Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tingoose

Original Aircraft vs. Repaints - Is it moderated?

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else get frustrated by the number of repaints that end up in the Original Aircraft library?This has long been a bit of a nagging annoyance of Avsim (and many other file libraries too) for me; I prefer orignal and interesting aircraft, not *ahem* *posky* *cough* another 737.I can't speak for others, but wading through pages and pages of the same plane with a different skin, all claiming to be 'original' is just a bit much. Each file also contains the 'standard' model for the plane, rather than using a 'base' model and aliasing the repaints (as MS intended for heaven's sake! It's even documeted in the SDK!), so the 20+ files of 9MB zipped each could probably have a fair amount of 'fat' trimmed. Lucky I am not paying for the file storage! (Which continues to be free, but for how long if it gets filled with every 737 that came off the production line?)Each file unpacks to a whopping 45MB too, so all 20 planes would mean nearly 1GB of disc space gone. OK, sure some people like 737's, but 1GB? Seriously? Are these the same people who whine about FS running slow as well?OK, yeah, these guys are freeware, and just taking part in the hobby, and yeah, they have a right to do it, too. I'm a freeware designer as well, but I tried very hard to make sure my Boomerang used plenty of aliasing, texture compression, whatever I could to keep it as small as possible. The repaints went in the repaint library, too. I'm an old school 'net user, so I still beleive in treating it like a public resource, especially if I'm not paying for it!Anyway, maybe just a rant, but maybe there might be some sense in controlling what goes where in the yet-to-be-filled FSX plane library?And maybe a seperate section for 737 repaints might be in order too!Seriously, I am sure you could break that library into 'Boeing 7xx' and 'everything else' and the split would still be 75%/25%, but at least I wouldn't have to wade through the busses to find the Tiger Moths!Bah, humbug!Adrian

Guest Tingoose

I have some sympathy with this view. I once uploaded one of my repaints into the original aircraft by mistake and the librarian who accepted the file placed it into the correct section, repaints ansd aircraft textures. I think it would be good if librarians did this always. For me, an original aircraft is just that. Repaints of previously released should go in the repaints section. Also, is there any need to repaeat the same description each time? You know the kind of thing "ifdg is proud to present. . . . . .etc etc when it is just a repaint. why not : "this is a repaint for the ifdg A320 etc etc. . ." It would certainly help searches.

A long time ago, I came to the conclusion that there couldn't actually be that many new aircraft being created every week, and that most of those files were in fact repaints.I think there's two problems here:1. I think that some people misunderstand the difference between the two libraries. Maybe they think their repaint is "original" enough to go in that library, or maybe they do not understand English as well as others do.2. The AVSIM staff don't really have the time to police the library as well as they'd like to. It probably wouldn't take that long to verify if an aircraft is actually just a repaint, but there are many other file sections which could benefit from the same attention.- Martin

Guest Tingoose

I take your point. Granted some files may need a little working out which category to put them in, but it can't take too long to work out that a file is yet another POSKY or IFDG repaint or whatever. The title or the same old gif used often gives it away. There have been many gripes about the search facility in the AVSIM library. Sorting the files would help this situation.

Guest Tingoose

Happening again with Opensky's 737-900. Each repaint gets clocked as an original aircraft........wot a filing system!!

Gentlemen and Ladies,You all bring a great point to the table. And you are right, we can't spend as much time as we want policing the library's categories. However, we try our best to manage the correct placement of files into their categories. We actually reject about 1/4 of the files basically because some people can't follow simple instructions or have some type of error. When it comes to the categories though, any one file wanting to go into the Original spot raises a red flag to me. I manually inspect that file to make sure it is indeed original. You may want to start telling the authors of these files that it can be very confusing when they upload like this. Being freeware though, we can't really complain... So it all depends on how you feel about the issue.

Guest Tingoose

Well just look at the three Opensky ones in original aircraft right now. It's quite clear that in order to get three different liveries you have to download the model 3 times and each download is at least 7.5 mb if not more. Why can't u just put one in original and the other two in repaints. If this was done all the time the search function in the coming months and years would be just a little better, and the uploader might get the message too. I actually think the onus is on the 'librarians' to tweak the sorting process. Surely a better organised library even if freeware would improve the Avsim experience and put it even further above it's lesser rivals. OK, I've said enough about this subject. Thanks for listening:-)