Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jake81499

Working on an airport.

Guest Jake81499

Hi all,I'm trying to do some fixes on KRWL in my town. I need to move and delete buildings, take out the trees, fix the parking area and such. I downloaded Lee Swordy's Afcad program, SceneGenx, and EZScenery. With SceneGenX it was easy to do all the moves and fixes. The sgx file is saved. When I try to convert it to a BGL file I get errors saying the file is bad. The Lee Swordy program doesn't show the buildings that need removed and fixes. The EZScenery is a nightmare, and I already paid for it and it looks like it won't really do what I need it to do anyhow. I looks like my best bet for the field repairs is the Scenegenx but how do I get around the error? Any ideas?Here's what it says.===== BGLCOMP Compiling: krwl.XML ==========Parsing document: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon Sceneryscenerykrwl.XMLERROR C2033: XML Parse Error (line, column, error)ERROR: 671, 50, maxLength constraint failed.The attribute: 'ident' has an invalid value according to its data type.ERROR: IDENTIFIERs can have a max of 6 charsERROR C2031: Failed element parse ERROR C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!Parse complete!

I do not use SceneGenX so cannot comment on possible errors the program has generated.But if it uses BGLCOMP to create the compiled bgl file, many of the sometimes strange error messages you see are due the fact that the required "parser" (a companion program for BGLCOMP from Microsoft) has never been installed.If that is the case, you can download it from the following link:http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6...1629c/msxml.msiHope that may help you situation.

Guest Jake81499

The msxml.msl is installed, I even removed and reinstalled it to make sure. I can create the xml file but I cannot import it back into ScenGenX without getting an error. I completely restarted what I was doing without using the old files and got all the same errors. I cannot build the BGL without error as I said in the first post.I was told on another forum to run the BGCOMP.exe from the command line prompt. That doesn't work. It can't find the *.xml file. I also tried a .txt file which the docs of BGComp says to do and it still couldn't find the file. "C:Program FilesSceneGenX Scenery Generator for FS2004BGLCompbglcomp.exe rawlins_krwl.txt" as an example.SO,,,, I think I just downloaded a bunch of programs that don't work. SceneGenX has a bunch, TON, of errors, Lee Swordy's afcad apparently only works to build and fix the tarmac not the buildings, EZ-Scenery doesn't seem to do tarmac and you have to know what the scenery file name is to remove it. I made the mystake of paying for the latter.What I am trying to do is straighten out the local airport including removing buildings that aren't really there, fix the parking area and adding buildings where they should be. I would like to go into the town scenery and remove a bunch of trees and multi-story buildings. What program should I be using?I attached the file that I'm trying to turn into a BGL. I'm sure the buildings are oriented wrong since I can't test the file. The hanger doors need to face the taxiways or parking areas.ThanksTim

Guest Jake81499

Well I guess I can't add an attachment.

I personally use Exclude Builder when working on airports to start with a "clean slate". It is in the library: excbuilderv2.zipFirst, I exclude much or all of the airport area to get rid of all trees, buildings, etc. Then, I use afcad to make my own taxiways, and other corrections. Finally, then I use Instant Scenery from Flight1 to add objects I want to the airport.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Jake81499

Exclude builder was my next question, Thanks.I found a program online called Easy XML that helped get everything in order. It goes inside the BGLComp folder. It converts TXT files to XML. I ran it and it said there was an error. I was then able to check the file using a txt editor and fix the error which consisted of a name that was one character too long. Then I could convert the file no problem. I tried to import it into SceneGenX and SceenGenX still said there was a problem. I think this problem is in the program because when I import it goes OK but I can use it or do anything with it because the program crashes. So, I opened the SGX file with notepad and was able to fix the name error in there. It then loaded into SceneGenX and convert it to a BGL file no problem. Now the problem is old scenery where it shouldn't be.I really feel for the guys that make the scenery, this is a nightmare.

Guest Jake81499

Ok, Exclude builder removed everything but the trees. I've got one annoying tree in the middle of a taxiway. How do I get rid of that one. Also, I need to raise some of the buildings and rotate some others. Can I do that with SceneGenX without having to restart the process all over again?

Guest tmond

Maybe I should not interfere but I hv a question. I installed a AFCAD And everything went well except my ATC tower is now about 1/2 mile behind the airport(which I hv to laugh about). How come?Tim:-)

Guest Jake81499

I don't know why, I do know there seem to be some things I can't remove or change. When I run the SceneGenX program, it shows locations of some water tanks. If I delete them they just come back. Using the excbuilder program I was able to remove most of the items but not all, like the trees, water towers and many buildings. There where buildings I could modify but not delete even by building the exclude. I do need to get rid of the water tower to the southwest of the airport and one tree which is in the middle of a taxiway. The rest of the buildings I can live with. Rawlins is a ghost town and I seriously doubt there will ever be any buildings that close to the airfield. Anotherwords I'm trying to make it a little more realistic using Google Earth and what I know is really there.

It sounds like you may be misunderstanding what EZ-Scenery is for. It does not edit default scenery files...you use it to create scenery files of your own using scenery object libraries. The basic process, which I've used myself dozens of times, has already been described here: 1) create an exclude to get rid of the default scenery, 2) use afcad to create/modify the taxiways and aprons, and 3) use EZ-Scenery to place new buildings and other scenery objects. In my opinion, trying to edit the default scenery is needlessly complicated.Sometimes exclude files can be flakey, and you end up with something like the tree in the middle of the taxiway. The only thing I can suggest is to fiddle with the size of the exclude and with the options for what types of scenery to exclude. Sometimes it works to make a seperate exclude just for the stubborn object.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

Guest Jake81499

OK, Yes you right, this has been difficult. I got it all together though and it was a learning experiance. The only error now is one tree and a water tower. I tried several excludes around the tree including all the options and it wouldn't go away. What I want to do is set up the scenery at the airport in an original file which I can upload AVSIM for download. I'm asuming the file I already completed would be copyrighted because I used the default runway and the taxiway I found in another downloaded AFCAD, Neither of which where quite perfect.I have another question about Exclude, will be back.

>Hi all,>>I'm trying to do some fixes on KRWL in my town. I need to move>and delete buildings, take out the trees, fix the parking area>and such. I downloaded Lee Swordy's Afcad program, SceneGenx,>and EZScenery. With SceneGenX it was easy to do all the moves>and fixes. The sgx file is saved. When I try to convert it to>a BGL file I get errors saying the file is bad. The Lee Swordy>program doesn't show the buildings that need removed and>fixes. The EZScenery is a nightmare, and I already paid for it>and it looks like it won't really do what I need it to do>anyhow. I looks like my best bet for the field repairs is the>Scenegenx but how do I get around the error? Any ideas?>>Here's what it says.>>===== BGLCOMP Compiling: krwl.XML ==========>>Parsing document: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight>Simulator 9Addon Sceneryscenerykrwl.XML>>ERROR C2033: XML Parse Error (line, column, error)>>ERROR: 671, 50, maxLength constraint failed.>>The attribute: 'ident' has an invalid value according to its>data type.>>>ERROR: IDENTIFIERs can have a max of 6 charsERROR C2031:>Failed element parse >ERROR C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:>>ERROR: ERROR: version = 9.0>ERROR: >>ERROR: ERROR: lat = 41.8047916889191>ERROR: lon = -107.204300165176>ERROR: alt = 2057375.006>ERROR: type = TERMINAL>ERROR: frequency = 109.4>ERROR: magvar = -13.0>ERROR: region = AA>ERROR: ident = RAWLINS>ERROR: name = >ERROR: nav = TRUE>ERROR: dmeOnly = FALSE>ERROR: dme = FALSE>ERROR: >>ERROR: >>ERROR: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!>>Parse complete!>SceneGenX stores its project data in a text file of its own format. But it will generate an xml file that (at least in theory) is compliant with the FS9 bglcomp sdk. It then calls bglcomp and displays any errors received from bglcomp. In this case bglcomp is telling you a vor identifier can only have a max of 6 characters (In fact I think you should have 3, which in this case is RWL). I looked at KRWL in SGX, and see there is a bug, in that the "ident" field for the VOR is blank, which is causing the problem. Once you put in RWL it will compile OK.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181202.jpgscott s..

Guest Jake81499

Ok, Thanks.I'm still working on it all. I just figured out how to add the exclude file to the main BGL file which is helping out allot. I managed to create a single exclude that removed all the bad stuff I've mentioned in the early posts. It's good and clean now and looks great. The next step is to install the fuel pumps to the east of the main parking area and add a heli landing area to the north of the main runway. I also need to add the beacon light and runway lighting.ThanksTim

One thing about excludes. There is a bug in the Microsoft compiler, where if there are multiple exclusion rectangles in the same bgl file, the all will work, but the attributes from the first exclusion in the xml will be used for all the following. So if your first exclusion was set to exclude all buildings, and the next one to exclude taxisigns, the second one would only exclude buildings as well. So if you want multiple excludes to exclude different things they need to be compiled into different bgl files. For FSX I think this was fixed in the sp1a update.scott s..

Guest Jake81499

By George I think I've Got it! I got everything done that I needed to do. A problem I found is when I import a BGL file with the exclude in it, the SceneGenX looses the exclude. It has to be pasted back into the XML once the editing is done and Easy-XML has to then be used to recompile to XML to a BGL. If I try to load the XML into ScenegenX the program crashes in a serious way.Next I need to see if there is a way to place a rotating beacon or just a beacon onto the tower. I found the beacon base and installed it without a light. The original beacon was in a totally wrong position. I didn't add the second parking area for fueling but I placed the pump and fueling area more out of the way. The local airport offers most fuels so I added them also. I noticed my B-29 wouldn't fuel before doing the switch.Now, since this is basically a complete redo of the field other than the runway, can it be uploaded to AVSIM without infringing on copyrights??