Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Vista Compatibility

My appologies if I have missed a posting on this, but I can't believe that Microsoft hasn't in some manner made FS9 in windowed mode compatible with Vista. It is my understanding that FS9 is unable to function correctly due to the Vista Aero system. While I can get by never minimizing any FS9 windows and flying in full screen mode, I wonder if there is another answer. Is disabling Aero one answer (shouldn't be necessary)? No FS9 update?I have not as yet found that changing the compatability under program properties to run in Windows XP mode makes any program run correctly when it didn't otherwise, and don't know what this feature is to accomplish. Now flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FS2004, UT-USA, ASV6, FSGen, Vista Home Premium

Art

Aero uses DirectX to render... which is why there's the conflict.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I can't believe that Microsoft hasn't in some manner made FS9 in windowed mode compatible with Vista.Fisrt - Why on earth should Microsoft spend tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars to roll back an operating system to an old, discontinued game?They did spend money to make the game compatible with Vista - it's called FSX.Second - FS9 is fully compatible in the windowed mode with Vista - I use it almost everyday.You just have to disable the Aero desktop - select the Windows Classic theme. That is Microsoft's very adequate solution to programs which have trouble with the Aero desktop.We are rolling out Vista at the company where I work - and I'll tell you that changing the theme for FS9 is a lot simplier and easier than many of the tricks we are having to do to make some of the other applications in the company work on Vista.

Thanks for the input, which was helpful though somewhat inaccurate. I certainly would not suggest Microsoft "rollback an operating system to an old, discontinued game". Rather, I would ask that they assure that game software (FS9) currently touted and sold on Microsoft's website be made compatible with their current operating system. Many of us who continue to prefer FS9 do not consider FSX a "fix".I did check performance under the Windows Classic theme and found that FS9 does pretty well when setup to display flights in windowed mode. If setup to fly in full screen mode, the windows for selecting flights, aircraft, etc, cannot be minimized and then reopened. Therefore, I don't consider "Microsoft's very adequate solution" to be so.Now flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FS2004, UT-USA, ASV6, FSGen, Vista Home Premium

Art

When you bought FS9 did the box say it was/would be compatible with Vista?

Okay, even under the FS2004 forum, everybody's telling me I should switch to FSX rather than use FS9 with Vista, so I went out and bought FSX and have been trying all afternoon to install it with no success. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGH!

Art

This is why nobody should take an operating system upgrade decision lightly. You need to ask yourself:1) What does Vista do for me that I cannot do now?2) What do I have now that will not work properly in Vista?Chances are, the number of items in category 2 outnumber category 1. Operating system upgrades almost always end up being much more work than originally expected. It is too late for this advice now, but something to consider in the future. Not that any of us can hide from Vista, but I know there is no reason for me to upgrade right now.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I would, and have for over a year, recommend against upgrading any computer to Vista.But having Vista as the original OS on a new computer - good idea IMHO.Of course I do have the advantage of working at a company where my team builds our own Vista 'images' for deployment on our new computers.My FS2004 computer does have FSX installed - but it doesn't have the performance to fly FSX with elevated sliders. That XP computer will stay XP until it dies.My Vista computer flies FSX excellent, and when I switch to the Windows Classic theme FS2004 works very well also.Yes, it doesn't work as well as the OS for which FS2004 was designed - XP - but it has all the functionality I want/ need/ use.

Hi Mike. I acknowledge "everyone" should not include you, but I sensed from some of the posts that the FSX was the cure for FS9 incompatibilities with Vista. What did you mean by "minimum specs anyone."I don't want to represent that FS9 does not work with Vista, because it does in fact run well. There are some issues with manipulating windows that have been posted by others which requires that you observe some limitations, because there seems to be no fix. At the present time, with both programs installed, FS9 with addons is the far better simulation on my computer. The scenery in FSX looks like something out of a comic book, not realistic.I agree with the other posts stating that there is no good reason to upgrade an existing computer from XP to Vista. I built a new computer and felt that installing Vista made more sense than getting another copy of an old operating system. Overall, I like Vista. :D

Art