Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

What controls with "window" is in FRONT

The other day I was flying the Baron 58 and I keep the GPS up in the panel all the time. When I clicked to set a radio freq, the radio panel came up BEHIND the GPS and I had to get rid of the GPS to see all of the radio panel. Normally the radio panel comes up in FRONT of the GPS so you can set your freq, git rid of the radio and have you GPS still up. What controls which of these "windows" are in front / back? When they come up wrong how do you change them? The next time I flew this aircraft they were in "correct" order with no action from me ???? Thanks jerrycwo4

As far as I remember it depends on the order in which you open the windows. John

I can not believe that NO one knows what controls with "window" comes up first or last on a panel. I could NOT be the only person to ever have had this problem. Opening one window before the 2nd one does NOT control which window is in front or behind the other one. I just don't know how it works ( like "layers" in Photo Shop ?) jerrycwo4

Jerry- just drag one of these popups aside a little, so that neither overlaps the other. Problem solved. Or you can undock them and whichever is clicked on, will land on top. An even better solution is multi monitors- on my setup, all popups are open all the time on monitors #2 & 3 - laid out as a lateral extension of the 2D main panel on #1 mon.Alex Reid CYYJDF Baron 58 Dusk LAX R25Rhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181250.jpg

Jerrycwo4, I thought I'd do a quick experiment to see if was right.I loaded the default King Air, then opened the GPS followed by the Radio stack. From then on the GPS was always behind the Radio. I then loaded the default Cessna and then back to the King Air. This time I opened the Radio first followed by the GPS. Amazingly the Radio was always behind this time no matter in which order I subsequently opened the windows. Try it, it DOES work for me.John

The priority of panel windows (priority: which panel Window is in front/back) is a bit of a mess in FS.Because it not only depends on the order in which you opened the windows, but also on the Ident= of that Panel window (especially with addon aircraft that define their own panel windows).The only way to get a deterministic behaviour (priority) independant on Id's or opening sequence, requires that you edit the panel.cfg's.You can do that as follows:In each Windowxx section of the panel.cfg, add the linezorder=*where '*'is a sequence number (0,1,2,3 etc)The Window with the lowest number, has the lowest priority (ie. always sits at the back).So, allthough not really necessary for most aircraft, you should give the main panel window (usually Window00) the number "0".Rob

John I tried just what you said and you were correct. Every time I switched between the two aircraft the position of the radio and the GPS changed. The Gps was in back, switch aircraft and back to original aircraft and the GPS was in front.... really strange. Thanks to all of you who gave me input. jerrycwo4When I right clicked on the radio or the gps the "undock window" was "GRAYED OUT" why?????????I also found out that every time I rotated between the Cessna 182 and the Beechcraft King Air 350 the window positions of the radio and the gps CHANGED, from front to back and then back to front??????

Alex... all of you people that use multi monitors (almost) NEVER show the aircrat in the spot or outside view. I fly in this mode 75 % of the time. Would you PLEASE, PLEASE show a screenshot from the OUTSIDE view. Do you see a aircraft in each of the 3 views (BAD) or only in the center view with scenery views on the right and the left? jerrycwo4

In a triple monitor setup, you click on the monitor of the view you want to change. Then you can scroll through the views on THAT monitor only. The other views never change.

Jerry- Outside,spot,tower views (S key), show up on whichever monitor has the focus. That is, click on a monitor then use S or W keys. I've never bothered with these views before! So you can have Spot on one, Tower on another, and still have view fwd etc. Just tried Spot on all three- triple formation flying!!! I'll see if I can come up with a screenie.Alex Reid CYYJ

Jerry- Here's the Screenie! Horizons don't line up in the changed views without some setup changes- but it shows the idea. Also my outer mons are angled toward me- the screenie flattens them and skews the aircraft alignment.This pic also shows Don Grovestine's new CYYJ scenery- just downloaded it last night. Very accurate!Multi Mons- the only way to fly!!!!Alex Reid CYYJDF Baron 58s- formation landing at CYYJ R09http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181598.jpg

Hi Kimchoc- you can change each view independently- see the screenie above! Some interesting possibilities here!Alex Reid CYYJ

Alex (and others) Thanks for the info on the views. I have the money saved to go to a 3 monitor system, but I'm not sure that I want it.1. When I fly in the "spot" view I ONLY want to see my aircraft in the center with scenery views on the right and left monitor. I dont want to see three differant outside views of my aircraft.2. I fly 99% of the time in the 2d mode. I understand that this is either not possible or practable to fly in the 2D mode using 3 monitors.Do I have my info correct? jerrycwo4

You are correct in wanting to fly with the spot view on the center monitor. No problem. Click on the center monitor and scroll through the views as you wish. Stop on the spot view. NP.On either side view, you have the same choice. But to set them to show the left/fwd and the right.fwd, you use the "Views" drop down box. Example:The first monitor I set up is my left. So that is view 01. Create new view. Undock view. Drag to left monitor and resize. Set up view 01 to show left/fwd view out the cabin by using the View setup drop downs.Next I setup my right monitor. That is view 02. Create new view. Undock view. Drag to right monitor and resize. Use the view drop down to set View 02 to right/fwd. Once you get your three monitors you will see what you can do with them. Now, I have FS to "start with previous flight", so once I've done the above, it comes up just like I left it when I start Fs. You don't have to set these views up each time you start Fs. You have to set them up when changing planes. I only do that every few days or weeks , so its not a big deal.Also, I run in windowed mode so all this is easy.I guess the last thing I could tell you is that you can set ANY monitor to ANY view you want using 2d. Top down on one, spot on one, cabin on one, tower on one, look fwd, look right, look left, look behind or one can be gauges. Anything you can undock, can be moved to any monitor.I've been talking about making a video of this process so i guess I'll move it up my priorities list. Picture is worth a thousand words.Hope all this helps.