Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Mayday! Low FPS in a new laptop

My girlfriend has just bought a new laptop about 6 weeks ago, and now she wants to learn to fly (after seeing me, of course ;)). So, I installed FS2004 in her laptop... but I find the performance unacceptable.Here are the specificationsDell Inspiron 1420Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5 GHz (Merom) CPU1.5 GB RamIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Windows Vista Home PremiumI can only get 13 FPS at KSEA:(, with almost all sliders at Medium or Low, when running in windowed mode at 1024 x 768 (energy set at high performance, laptop connected to AC, using Windows Classic theme, FPS unlocked). That with the Overland planes... or even the default Cessna. And the ground textures looks like FS98. In comparison, I could get better framerate and texture quality in my stone age Pentium 4 1.6 (Williamette), 512 MB Ram and a 32 MB ATI Radeon 7500 (at least I could get to the 20 frame-rate lock I've set).Is this behavior normal with this laptop, or definitively there's something wrong with it?Thanks in advanceBest regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Vista is not a good idea unless your using 3 gig or more, also your clock speed is quite low and the onboard graphics are not going to cut it. It's always best to run fs on a Desktop so you can upgrade the parts (unless your using a top end laptop)Rob

Rob Prest

Your problem is the integrated graphics. It really just isn't up to the job of running games.It might be worth tracking down an old copy of FS2002 and seeing if that runs any better?

Now, anybody can explain this?I decided to try FS2004 in my dad's laptop:Dell Inspiron 700MIntel Pentium M 735 @1.7 GHz (Dothan) CPU1 GB RAMIntel Extreme Graphics 2 integrated videoWindows XP Professional SP2As you can see, it's not exactly a brand new one. Unlike my girlfriend's laptop, my dad's one hasn't been heavily tweaked: I only tweaked the Services according to Black Viper's safe list.Running FS2004 with Colombia Virtual 2007 Xtreme Edition, at default settings (just install, defrag and fly, don't tweak anything), I can get to the 20 FPS frame rate lock easily at every airport (including Bogot

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Anyone?Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Guest simonmd

Two problems, 1, the 1.5GHZ CPU in the laptop is WAY to weak to run FS9 well (I know it's duel core but FS9 doesn't support it so you're only useing one of them) compared with the slightly better 1.7 in the desktop.2, VISTA! It uses WAY more resources than XP and is not very FS9 friendly.

>Two problems, >>1, the 1.5GHZ CPU in the laptop is WAY to weak to run FS9 well>(I know it's duel core but FS9 doesn't support it so you're>only useing one of them) compared with the slightly better 1.7>in the desktop.>>2, VISTA! It uses WAY more resources than XP and is not very>FS9 friendly.--------------------------------------Uh..not to be a pain, but...I own an IBM ThinkPad T40 with a P3 1.5 Ghz cpu and an ATI 128 MB 7400 dedicated vid card.With AS6.5 even running, I get 18 to 24 FPS at 1024x768 resolution on a 14.1 screen. This is with A.I. aircraft and all sliders at max.I think that Dell with shared/mem graphics is the culprit. Mitch