Sign in to follow this  
Guest scoeva

CTD Crossing the Atlantic

Guest scoeva

Good day all!I was wondering if anyone would know why I get a CTD while flying across the Atlantic Ocean. I've tried many flights all with the same result, a CTD about half way across. I have UT U.S.A, UT Canada/Alaska and the FS Genesis pack all installed. Also I am using FS9.1. I just got UT Europe but haven't installed it yet. Any ideas?Thanks in advanceScott

Is it one specific aircraft you experience the CTD with... or any aircraft? Is your Navdata up-to-date?If your using a complex add-on, such as Level-D or PMDG, you might have a problem with your Navdatabase that causes the CTD. If you haven't already (and can afford it), you should subscribe to Navigraph and download the most current AIRAC for your FMS system(s)Also.. are you manually programming your routes or are you using the FS9 flight planner or a program like FSBuild or FOC to create your plans?These are just starting points that may help... If you could give more specifics about the aircraft you're flying, the routing and when/where exactly the crash occurs it might be easier to diagnose! :-)- Alex

Guest scoeva

Hey AlexThanks for your response. I was using the new A340 by Wilco Pub. I used the FS9 planner and set it up as a direct GPS flight(maybe thats the problem?). I'm guessing that the Navdatabase would be up to date seeing that the plane was just released. As far as the route is concerned I tried a few like CYYZ-EDDF, EDDF-CYYZ, KMIA-EGCC etc. Exactly where the CTD happened I'm not sure, but my estimate is about 4-5 hours into the flight according to the eventviewer logs. About 1/2 way I guess.Thanks againScott

Scott, CTD's are a known problem with the wilco pub airbus series. I seem to remember something a long the lines of the downloaded nav database is not fully compatible with the bus' fmc. I gave up with my series 1 airbus because of this. Random CTD's are an annoyance, especially if you have put a lot of effort into the flight! In regards to your data being "present", i very much doubt it! The only way of getting the most current data, is as said by alex, purchasing it from Navigraph. But I cannot tell you whether this will fix your problem. Its a real shame because apart from the CTD's its the best shot at a decent airbus yet! Hope this helped, your not the only one mate!Sam.

Scott,You say you've tried a few different flights but have you tried flying them with a default aircraft?If you get the problem with the default aircraft the problem is not related to the A340 and it could be scenery related. However, if you don't get a CTD with the default aircraft then the A340 looks to be the likely culprit. In that case you need to post a message on tthe Wilco forum.It's all about a process of elimination. :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest scoeva

Thanks guysI will try the flight in a default aircraft and take it from there. I'll keep you posted of my findings.CheersScott

May be a landclass file in the wrong place. Try using FlightSim Manager to scan your scenery files...it will let you know is there is a land class file in the wrong place and even fix it for you.I had CTD and OOM errors and this was always the case with a misplaced LC file when I would install an addon. Once it is fixed, I never had the problem again.I'd also check for duplicate AFCAD files...unlikely in the mid Atlantic, but you never know. I use a file called "ScanAFD" which will show any duplicate AFCADs. (I think I got that little program at UltimateGA.)Good Luck!!Devin

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Guest scoeva

Hello againWell, to humour myself I tried another flight with the Wilco A330 instead of the default aircraft(as suggested) from LFPG-CYYZ. To my delightful suprise, no CTD. Now I realize that it's a different route than the others that I had the CTD's with, but it didn't seem to matter what route before. The Wilco A340 and A330 share the same FMS database do they not? Now I will try the A340 on a same route that caused a CTD before. By the way, one other detail that was different this time, is that I had installed UT Europe. But I didn't think that would make a difference out in the middle of the Atlantic. Or would it?We'll see what happens now.Wish me luck.Scott

Hi Scott,I'm pleased to hear you didn't get a CTD but unfortunately you're no nearer resolving the problem than before that flight.I would strongly suggest you disable UT Europe and only change one parameter before flying the pond again. The trouble with making two changes is that if it resolves the problem you don't know which one was the cause.Enabling UT Europe shouldn't impact on FS half-way across the pond but if my house depended on that decision being correct I wouldn't be so sure.Disable UT(E) and fly the original route in the default 777 and see what happens. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Scott,Before the Airbus forum was locked, there was discussion there about a CTD issue. It seems to involve certain VOR's (I don't remember if it also involved airports) that caused a CTD when the selector for VOR, airports, constraints on the top part of the panel was set to VOR if the range rings were set to 40 miles or greater. It happened to me several times, and once when I absentmindedly selected the VOR view somewhere north or Puerto Rico and the range was set to max. Boom! End of as real as it gets. As far as I recall, someone from Feelthere acknowledged this, but I don't believe it's been fixed.Try the same flight that caused a crash without selecting the VOR or airport view on the nav display before you start disabling other stuff. Maybe that's the cause.Dave

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

Guest scoeva

Hi DevinThanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately when I tried to run the FS Manger program it gave me an error code and said that the version I was trying to run was too old, but it was the most recent one available. The website it says to go to for support is no longer there. The other program worked fine.Thanks anywaysScott

Guest scoeva

Hey everyoneThanks for all of your suggestions, it's great to see so much support. Anyway I will try all of what has been suggested, one at a time. Like Ray said earlier 'the process of elimination'. Looks like I've got some work to do this weekend, but at least it's fun doing it!(Minus the CTD's of course). Again, thanks to all and I'll keep you posted.An extra big CHEERS-it's the weekend!!Scott

Yeah, I knew about that. There is a patch available on FlightSim.com. Another way to get around it is just to temporarily set your computer's clock to 2005, run the program, and then reset the clock back to today's date.Devin

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Guest scoeva

Hello againHere is the deal; I flew the EDDF-CYYZ route in the default 777,used the FS9 planner(direct GPS), and had no CTD. Then I flew the same route in the Wilco A340 and made sure that no navigation way-points were selected on the navigation display(VOR,ARPT, etc.), and I had a CTD. But this time there was no error log in the event viewer so I'm not exactly sure when the CTD took place or what errors were affiliated with the CTD. All I know is that the last time I checked in on the progress of the flight I was 1650nm from CYYZ. So, this tells us that it's not scenery related, but a problem with the aircraft right? I guess I'll head on over to the Wilco support area and see what's going on with there Aircraft. Again, I'll be back to advise you of any progress.ThanksScott

Hi Scott,Yes, it does sound like the Wilco A340 is responsible for the CTDs. It would be very strange if the act of selecting one of the waypoints on the ND was responsible for the CTD.Anything you can do to pinpoint the reason for the CTD will I'm sure be appreciated by Wilco. Is this a relatively new aircraft? If so then maybe something eluded the testers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather