Sign in to follow this  
mankal4

After copying all my files, my sim is acting crazy.

I copied my whole disk drive to a new one (old one was dying). Now when I play flightsim I am running into 3 problems:1. No matter what aircraft I try, if I am flying from one vor to another, the plane doesnt fly a straight line, but rather zig zags between two points. (All weather is off, so winds are not it)2. The compass makes sudden moves,turns (I have tried alt-D) and if Im flying 180 degrees and ATC tells me to turn left to 120, when I reach 120 degrees, the compass shifts to 140.3. ATC tells me to turn right to 300, but when I get there, ATC says something like "please expedite your turn to 050. I was never told to fly 050.I'm not too good at explaining things, but am hoping someone knows what I'm talking about, I've never had this type of problem in the last 5 years, did domething get screwed up when I copied over the hard drive. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I used Acronis TrueImage using an image that was made 1 month before the crash. Afterwards I manually updated traffic files and AI aircraft that were more recent than than the image using my hard drive. So to answer the question I used both...

At least with my version of TrueImage, it has two different modes. One will do a bit for bit copy of your current drive and restore it to the same drive. The other mode allows you to copy the old disk drive your OS is located on to a new boot drive. But for it to work, when you reboot with the new drive swapped in, you have to have the Windows (XP or VISTA) disk so that Windows can make sure you are not stealing their OS. Otherwise they will cripple your system after so many days. Maximum PC says that Vista gives a thirty day grace period. I'm not sure if XP gives you a grace period since I've never tried it.Kim

I did an image restore. Everything else on my pc is fine, including XP and all the flightsim add-ons. I really need some help.Re-installing everything is not really a feasable option for me.

Mike,You've got something very weird going on with FS, some file or registry entry is out of place or lost. It sounds like you are going to have to bite the bullet and uninstall and reinstall FS.I am doing that at the present since I installed a much larger extra hard drive and I wanted to clean up my installation of FS anyway. It's a royal pain in the rear to do it, so what I have been doing is documenting down to the finest detail every add-on install procedure so that in the future, I won't have to search around and tear out my hair to get things right. My last documentation has already paid off in streamlining the present install task.FS tends to be a bit creaky when things start getting added on to in my opinion. Even after I reinstalled FS, patched it and added some freeware scenery that worked fine before (I'm only a third of the way done), when I then ran FS, I got PINK backgrounds on the splash screen. When I restarted it, all was normal. Weird! I'm going to make sure it works OK for a little bit before commencing more installs. Sorry I can't be of more help. :-eekKim

Hmm, I'd like to know what the culprit is whether it be a .dll file or something else prior to reinstalling 4 years of work again. I'm trying to make a movie using fraps to show what I mean. Everything works except the navigation. At this point the game is just unplayable, and I am having to spend more of my freetime with my wife instead, which in turn leads to more arguements..so please help me out guys, save my sim and my marriage!