Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullstoplanding

Accessing CFG Files

Guest fullstoplanding

I want to get into the CFG files for the FS9 Cessna 172 and tweak the elevator trim values.This is the path I took but with no success.C: > Program Files > Microsoft Games > Flight Simulator 9 > aircraft > C 172 > aircraft CFG File. When I open "aircraft CFG File" I get a small window that says, "The reguested flight file is corrupt or can't be found." Then you're ask to click "Abort" which then takes one back to the previous "aircraft CFG File" icon. A dead end it seems. Thoughts or ideas? Thank you.Roger

You should normally be able to open an aircraft.cfg file with Notepad or Wordpad.John

try opening notepad or wordpad, then drag and drop the aircraft.cfg file in it, see if it opens that way. or right click on the cfg, select open with, then browse to notepad

Guest fullstoplanding

John,It worked. I opened the file in Notepad by dragging and dropping the icon into Notepad. Now, if I change the number-value in the eleivator trim entry, how does that change get back into the actual cfg file? It seems that the file now in Notepad is just a word document that can be printed, for example. My guess is that the amended file in Notepad is copied, re-dragged and dropped back into the aircraft,cfg file icon. I hesitate to try this as I'm afraid I'll mess something up. Please excuse my computer ignorance, but I've come upon the computer scene rather late in my life. Perhaps you could advise me further. Thank you.Roger

Guest fullstoplanding

johnh 049,Thank you, too. I was working on my reply to John and you posted before I posted it. :-) Roger

Roger, the aircraft.cfg is nothing more than a .txt (Notepad) file with a .cfg file extension, just save whatever changes you've made to it via "File > Save" within Notepad and you should be able to see the changes take effect the next time you load the aircraft. You don't even need to exit the sim, just go back to "select aircraft" after the edit and select the 172 again and you should see the changes.Any time you're about to mess with something like that and you're worried about messing something up, just right click and drag the file a short distance into the white area nearby in the Explorer window, when you release the mouse button you'll get a context menu and just choose "Copy here". That'll produce an exact duplicate of the file, only with the filename "Copy of aircraft.cfg" for example.That's your backup, the sim will ignore it because it no longer recognizes the filename, so just leave it there for safe keeping. If you ever mess something up in the "real" aircraft.cfg to the point where you can't fix it or you just want to start over, simply delete it and rename "Copy of aircraft.cfg" back to "aircraft.cfg" and you're back where you started from. Copy it again so you'll always have a backup and hack away all you want.Jim

Guest fullstoplanding

Jim,I followed your instructions and they worked like a charm. Thank you. I looked at your website. Great job.RogerAnd...John and johnh 049, thank you for your quick and helpful responses.