Sign in to follow this  
Old Bill

Shifting, moving airport.

The AFCAD manual says you can shift the whole Airport. It says it but does not elaborate how to do it anywhere. Changing the general Lat and Long setting doesn't move anything. I have a perectly good airport and would like to move it lock, stock and barrel and not have to rebuild it node by node at another location.Bill *:-*

I recommend using SceneGenX 61, because with that you can move the airport, including all scenery objects such as taxisigns and terminal buildings. However, when you move an airport, you need to deal with flatten and background texture issues as well. I use sbuilder 2.05 for that and have a tutorial in the library addressing it. But in AFCAD (and also SGX) there is rubber-band style selection that you can use to select multiple objects and move them as a group. SGX also offers a means of moving and rotating all objects without having to select and drag.scott s..

Thankyou or your reply. However nothing I seem to do to this airport will make it change locations. Click and Drag? Nothing! Can you please be a little more specific as to the method you use? With the AFCAD program of course. I really dont want to learn another program righ now.Bill *:-*

It depends upon where you want to move the airport.Also moving the airport will not move the background polygon - so you will have to use another program to create a new background polygon. You will also need to create exclusions to remove autogen and custom objects, and scenery files to add buildings and objects to the new airport location.You can move an airport about a mile - maybe two - but much farther - FS gets confused and it's better to create a new airport with a new designator.Go to the top menu - Edit - Select AllHold down the Shift key and click and hold on a selected object other than an apron - drag the selected objects where you want them.Note it will look like aprons are not moving - but when you release the mouse they will move.This also moves the airport reference point though you can always unselect come items by clicking and releasing on them while holding the Shift key down.ScenGenX is a really, really easy and good tool to learn - you can do so much more than AFCAD with the program.

Hi,I'm not sure if Select All selects things that are not visible on the screen - I've never checked that.Press the S, A, and L keys to see if everything has turned yellow.If not, make sure you press the S and A keys to display everything, then drag a box around the whole airport. Then press the L key, hold down the shift key and drag another box around the airport.Then hold down the shift key, click and hold on any object and drag to the new location. Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

After a good nights sleep and with a clear head, I shall endeavor to perform the move. Thanks again Gents. Reg and Tom, you have been an invaluable asset to me in my quest for knowledge. Bill :-beerchug