Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jake81499

Working on an airport.

There is a tutorial online here which tells how to easily add a rotating beacon to any loctation. This is the default FS beacon which has a tower base, but if you are clever, you can adjust the height so only the beacon shows above a building - if that is what you want.Look for rotating_beacon_tutorial_updated.zipThere are tutorials on many useful subjects in the library in case you had not discovered them.

Guest Jake81499

No I haven't found the tutorials yet. I'll look for the rotating beacon tonight. Thanks.

Hi,In SceneGenX when you use the Add 3D Object and select the Beacon Base from the list, then change the drop down box for the Beacon (on the same screen) from None to Civilian (or what you need). Then the rotating beacon will show up at the top of the tower.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Great topic - almost a running tutorial in and of itself with some of the best chiming in. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Jake81499

Ok, I didn't see that in the list under SceneGenX. I'll try again.Here's another problem. With the completed bgl file, when I import it back into SceneGenX, the exclude line goes away and has to be re-added with a txt editor. It's kind of a pain. Any ideas on this?

Hi,Don't add it to the ScenGenX file. Compile it separately and then add the BGL file to your scenery's folder. Or even simpler, use ExcBuilder v2 to create the exclude BGL file for you.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Jake81499

That's what I'm doing. Excbuilder does the final compile. Scenegen really doesn't like excludes for some reason. Next question, Now that everything works kinda, the runway in front of the plane disappears as the plane cruiser up the runway for takeoff or landing. Any ideas?As in the rest of these posts, I did a wide area exclude to remove all the scenery around the airport. Then I placed the buildings and stuff where they actually are in real life. Now the runway disappears...On the FSX KRWL field, I downloaded the Scenery Tech package from Flight1.com and it looks much more correct than default although the hangers are huge compared to the small personal shacks we actually have.

Guest Jake81499

I just found another scenery editor called Instant Scenery on Flight1.com. It looks a little like the abascus scenery editor called EZ-Scenery. EZ Scenery won't edit scenery that wasn't saved by EZ-Scenery. Does anyone know anything about Instant Scenery and if it will do the editing of default scenery? I'm just digging for a better editor.Tim

The Instant Scenery program actually looks a lot like the EZ program because it was created by the same author. It however has several added options which, in my opinion makes it far more versatile.These programs are OBJECT PLACERS - using the FS default objects, plus the hundreds of RWY12 objects and EZ objects in libraries which many designers have graciously shared online.The programs cannot create new objects but does a wonderful job of placing objects from the various available libraries into your scenery creation.I have used both and prefer the Instant Scenery program which also works in FSX. The suport from the Flight1 folks is vastly superior to the Abacus group.

Guest Jake81499

Ok, I started over again completely using ExcBuilder and a blank slate. I placed all the scenery using EZ-Scenery and thought I'd lost all my work but it was saved to another directory for some reason. Scared me! The BGL came out exceptionally well using google earth and visuals of what buildings are where. I doubt I'll be able to upload it to AVSIM because of the number of different buildings that are used.Now for the next problem. There use to be a parking area specifically for fueling. I added the area but (Without using SceneGenX) how can I set up for automatic fueling. When I run the BGL through ScenGenX that is when I get the runways disappearing in front to the plane so I can't set up the fueling station with that program.Thanks AllTim

Guest Jake81499

Ok, I'm answering all my own questions here. To make the fuel depot without saving with ScenGenX, I saved my original files so that I wouldn't loose them first. These are KRWL_Exclude, KRWL_Scenery, KRWL Windsock and AF2_KRWL. There is a windsock tutorial on AVSIM which I used to make a decent windsock.I first imported AF2_KRWL which is the runway, into SceneGenX and created the fuel depot. Then I saved the AF2_KRWL.XML file. I opened it with a TXT editor and coppied the fuel depot portion which was all the way at the bottom of the file. I pasted that into the the KRWL_ Windsock.XML file and used Easy_XML_BGL to compile the finished product. Worked Great! I'm going to leave it as several files and not try to compile them further. If it works, don't fix it.<?xml version="1.0"?>I may upload this finished group of files to AVSIM but I don't know if it will look right if you don't have all the scenery files already installed. I used a wide variety of files. If anyone knows what do do here, please let me know.Thanks for the great suggestions and help.Tim