Sign in to follow this  
Guest Curtalden

Defective ATC

Guest Curtalden

I have experienced several episodes of an apparent ATC glitch where, flying IFR, I will be vectored back and forth between two headings on a zig zag course, while at the same time being switched back and forth between two frequencies. Recently I flew IFR from KRDU to KCTL. The vectors began about 90 miles from my destination. Thereafter I was vectored between headings of 295 and 260 each 20-30 seconds. In between each vector, I was swithed back and forth between the two same frequencies. What a joke. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, you really notice it. The work around is to cancel IFR until you are about two minutes from the IAF, and then request clearance again. I guess I don't understand the AI logic on that one.

This happens to me.I think the heading changes are because you are drifting off track - pay attention to the wind and do what nav would do on your autopilot i.e. keep on the specified track, not the specified heading.The frequency changes are probably because you are flying along the boundary between 2 adjacent control areas: you'll notice that the same thing can happen vertically if you set your altitude at the transition level - you'll constantly be switched between the upper level control area and what is below as your altitude changes by small amounts (or more likely the barometric pressure changes). Annoying - I presume it doesn't happen like that in real life.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest MattNW

ATC is far from perfect in the sim. What is happening is that ATC has gotten a little lost and is reading you as off course. It might be one degree or two or twenty either way it will turn you back toward the correct heading wait until you overshoot and send you back the other way. Since you are flying IFR you should know the correct runway heading from your flight planning. Let ATC get you close and then just split the difference and turn toward the correct heading and confirm ATC whenever they send you another heading. Eventually when you get closer to the airport ATC will catch up.

>I suggest you get "Radar Contact" http://www.jdtllc.com/ FS9>ATC, is very poor and in no way represents real-life ATC.>There is another ATC program here>http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pfe.htm I'm not familiar>with it, but I'm sure it's 100's of times better than the>default ATC.>>Dave F.Dave F.:I'm glad you mentioned RC. I'm thinking of asking my wife for Radar Contact for Christmas and I have two small questions about it before I ask her to spend her money on it:1) Is there a performance hit of any kind with it?2) Are commands verbal (like FS9's?) or are all of it's instructions given solely in text format?Thanks for your input!Chuck B.

HelloNo performance hit that i can detect.Yes the commands are verbalYou will not regret buying RC or Proflight Emulator, i use both.RC for when i am flying the heavys, PFE for GA VFR and IFR.Using both with voice control (shoot1.6.4)

>Hello>No performance hit that i can detect.>Yes the commands are verbal>You will not regret buying RC or Proflight Emulator, i use>both.>RC for when i am flying the heavys, PFE for GA VFR and IFR.>Using both with voice control (shoot1.6.4)One last question, please. You can't use time acceleration with it? You have to fly everything in real time?Thanks again.Chuck

Yes you can use time acceleration, the copilot can handle all the comms.Dave F.

Guest Curtalden

>I suggest you get "Radar Contact" http://www.jdtllc.com/ FS9>ATC, is very poor and in no way represents real-life ATC.>There is another ATC program here>http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pfe.htm I'm not familiar>with it, but I'm sure it's 100's of times better than the>default ATC.>>Dave F.Thanks for your suggestions. However, when I tried to purchase the Radar Contact download application from the jdtllc website, I never received the required Key number to activate the program (even after resubmitting the request several times). In short I was "ripped off" and had to notify my credit card company to challenge the charge. While at first glance the vendor appears to be legitimate, they apparently have issues responding to purchase orders. I would urge anyone thinking of purchasing Radar Contact to consider cafefully before doing so. At $44.00 it doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

Guest RonB49

"I never received the required Key number to activate the program (even after resubmitting the request several times)."Did you look in your SPAM folder?And I seriously doubt that you were "ripped off." This is a respected company that you are talking about; they don't "rip off" their customers.R-

Contact them via e-mail to jd@jdtllc.com or post on their support forum here on AVSIM.The key system is automated and you should have received some kind of reply. For the automated system to work the request must be in a specific format and can be sent from the registration page or linked to your e-mail application.If all else fails your key might have been delivered on the forum since it is unique.The usual problem is the confirmation has not passed your spam filter. In addition, blind e-mail addresses are not considered legitimate.Be sure all correspondence uses your e-mail address furnished at the time of purchase.

send me an email, and let me look into it. you should have contacted me, not your credit card companyjd

guessing from your username here, i checked my contactsare you in la quinta ca?if so you key was sentSuccess @ 12/17/2007 2:01:23 PM (1011316833) ACMKCDEJKLGGPABLDCDNAHLJKCNGHNGAthat was the one any only attempt to get a key that i can see.sometimes the keys are snared by over agressice spam filters or end up in your junk mail folderif 1011316833 is your product id, there is your key ACMKCDEJKLGGPABLDCDNAHLJKCNGHNGAif it isn't your product id, then send another key requestrememberIn an effort to streamline the Key Generating process, I request that your Request be in the following format: nnnnnnnnn ! Firstname ! Lastname Where nnnnnn is the product ID from the registration screen. If there is a minus sign in front of the numbers, include it as wellSend the request to register@jdtllc.com The subject line should be RCv4 Key Request