Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

any Aircraft Carrier experts out there ?

Hi Gang.I have the Abacus Flight Deck 5, and I do think it's pretty good.it comes with steam effects etc, and has Cat launching in 4 places, and arrestor points, but they are Not visible, but they are there.Does anyone know of any mods or additional files made by anyone else to help in this visually.also, do any of you know of any visual files to make the carrier look a little better, the freeware file ark_royal looks much better visually, but does not have the above built in to it, and the instructions to add these things from other authors is way over my head.I am using the FD5 with the fantastic Intruder from Alphasim, but I'm wondering if the hook is set properly, or is it that I am just that bad at carrier landings.any thoughts would be most welcome.There must be some carrier fans out there.Thanks again.

I have thought that since FD3, the landings have been much harder. I miss them quite regulary. But I HAVE hit them so I know they are there. Possibly due to smaller catch cable zones? Thats just my guess. I haven't gotten into it much but they are easily editable. I even put some zones on one of the stock carriers in FS. What do you mean by arrestor points not visible?I am not at the computer now but I am pretty sure there are lines going across the deck that indicate/simulate the wires. Can you elaborate?BTW, this is an excellent add-on with the planes having a very nice upgrade since FD4.Heres what they look like..http://www.abacuspub.com/fd4/fd4_31.jpgGb

Hi GB.I can see in your pic the wires, but I can't visually see them in my FD5, also, I don't have this file some mention where you can add zones, or make them slightly easier to catch hold of.now that would be great if anyone could elaborate on these for me, such as what are the files, and where do they go.I do like this add-on, but the landing / arrestor bit is putting me off slightly.also, I notice that with FD5 the cat launches are a bit too slow to get you airborne at a fast enough speed, I always get a stall warning when using the Alphasim Intruder after launch.Thanks again.

Ck your PM. Sent info you requested. Heres the active quote:"If you make the cables, which requires practice, you'll hear a distinct sound indicating the CLUNK of tailhook catch and the vibrations of a cable unreeling and providing braking for your aircraft, and you'll come to a stop.It's more likely, however, that you'll either land before the cables and bounce over them, or land beyond them, or that your approach will not be safe for landing and you'll have to wave off and go around for another try. Never dive for the deck!If you do make the cables, remember to cut power and apply brakes. Otherwise apply power!"I've done my share of bouncing and diving. LOL :)If you're interested in trying out the re-fueling feature, let me know. We'll hook up online sometime. I've got a full KC-135 in orbit right now!GB