Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

Teterboro Rwy 19

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that the localizer to RWY 19 at Teterboro is off? If I followed the localizer I would end up about 20-30 feet right of the rwy.

Yes - it's slightly off the runway heading like the real world to help clear a hospital a mile and a half north of the runway.

I see there's a new appr chart for KTEB ILS 19. Wonder what that's about?scott s..

Guest Reed203

A lot of airports have offset localizers usually for terrain clearance, be it a mountain or a building within a certain height and a certain vicinity of the runway centerline. If the localizer is offset to the runway centerline a certain number of degrees, it becomes an LDA. Honolulu (PHNL) and La Guardia (KLGA) are good examples of these as they both have LDA approaches. They are fun to fly because it requires a tight turn to final.

KTEB's localizer is not offset - it's heading is just about 5 degrees off the runway course.With the visibility minimums for the runway/ approach - there is plenty of precision to guide an aircraft down to the MAP/ Decision point - yet it does require a slight adjustment by the flight crew for final runway alignment.KTEB's runways are not certified for CAT II or CAT III approaches which take an aircraft all the way to the runway.Also the LDA/DME Rwy 28L Offset approach at PHNL is one of the most fantastic to fly in FS. http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0712/00754LDAD26L.PDF