Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Help With FS9 Under Vista Please?

Just installed FS9 (9.1) under Vista with no probs. All goes well until i try to load or save or flight.I'm seeing EMPTY boxes for load a flight, and if i try to save one, i get an error message 'invalid filename'.Can anyone help me with this please?Thanks

Sorry.... another one.....Should i be using the same standard set of tweeks for the fs9.cfg file file when running under Vista, or is there anything specific for it?thanks

Guys, if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.This is what i get if i try to save a flight. NOTHING saves! When i try to save, i'm told it's an invalid file name! It means EVERY time i start FS9, i have reload all my weather settings etc.Pleeeeeeeeaze.....?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180502.jpg

Hi Phil,I've recently got a new system with Vista Home Premium installed on it and although I haven't encountered the same problem you have, here's a few things you may want to try:i) I have read in various places that under Vista your "Program Files" directory is read only. I would recommend installing FS9 to another directory of it's own (assuming you have it installed in the default Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/ directory).ii) Turn off "User Account Control" (UAC). It's a pain in the backside and the cause of many of the problems people have with Vista. Unless you are totally paranoid about security or you are very ham fisted and regularly accidentally delete important files it's not necessary at all and more often that not just gets in the way.iii) Finally, have a look at this: http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/Previews/181/vista_181.htmlAfter disabling UAC and following the instructions on the above URL I now have FS9 running flawlessly in Vista, even with addons that are supposedly "XP Only".

Thanks very much for your response. Sadly, the issue still persists.I got so *&^%$ with it, i even did ANOTHER clean FS9 install onto a new hard drive. Thus, it MUST be somehow Vista related.Is there anywhere in FS9 to tinker with default folder locations?Ta

Do you have a "Flight Simulator Files" folder in your documents folder?Are you running Vista with admin rights?

In Vista - I right click on the folder which holds FS2004 - which needs to not be under Program Files - Properties > Security > I ensure that My ID, the Administrators group and the Everyone or Users group has FULL CONTROL of the folder holding FS.Also, I always change the Vista theme to Windows Classic before trying to run FS2004.I've had no success on three different Vista computers in getting FS2004 to properly drop out of the Aero desktop and work automatically.

Alas..... no! Didn't help. I have a book on Vista about 4" thick! Guess i need to go look up 'file structures';(

I'm a Broken Man because of Vista. When I put my new Rig together, I purchased Vista. I had read all the complaints about Multiple driver issues and security problems, but that was People less talented and determined than I. I am Humbled after three weeks of finding and fixing one problem, only to find two more popping up. It didn't seem to end. FS9 and FSX weren't my only problems. All my programs gave me some sort of difficulty. Vistas parting Shot to me when I tried to reinstall XP, was to reformat my drive. I wish you better Luck than Me, although I doubt that will happen.Bill