have learned that the FAA is considering making certain FS aircraft FAA approved! Flight 1's Meridian should be at the top of the list for it's type. The only thing being is that they must replicate 100% systems accurately so even my beloved PIC would fall short. Flight Sim's greatest asset is how it brings together the world like we have here. Not many hobbies can claim such a brotherhood. Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith" A little learning is a dangerous thing"AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"