Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted_Thompson

A "takeoff:" question for Real World pilots...

Guest Albatross7107

Please take a look at this google mapYou should see the base of runway 35 at KTHV. Notice the offset threshold? The AI planes in FS9 will pause right after they move out from the taxiway, and then make there run to take off from there. Smaller planes get airborne right after crossing the numbers usually.So I am wondering, is this how it's done IRL? Or is this the AI not knowing any better?Another question: At KTHV in FS9 they have a radio freq that is labeled "Clearance Delivery", which as I understand it, would be used to get clearance to takeoff before taking off. Am I correct about this? I used AFCAD to change that frequency to "tower" so I can actually get clearance (in game it does say Harrisburg Tower, but it's not any of those freqs, it's still the "Clearance Delivery" freq - I just wanted it to do something...)Of course in FS9 the frequency isn't really used, all you can do is tune to KTHV Traffic and announce what you are going to do. Tune to the Clearance Delivery freq and all you get is silence and nothing to transmit in the ATC menu.

The Clearance Delivery frequency is for issuance of an IFR clearance.Try filing an IFR flight plan in the Flight Planner. After loading your plan, you will be given an option to contact Clearance Delivery. Upon readback of your clearance, you will be given the option to contact Tower, Ground or Traffic, depending on the airport.In FS your IFR clearance will always be delivered "as filed." In the real world, that is not always the case.Todd

>Please take a look at >this google map>>You should see the base of runway 35 at KTHV. Notice the>offset threshold? The AI planes in FS9 will pause right after>they move out from the taxiway, and then make there run to>take off from there. Smaller planes get airborne right after>crossing the numbers usually.>>So I am wondering, is this how it's done IRL? Or is this the>AI not knowing any better?>2. Displaced Threshold. A displaced threshold is a threshold located at a point on the runway other than the designated beginning of the runway. Displacement of a threshold reduces the length of runway available for landings. The portion of runway behind a displaced threshold is available for takeoffs in either direction and landings from the opposite direction. A ten feet wide white threshold bar is located across the width of the runway at the displaced threshold. White arrows are located along the centerline in the area between the beginning of the runway and displaced threshold. White arrow heads are located across the width of the runway just prior to the threshold bar, as shown in FIG 2-3-4.http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...p2/F0203004.gif>Another question: At KTHV in FS9 they have a radio freq that>is labeled "Clearance Delivery", which as I understand it,>would be used to get clearance to takeoff before taking off. >>>Am I correct about this? I used AFCAD to change that>frequency to "tower" so I can actually get clearance (in game>it does say Harrisburg Tower, but it's not any of those freqs,>it's still the "Clearance Delivery" freq - I just wanted it to>do something...)>>Of course in FS9 the frequency isn't really used, all you can>do is tune to KTHV Traffic and announce what you are going to>do. Tune to the Clearance Delivery freq and all you get is>silence and nothing to transmit in the ATC menu.Clearance Delivery is a frequency used at busier airports that there is a high amount of IFR traffic or within class C or B airports. Only a few airports you would call to clearance before you call ground for VFR departures. The normal procedure is to contact ground for taxi instructions.This airport has a clearance delivery to get IFR instructions before takeoff. It does not give taxi instructions because it is an uncontrolled field.

The ones with Chevrons can not be used for any operation unless you lost your brakes ;)

Guest Albatross7107

That's called an "overrun" at least in AFCAD...I'll try filing an IFR flight plan and see what FS9 does, I already changed it back to Clearance Delivery. Thanks for the help guys, so the AI planes are doing it right after all... it just looked weird. :-hah

Guest Albatross7107

Ok, tried it and sure enough there was the option to get IRF clearance from the Clearance Delivery channel...All this time I thought I HAD to get that clearance from (in this case) Harrisburg Approach because there was no tower at the field... So I'd take off VFR and then file an IFR plan once I was in the air and over to Harrisburg Approach on the radio. Never tried setting it up while I was still on the ground (and here I am worrying about being "prototypical"!)Silly me.... :( duh