Sign in to follow this  
krishcanag

FS.9 Vs. FSX

Guest ThrottleUp

The immediate differences I noticed when flying in FSX was the autogen & ground textures (like fellow simmers have mentioned). Even on my humble system I get decent (although not smooth) frame0rates with autogen & scenery at the Dense setting in FSX. I really like the autogen, it increases immersion for me. Going back to FS9 is like a huge shock because the landscape looks so....empty. I get less stuttering and hesitation in FSX as well.My personal sticking point is the views - I miss the fixed wingview that you can assing to numpad keys so easily in FS9. Dont get me wrong the camera-system in FSX is versatile but it still has not grown on me. I know theres tweaks to get around it but I havent got there yet.One other thing I must mention to those who have oldish computers like mine and are getting rubbish FSX performance: a RAM upgrade is VERY effective and is a really cheap way of squeezing more out of FSX. Putting another GB into my system TRANSFORMED FSX (along with a graphics card upgrade). I plan to get a new PC but Im holding out because Intel are going to release their next generation of Core 2 Duos. Might also look at the new QuadCores on the way. Until then its good old FS9....and its billions and billions of freeware downloads! The quality of its freeware continues to amaze.

Greg, Just about the First nice thing I've read about FSX in a long time. I would like to ask why you have to change out the two Sims. I have both on my system and don't have any clashes with both loaded. Did I mention I have two drives with a S---Load of space? I too have Ultimate Terrain and Ultimate Traffic and Ground Environment, but only with FS9. That is why I still spend most of my time with 2004. Maybe if I could bring myself to part with the Coin for these extras in FSX, I might finally make the transition all the way.Bill :9

I'll just add my two cents in here very briefly:My step sons bought me FSX for Christmas last year and it hooked me on the hobby -- I was running a really slow computer and didn't know from 8 fps to 30 fps.Then I joined here and started to learn about FS9. Bought a copy on Amazon for 18 bucks and have been flying it exclusively ever since. I bought a new computer this year just for flight simming (see my specs below) and spent hundreds (thousands?) on FS9 addons and after installing and using Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky 6.5, Ground Environment Pro, and Flight Environment, whenever I open FSX I am EXTREMELY disappointed by the look and go running back to my FS9.I like the look of FS2004 much better - FSX looks cartoonish to me now. That's just my experience and my opinion.

>>I like the look of FS2004 much better - FSX looks cartoonish>to me now. That's just my experience and my opinion.Pretty much the opposite here...I find that with the exception of "exceptional" 3rd party scenery such as FlightScenery Portland, some Glacier Bay, Fly Tampa and a few others; that it's FSX that has a much more real, and crisper photo-look.L.Adamson