Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Heathrow 2008: Anybody help with a lights problem?

I recently got Heathrow 2008 for FS2004 by Aerosoft. It is totally fantastic and works great. But I have an issue in that the approach lights are horrifically large and burn like massive fires from about 3nm inbound and also the taxi lights all over Heathrow are huge green and fuzzy, especially at dusk and night.I run FS2004 on triple LCDs at 3840x1024x32 and Heathrow 2008 is the only airport which has this issue to a really significant extent. I also have Blueprint's KIAD for FS2004 and some of their ground lights, like runway turnoff lights, seem to be exactly the same as those in Heathrow 2008: large, fanlike things with excessive size, brightness, and light. I've had Nick's Light Fix V2 installed in my PC for a long time now but even after reinstalling the whole fix, it did nothing for Heathrow 2008. I've received no assistance or suggestions from the developer at the Simwings forum and no response to email to the developer either with screenshots. So I am posting here in case anybody can figure out how I might address this lights issue.Appreciate any posts that could help to troubleshoot this further and fix it. Thanks!JS

Hiyou need a replacement halo.bmp texture for use with triplehead2go, go to uk2000 scenery forum and somebody posted on there a link which I use and eliminates this problem at all airfieldsta

I don't have a problem with other lights, but the approach lights are exceptionally large at this airport scenery. And since they are not likely controlled by halo.bmp, changing it for a more realistic version, does nothing. The scenery authors need to fix this, but unfortunately, they don't seem to care.

Mike...

Guest hamish77

I think this might help..... UK2000 Scenery News & Announcements UK2000 Scenery News Fix for Big lights Pages: [1] Author Topic: Fix for Big lights (Read 401 times) Gary SummonsAdministrator OfflinePosts: 1244 Fix for Big lights

Guest hamish77

I think this might help..... UK2000 Scenery News & Announcements UK2000 Scenery News Fix for Big lights Pages: [1] Author Topic: Fix for Big lights (Read 401 times) Gary SummonsAdministrator OfflinePosts: 1244 Fix for Big lights

Hi, Hamish:As part of installing Nick's Light Fix V2 ages ago I edited those scalars and everything was resized beautifully in Fs2004. However, they seem to have no effect on Heathrow 2008 specifically so while all other airports have normal lighting with edited scalar, I'm afraid it does nothing for Heathrow 2008's giant burning lamps.For this reason, also, I am not sure if a half size halo from UK2000 scenery will necessarily work well for my system since the light sizes are already appropriate in the rest of the sim.I am sorry the authors of Heathrow 2008 don't seem to give a #### about providing any assistance for this because I know a number of other folks have exactly the same problem as me and have also posted on the simwings forum.I appreciate your response anyway with suggestions.JS

Yes, I saw that Mike when they posted it. Thing is I posted a week before then. I guess they weren't paying much attention as they were preparing for the AVSIM fest. We'll see what happens in another week or two I suppose.JS

I own both and dont have this problem on my 3 screen rig anymore,I did have it for uk2000 gatwick, are you sure adjusting the runway lights scalar and adding the replacement halo doesnt help cos it fixed mine.I had massive UT lights and approach lights but this is all sorted now by using both fixes. You are talking about the fs9 version?

We are talking about the Aerosoft Heathrow 2008 here, not UK2000. The scalar edits worked great for all airport lights in FS2004 but has no effect at all on Heathrow 2008. I have not replaced the HALO file. JS

Yup, try the halo texture on the uk2000 forum link, its a general fsim texture used by many things, it certainly fixed all my issues of massive light textures on approach to any custom airport ,I am however referring to use with the triplehead2go

Understood and thanks for the clarification. I also use Triplehead2go. I'll go get that fix now and try it out.Cheers!JS

Hi, Hamish and Kand:I installed that spotlight.bmp you recommended and it did make an instant diff to the lights at Heathrow by making them less big, less blinding, and slightly clearer. I also quite like the fact that the lights are rather rounder now. Previously, after using Nick's Light Fix V2, all ground lights had a starburst effect which was quite nice in a way but it was a tad overdone.I did several approaches into Heathrow 2008 at night and the overall effect is generally better with this spotlight.bmp change. The taxi lights are still excessive and very bright green all over the place but the overall visual impact is improved about 50% as compared with before so that is pretty satisfactory for me. At other default airports and various other add-on airports, all lighting is excellent. I rescaled the scalars as well and will fiddle further with them but the prognosis is quite encouraging at this stage.I think I've got another issue here, however, now that I have made the change of spotlight.bmp lights. It is that because my center LCD is a 24" running at much lower than native res (native being 1920x1200) to suit Matrox Triplehead2go, certain airport lights are very slightly fuzzy or smeary as compared with my left and right monitors which are 20.1" and therefore show the lights slightly clearer and without any mild smearing effect. I don't think there is anything I can do about this because I already am at the max res of Triplehead which is 3840x1024. If I could run the res to 4800x1024 that would be great, but I can't.So, thanks for this fix. It is welcome!JS

glad its worked for you, the triplehead is an awesome piece of kit for fsim. Certainly relit my fire for PC sim as I was to be honest getting plain bored with it, 3head really made an impact and immersion levels were restored as it actually looks a lot more realistic with the wideview I bought 3 LCD 19" monitors and dont have the problem you stated so it must be as you said to do with res, do you run in 32bit colour? regs

Yeah 32-bit everything for me. Yeah it is the res, I am positive, because when I pan with the hat switch all lights look nearly crystal clear on the 20.1" LCDs as compared with the 24" monitor. But the extra real estate generally afforded by a 24" panel is very nice indeed and I am very satisfied with it.JS