Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Altitude Hold on the Nav 300A (Carenado Station Air 6II)

I can't believe that this aircraft's autopilot would not have an altitude hold feature?!?!?If so, I can't see the button on the Nav 300A panel, or how do engage it if not?It is such a PAIN to be constantly adjusting throttle and trim to maintain altitude. You would think that a plane of this cost would have a method to hold altitude other than the PIC!If anybody has this plane, and knows...could you drop me a reply?Thanks!Mitch

>It works fine for me. >Ok. how are you doing it?!?What feature/button are you using?I'm going nuts, here, lolThanks,MitchP.S. I can't see any altitude hold button to engage...on the autopilot Nav 300A panel. There is one button though that does not indent. I wonder...

>It works fine for me. >Nes, I can use that feature by using the keyboard assignment of CONTROL-ZBut...I can't find anywhere on the autopilot panel where you can access this control from said panel. If you know..where is it? Is it not modeled?!? I'm flying with the V.C. panel.Love the plane in every other way, though.Mitch

The Nav 300A modeled is only a single axis autopilot as are many of the autopilots equipped in this era and class of aircraft. Because of added expense you usually only saw a two axis autpilot when moving up to a 210 Cessna or Bonanza. As far as flying without an autopilot and maintaining altitude it actually is rather easier in a real aircraft than in the sim because of the way the dynamics are modeled and because of the incremental implentation of power setting and trim in the sim. If you have Carenado's 210 you could always retrofit its autopilot into the 206 or as was earlier suggested use the key command. There are many older pilots that actually prefer not having a rate based two axis autopilot since they will allow for a climbing stall if you get distracted.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

>The Nav 300A modeled is only a single axis autopilot as are>many of the autopilots equipped in this era and class of>aircraft. Because of added expense you usually only saw a two>axis autpilot when moving up to a 210 Cessna or Bonanza. As>far as flying without an autopilot and maintaining altitude it>actually is rather easier in a real aircraft than in the sim>because of the way the dynamics are modeled and because of the>incremental implentation of power setting and trim in the sim.> If you have Carenado's 210 you could always retrofit its>autopilot into the 206 or as was earlier suggested use the key>command. There are many older pilots that actually prefer not>having a rate based two axis autopilot since they will allow>for a climbing stall if you get distracted.-------------------------------------------------------Thank you for the reply. Great information to consider! I just received an email from Carenado that also stated that this plane did NOT have an altitude-hold feature as per the real McCoy.I found that I could simulate one merely by using the CONTROL-Z keyboard command. It works like a charm.Great plane...high-wing, water/land based,and that it holds a place for six. Man, I would want this beauty in real life---but most likely would see about upgrading to a modern multi-feature A/P.You know, if you had a plane that could accommodate three couples and their gear, can land on water or land, and they all would split the cost of fuel and landing fees, etc on vacation....it would be a great way for everybody involved to win and see the landscape by private flight AND..at their own pace.Really, this Carenado model is a beautiful plane inside and out. The sound package is great.Most satisfied! A good purchase.:)Mitch

On climbout I use shift T to set my rate of climb and to level out I use the shift Z function. I like flying in real weather so using the "invisible" autopilot keys can be a real help.

Guest neslesman

My apology Sesquatch, I swore I read Carenado Mooney. I guess I saw the Mooney a thread or two away and my eyes played tricks on me. Either that or I was drunk again.

Guest DreamFleet

The 300A is very common in real Cessna aircraft of this type, and I too flew for many years without altitude hold; that's life. The 182s and 206s of that era usually would be equipped with the 300 if the owner paid for it.Zane, in his post above, is correct, the 400A / B was usually only found on the 210 and twin Cessnas, and I use a 400A on a Cessna 421 and 400B on a 210 that I fly. Otherwise, it's like the real world (only the real aircraft cost far more) and you learn to fly without altitude hold, VS hold, and GS hold. Those with a plane that is equipped with the 300 can upgrade, but since the 400 is no longer made, they would have to get something like the S-Tec 55X, or Century 2000, and spend about $20,000 for that upgrade.Sort of puts it all into perspective, as most GA aircraft do not fly with altitude hold, and there are many that fly without any autopilot.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>My apology Sesquatch, I swore I read Carenado Mooney. I>guess I saw the Mooney a thread or two away and my eyes played>tricks on me. Either that or I was drunk again.--------------------------------No problem! I had a hunch and then went to assignments to find what you use for altitude hold. Control-Z did the trick just fine.I guess you could say it is an upgrade 'cheat'. ;)BTW, never mind flight simulation, this would be one heck of a nice plane to truly own. Seats six in bucket seats, gobs of storage, 3-blade prop, 300 horses, high wing, and saving the best for last...can land ANYWHERE you are good enough to set 'er down, land or water.My sister lives on a lake and if I ever get my PPL, this would be a great plane for my purposes. I had always imagined that I would want a plane that could hold five family or friends and let the party rip!Seriously though, Carenado did a great job on recreating it for virtual flight. A handsome plane indeed.Cheers,Mitch