Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

gaugesound.dll problem

I'm sure this has come up before but I don't know how to solve it.When loading FS2004 I am suddenly getting the splash screen with the statement--"Microsoft has detected potentially incompatible aircraft or software - gaugesound.dll Do you want to continue? This has been appearing for a couple weeks now and I just clicked "YES" and FS loaded fine.But now it will not load. Once or twice last night it started loading 1%, 2%, very slow and never got past 55%.It Now it goes almost immediately to 55% and says "completing set-up, generating scenery file indexes." Then it will not load any farther....thinking of what new aircraft I have in the last couple weeks-- the PZL-104 WILGA by Joe Binka and Bruce Thorson,..... MAAM DC-3....AFG's Namc YS-11 V2.7 Commemorative Edition (ys-11jac.zip)..there were a few weird things going on with the YS-11 trying to install repaints as I remember, but the aircraft seems to work fine.Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Hi Bill,The most probable cause is, that you installed an addon that did overwrite your working version of gaugesound.dll with an older (incompatible) version.Unfortunately, there are lots of addon packages around (especially those with .exe installers) in which the designer very "uncleverly" lets the Installer overwrite files, like Gaugesound.dll, FSUIPC.dll and FSsound.dll, with older versions.The one I have (in the main FS9 folder) and that works OK, is has a modification date 17-Dec-2004.Regards, Rob

Attached is the version I use.Just place it in your main FS9 folder (and make sure it's not present in the FS9Modules folder)Rob

Hi Rob, I did as you said. No luck yet.There WAS a gaugesound.dll in the Modules folder, which I removed. It says created oct 22, 2007. Modified april 2004.When I copied your file to the main FS folder it asked if I wanted to replace another file same name that was created in 2006 with yours created in 2004. ??

Hi Bill,The "creation date" is probably the date you installed that version on your HardDisc. So the "modification date" (as you can seen when you right-click the .dll, and look at "properties") is the relevant one. Anyway, just make a backup of the ones you use now before overwriting it with my version so you can always revert back.Rob

Rob, I already installed your file as you said- in the main FS folder- overwriting the previous file. And I removed(and saved) the gaugesound.dll file that WAS in the Modules folder. FS still stops at 55% and won't go any farther.. humm?

But do you still get the same warning as in your original post (about incompatible gaugesound.dll) ?Because if not, I suspect your load problem is caused by something else.What helps in a lot of cases (because FS has a corrupted file like the fs9.cfg, or a flight it tries to load): rename your fs9.cfg file, and startup FS9 again which will now build a new fs9.cfg file.If OK now, make your controller/video/etc. modifications again via the menus.Rob

Guest neslesman

I bet you jus got the MAAM DC3 or something similar. Check their web site and there is a fix where you enter a line into your FS9.cfg about and old gauge. I've got it but just don't have time right now to dig it up.

Well, Well,I'm flying again. I think it was Rob's file that did it.. Never had to rebuild the cfg.I lucked out- :>)Many thanks from Rob and Nes..