Sign in to follow this  
Guest frhorn

AI helicopters in FS2004

Guest frhorn

It was my understanding that FS2004 could not do AI helicopters yet I see several files here for exactly that. Am I misinformed or are there programs, files, or patches that allow AI helicopter flights?

Hi there,indeed, AI helicopters don't exists as such, i.e., with accurate flight models, in FS. However, it's possible to use tweaked flight dynamics files (e.g., from VSTOL aircraft) to approximate chopper flight behavior. That's what those file packages do and it looks OK during flight. The only "silly" bit is the take-off, which still looks like that of aircraft (landings usually look more convincing). Also, there's no hovering going on and one needs to set up a custom (overlay) AFCAD file to prevent the choppers from using the airport runway.Here's a clip someone uploaded to YouTube that shows the good and the bad:

Cheers, Holger

Here in the library there is a scenery called riodejaneirov8 that has AI helicopters in it. Perhaps you could download it and use the helicopters it comes with for you own AI project. They fly around ok but taxi on the ground. The first time I saw one flying I was surprised as I had never seen an AI chopper before.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have used the AI Helicopter idea in several packages over the past couple of years and as Holger says, they are an approximation at best as they cannot be made to hover. But they do add interest to any airport scene.My most recent AI Helicopter package is for Penticton and Kelowna BC Canada. Both use invisible airport overlays with forward departure (no push backs) techniques. Enjoy!

Guest frhorn

Thanks for everyones reply.Holger, what is an AFCAD overlay and how would one generate one?ThanksBob Marsteller

This isn't Holger but I have created several AI Heli settings and would be happy to help you get started.The process is somewhat detailed and best outlined in an exchange of e-mails rather than here.If interested, drop me a message at the address below (remove the spaces of course)o p a f l i g h t s i m a d d i c t @ v e r i z o n . n e t

Guest frhorn

David,Thanks for the offer.Right now my plate is full learning to fly helies and designing a new airport (Miggs Field, Philadelphia)but sometime down the road I'll be interested.Thanks againBob Marsteller