Sign in to follow this  
GGLurch

AI-Traffic landing at same runway and same time when i ...

Hi everyone,just started with FS2004 and i have a problem. I did some flights now and at 4 out of 5 landings there is a AI-plane coming in at the same runway at the same time. I did get permission to land and while monitoring my landing approach i see the ATC giving the same runway free to another plane. Since i have not seen any planes while approaching i switch to external view and there is plane (usually B737) pretty close - less than a mile off - approaching the runway. It is not like I am 10 miles out - but i can see the runway clear and i am on final approach - its just a matter of minutes to touchdown. Usually it ends either in a crash or i have to abort landing and do it all again. Even this is sometimes failing since the AI-plane is so close i hit it while aborting.At first i thought - well tough luck. Then I thought i did not get the runway right the ATC is assigning to me. Then I thought - well ATC knows what it is doing and maybe planes are landing that close - but i usually run into the other plane someway or another. No wonder if your are trying to land like 200 feet behind. I monitored that now very closly - sometimes i got permission and as soon as i confirm the permission the ATC is assigning the same runway to another plane for final approach. Sometines the AI is assigning the runway to a AI-Plane and then immediately is assigning the same runway to me. I do see the ATC orders for altitude and direction pretty early though. However - ATC is not putting me to another runway and is letting me wait somehow.What also is strange - my AI-traffic is not that much - but most of the time there is plane landing at the same time and runway. Even if the Airport has left and right runways - the second runway is never used. Now i counted these landings and like i said - 4 out of 5 landings are this way (did it 25 times with 20 ending up like this - hope the math is right) - and this is no fun after a 3 hour flight.What am I doing wrong? Is there anything i have to change in the FS settings? Although i doubt that this is only happening to me - i could not find anything concerning this problem somehow.Thanks GG

Guest Albatross7107

THis won't help I'm afraid, but I know your pain...Just last night I was making a visual approach at Miyazaki (sp?) RWY 09. I knew there was another plane in the area, making the same landing, as I could hear him talking to the tower. Usually you get something like "... number 2 to land" if there are two of you. If #2 gets to the runway first he gets a go around from the ATC.This time however, there were no such designations, we were both being directed through to a final about 10 miles out. (I was on an IFR flight plan)As I was making my final turn all of the sudden I've got MD83 wings from side to side on my monitor!! Right after I said "HOLY (CENSORED)!" I hear "Beech 29 Zulu, Traffic Alert less then one mile, Boeing MD80, at (I don't remember) o'clock. Report them in sight"And I'm think, no foolin - idiot...The point that I'm getting at is that the FS9 ATC is, well, less then perfect to put it mildly.While I haven't experienced what you describe, I've certainly had my share of ?!?!? moments with the ATC and AI aircraft.(like the AI that drove RIGHT INTO ME as I was PARKED! Or the numerous times I ended up face to face with another plane on the Taxiway - do not pass go, do not collect $200) THank god for the 'slew' key...

Well at busy Airports with a lot of AI traffic, FS9's ATC is pushed to the Limit. I find an AFCAD with multiple or alternate runways, approaches and landings and takeoffs, such as some Jim Vile and other Genius's have developed, alleviate the problem considerably. You can also accelerate voicepack radio communications. This can really speed up conversations between ATC and aircraft. A lot more instructions in a shorter time. I can honestly say I've never had an AI aircraft crash into me, but I've met a few headon on the taxiway. ATC's instuction was to either of us to hold for other traffic.I usually break the rule by taxiing into the dirt and around the other aircraft or just wait for five minutes and He'll disappear. Some times I'm told to go around and I see the aircraft ahead of me leaving the runway, so I disregard this instruction. After all , it is just a simulation. What are they gonna do? Restrict me from flying and pull my Simmers licence? Worst case, "You were not cleared to land. Clear the runway immediatly."Enjoy it! Bill ;)

Guest jwlaurie

I've been using FS9 since day one and have never had this problem up until two days a go and have since had it a couple more times. I was on an ILS approach to CYVR when another A/C pulled out onto the active right in front of me. Always in the past they have waited until I cleared the runway but not lately. To ATC's credit they did order me to go around at the last second but again I say, this is very unusual.Oh well, just more like real life I guess,Jeff

Thanks for your replies. Good to know i am not the only one trying to get along with the ATC.And thanks to Jim for the AI Smooth thing. Gonna try that out.You see - ATC problems on the ground dont bother me that much, since neither didnt i take off yet nor is the flight over, but after some hours of flight.....lets just say i get beer and turn on my TV .But here is my special ground control story:Im in a MD-11F - FedEx from PANC to KLAX, getting permission to roll to my runway. On the way i notice 2 other planes lining up behind me. Well - after rolling for a couple of minutes i get to my runway, prepare the plane (just get the flaps in position and putting in the giving altitude to climb for) and try to contact the tower - the other two planes kindly waiting at runway entrance. Then i get a control message: "please wait, MD83 has permission to start.." or something like that. Well - what was i suppose to do? Parking my MD-11 at the side and let the other plane pass? So - i pushback as far as possible, so the plane is barely on the runway. MD83 rolls on the runway and lifts off. I contact tower - get permission to lift off and then immediately get another message to wait for the other plane to lift off. ##### - i had it then and started the flight from scratch.Thanks everyoneGG