Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Getting runway landing clearance sooner....?

The user aircraft cannot get it's landing runway direction til 31 miles out or less. The AI aircraft seem to get them much further out, sometimes even more than 100 miles out. Is there any way for the user aircraft to get it's landing runway further out than 31 miles. At some airports (KORD) you don't get your clearance til your too close to the airport to do a proper approach.. Thanks

Guest c210_cvs

Listen to ATIS and make an educated guess which runway is in use or use something like Radar Contact for more realistic ATC.

Guest ha5mvo

Radar Contact won't give you the runway sooner than that. The "educated guess" method works quite well though.If you are using AS, load the flightplan and you can have the arrival weather on the radio, or use the fetch function to get it.

actually Radar Contact will give you the info at about 50 miles. For whatever reason, I don't particularly care for RC all that much. The other suggestions noted are certainly worth looking into. Thanks a lot.

I look ahead at the weather and tune the ATIS about 50 miles out.

Guest MattNW

Actually you shouldn't need it that far out. If you are flying VFR then you are expected to enter the pattern about a mile or so from the airport (usually on the downwind leg). When you contact the tower they will tell you to enter right or left traffic pattern. You can tell from that which runway to use. For example if the tower says, "Enter right downwind" you will make a left hand turn parallel to the runway to enter the pattern and from there turn right onto base and right again for final. That will place you exactly onto the correct heading for the runway.If they direct you to fly a right base instead of entering the downwind you will fly perpendicular to the runway until you can make a right turn to line up. If you are flying anything big enough or fast enough to need more than 31 miles to prepare for landing you should be IFR to be realistic.

>If you are using AS, load the flightplan and you can have the>arrival weather on the radio, or use the fetch function to get>it.I'm not sure I get what you're saying (and I'm assuming AS means ActiveSky) -- How soon can you have it on the radio? I use FSNavigator to auto calc my flight plans -- I can't tune in before take off, while plotting my course in FSNav, can I?Chuck B.