Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Flight1 Cessna 172 vs Default FS9 Cessna - Performance Q

Get the Flight 1's Cessna 172R.. which is a 160HP Engine.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Success at St. Barts, Runway 28!Half a tank of gas, no flaps, hold brakes to 2400 rpm, release brakes, roar away, rotate at 60 knots, fly low initially to gain 2-3 more knots, and then pull up to 1100-1200 fpm to clear the deadly little hill. Speed falls to 55 at the top of the hill and you clear the plane spotters by 20 vertical feet. Push nose down to 5 degrees at top of hill, accelerate, and fly away safe and sound!It works. Did it thrice last night.JS

Guest fullstoplanding

Hi JS,Congratulation! If you have a second, how you doing on landings there?Roger

>Remember the aircraft spec charts are for 56 degrees F - and>it's never that cold on St Barts.I think you mean 59F/15C

Actually, landings into runway 10 (i.e., coming in over the deadly hill) have been a piece of cake since the very first attempt in the default Cessna. Have not had a crash or heavy landing and usually touchdown on the white markers or shortly beyond them at -100 fpm. Have also landed in the Dash 7 by Milton Shupe with no trouble at all. The approach is wild and the slope down the hill to runway 10 is totally insane but it's insane in real life, so what the heck!JS

Guest fullstoplanding

"...but it's insane in real life, so what the heck!"For sure! I did it last night with my Aerosoft DHC-2 Beaver. Piece of cake... or maybe a cupcake? :-coolRoger

Provided you approach correctly in the appropriate type of plane--i.e., not in a 737!--it's not as frightening as it looks initially. There's a great pic on Airliners/net of a Twin Otter literally diving down above the slope steeply for the last bit prior to levelling out over the concrete.JS

Guest fullstoplanding

Hi JS,I did a Google Earth search for TFFJ, the identifier for the airport on St. Barts. It seems they have a new airport there with the runway quite different from the short runway, tall hills at both ends, little monster in FS 9. :-(It's a 10/28 runway with the 28 approach flat and directly from the ocean side. No hill.Interesting. :-hmmm--Roger

Interesting? Are you mad? You MUST have a crazy hill and a life threatening approach for St. Barts to truly be ....St. Barts! What's the point in having a nice normal airport without appalling obstructions (at least in FS) ?!Merry Xmas!JSP.S. The approach to 28 is over the seaside and beach. Are you sure you haven't just found the regular airport there? It's the approach into 10 and the departure out of 28 that is totally crazy.

Guest fullstoplanding

"Are you sure you haven't just found the regular airport there? "JS,That's what I thought. I moved around the island from the Google Earth perch looking for the other airport, but i couldn't find it.By the way, that airplane spotter you spoke of in a previous post, I think he flipped me the bird as I flew past. That is, I thought he did. As I recall at the time, I was to petrified to look away from the flying business for long. :-eek And a Merry Christmas to you and yours,--Roger