Sign in to follow this  

Sounds for Aero Commander - Not too great!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but the Baron 58 sounds do not seem to be most appropriate for this aircraft. I have seen videos of Bob Hoover (I think that is his name) flying the Aero Commander and doing all kinds of crazy stunts in this aircraft. The sound of the engines seemed to have more of a whine to them compared to those of the Baron.What is everyone else's opinion about this? Do you have any recommendations for a substitute (freeware or commerical) sound set? Maybe a DH6 Otter set? Just guessing here folks! Perhaps someone who has been around the Commander can provide some insight.Keith

Keith, The reason the aircraft sounds like a barron is because the aeorcommander has the same engines as the barron, The aircraft Bob Hover flies is turbine powered, it's a shrike. a from of Turbo commander.. So the sounds are accurateDon Harrison

Don and Keith,Not to nitpick - or cause embarrassement - but just for the sake of accuracy - the Shrike Commander that Bob Hoover flies (or used to fly) is powered by twin IGO-540 350HP Lycoming engines.Regards,Leon

Guest Douglas K

I'm not nitpicking either, but you can do better than the sounds that came with the Microsoft Baron. The FS2002 Baron sounds are supposed to represent the Continental IO-550, it's debatable if they actually do.The Aero Commander 520 was powered by two Lycoming GO-435's that drive the props through a gear reduction assembly, the engine rpm on the geared Lycomings is around 700 rpm higher than the newer Continentals on the late model Barons so there would be a difference in sound between these two airplanes.With that in mind -and since the default Baron sounds are pretty lackluster- you should give this sound package a try:FS2002 Beech Baron 58 Sound RevisionName: bbsndrv1.zip By Aaron R. Swindle, Skysong Soundworks.Available at www.flightsim.comI use these on the FS2002 Baron and they are a big improvement over Microsoft's idea of what a high performance twin sounds like.

Guest lawyerpilot

Garretts (turboprops)? Was it the 550? The 520 is from the late fifties and sixties is it not? The Garrett's were added in the late sixties and seventies. Could someone verify this? Is the TP Garrett model similar to the King Air 200 in performance? Certainly not the KA 300-350?Thanks, CBASEL Instrument - 220 hours.

I am using the sounds from the FSD Seneca. I have never flown in a Commander from the 50's or 60's nor have I been around one. I just think it is a cool airplane and just figure this is the closest I could get to great sound quality.

For the money I paid, I think it sounds fantastic. Now, for a more realistic sound, perhaps a more faithful set can be devised, but the lack of a sound set, imho, doesn't take away from the quality of the work on the rest of the plane.Just keeping it in perspective, guys. Milton and team did a great job with this one, and I am grateful for them as one of the endangered species of freeware contributers to our hobby.Regards,JonathanKATL

Guest lawyerpilot

Because the 520 is a normally aspirated engine without a turbo, the whine of he turbo at higher RPMs on the Seneca would be a little out of place. But, simulation reality is relative to the user. The answer to my question above is that the 600 series and newer had the turbine Garretts, after Gulfstream purchased them. Prior to that the Barron sounds are probably pretty accurate for the 520-580 series I believe, the normally aspirated piston models.. Might even try the 421 sounds from Flight One, they are probably pretty accurate as well.

Wow! I never anticipated this kind of response to my sound question, but I certainly do appreciate all the good info and insight.Please understand that my quest to find a "close to reality" sound set for this excellently developed model was in no way intended to be a criticism of the overall model itself. It is absolutely gorgeous and handles fantastically. This team definitely knows their stuff, and I realized that with the Dash-7 (one of my favorite aircraft).I will try the Aaron Swindle sound set to see how that performs, and then experiment here and there until one clicks for me. After all, this hobby is nothing more than a bunch of personal preferences over which we have a lot of control.Thanks again for all your input.Keith

Guest Milton

Keith,It is important to you to find sounds that make your experience pleasant. :-)The beta team included one Aero Commander 520 owner/pilot. His comments were the sounds were great, missing only the clunk of the nose gear upon retraction and the hydraulic flaps produced a different sound.There are no authentic AC520 sounds around that I could find in my search. I thought about approaching Aaron Swindle who allowed me to modify his awesome C-130 sound set to use for the Dash 7 project. However, Aaron is now commercial and I felt uncomfortable asking him about using or producing a freeware sound set here.I did however spend lots of time documenting the sounds I needed and asked a 520 owner to record sounds, which he did. He also produced an external and internal "walk-a-round" for the project, AND a blow-by-blow once around the pattern, including a roll.I have not been able to convert these sounds from A Sony DV tape yet for use.Lastly, I am always cognizant of download sizes and having no sound set, was at least happy that a close set of defaults would put us in the ballpark while minimizing download size for modem users especially.There are many aspects of projects that we as freeware developers would like to do differently, but it comes down to time and money. If I ever get some, I would like to upgrade this 350 mhz so I can fly my own aircraft. :-)Warm RegardsMilton Shupe

Guest Milton

I tried this sound set hoping it would work for this project. It was very strange on my system, with engines seemingly out of phase on throttle pull back. I had to go back to the Baron 58 for a better experience on my system.Now, for the record, I have a cheap OMB sound card.Milton

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Keith, >>It is important to you to find sounds that make your >experience pleasant. :-) >>The beta team included one Aero Commander 520 owner/pilot. >His comments were the sounds were great, missing only the >clunk of the nose gear upon retraction and the hydraulic >flaps produced a different sound. ....................>Milton Shupe I think sound.cfg might need to have some 'sound rate' set to correspond with the higher RPM. I've modeled one cylinder, 7000 RPM engines and a four cylinder 5400 RPM Rotex and the Cessna sound used isn't right. Possibly any wav file that includes the engine sounds could be processed to increase the rate by 3400/2600. However, that would probably increase the frequencies of the sound components also. Which is not correct. The F4U Corsair sound is in FS2K2, that's a higher speed, geared engine. I suspect the prop sound is lower in frequency than the engine sound. However, it isn't a twin. Ron

Guest frankcubillos

I love it regardless of the sounds!!Thanks Milton for one heck of an awsome job. There will always be those who complain about anything they can think of without even a simple thank you.... Fortuantely those are far and few, the rest of us simply appreciate and thank you and your team's incredible contributions :-waveCongrats on Bear's Avsim Freeware award amigo, well deserved!! :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.