Sign in to follow this  
misgav

annoying message at startup

I have FS9.1 installed. Lots of scenery addons, some freeware, some payware. Each time I start FS, on the splash screen, I get two messages with progress bars about building new scenery databases/ scenery index, bla bla.Why? I have my scenery library all set.Eytan ornstein

Try checking your scenery.cfg file. You probably have two identical entries for some addon scenery that you installed.Todd

I couldn't find the scenery.cfg file. is it a hidden file? How do i get to see it?Eytan

The scenery.cfg file is located in the root folder of where you installed FS9.Todd

Got it. The search revealed three files;1,in the root dictory of fs9. just checked it- no repetitions of layers.2, old scenery.cfg, also in the root directory.3.In My Documents (just checked -it as full of missing layers.Eytan

I do not have a scenery.cfg file in My Documents. Try renaming that one to something like scenery.bak and see if that solves your problem.Todd

Guest JTEK99

Open the scenery.cfg file in your FS9 root folder with a text editor (e.g., Windows Notepad).Do a text search (press Ctrl-F if using Windows notepad) and search for the following string:"Remote=" (without the quotes, of course)If you find any instances of the string mentioned above, you need to write down the name of the scenery addon. Why? "Remote" means that the scenery is copied to a cache folder that FS creates each time it starts. This is useful, I suppose, if the scenery files are located on an external source (such as a CD or DVD); but if the scenery files are already on your hard drive, it's a totally useless setting. Needless to say, any item in the scenery.cfg file you have marked as "Remote" instead of "Local" will cause the FS9 Scenery cache to rebuild itself at every startup.Again, if you found any scenery layers that have this text string, write them down. Then go into the FS9 Scenery Dialog, find the matching scenery layer(s), highlight it, then press "EditArea ". Once you do, you'll see a little pair of radio buttons at the bottom of the dialog where you can select one of two choices: "Cache this scenery"or"Use this scenery directly"You will find that the layer (which you saw was marked as "Remote=" in your scenery.cfg) has "Cache this scenery" selected. Change it to "Use this scenery directly". Do the same for all layers you found in your scenery.cfg with the "Remote=" line in them.My hunch is that this happened due to some recent scenery installation. If memory serves, CanarySim's Project Canarias 2006 added these "Remote=" lines to the scenery.cfg during installation. A few others do this as well.Anyway, hope this info helps. I had this same, exact problem way back when and the above information cured it.

Guest Flane

I had this problem awhile back when an installer didn't finish installing a scenery. It didn't finish the cfg edit.

I found that the remote value had a string in the project canarias 2006 layers, nos. 76-82.So i went to the scenery library.Clicked on the first 'guilty' layer and pressed 'edit area'.I got this error message-"Area Tenerife 2006 by Canayrisim-Terrain is requires and cannot be edited".The same error on all the other canarysim layers.So i still have a problem.Eytan

Guest caser

Hi:I followed your procedure and found one that was "flatten...... I was unable to find it on the list to edit the area. Is this normal?RegardsRick

Guest JTEK99

>I found that the remote value had a string in the project>canarias 2006 layers, nos. 76-82.>So i went to the scenery library.>Clicked on the first 'guilty' layer and pressed 'edit area'.>I got this error message->"Area Tenerife 2006 by Canayrisim-Terrain is requires and>cannot be edited".>The same error on all the other canarysim layers.>So i still have a problem.>EytanAha! So it was CanarySim's scenery. Okay... I know why the layers/areas can't be edited. Do the following:Exit from FS9, open your scenery.cfg with Notepad, find the "Remote=" lines and change them to "Local=". Do that for every CanarySim layer which has the 'remote' variable. BUT.... ALSO (in the same scenery layers), you will see a "Required=TRUE" line; change the word "TRUE" to "FALSE" in each of the layers as well (btw....when the variable is "TRUE", that means you cannot modify/edit/de-activate the scenery from within FS9). After doing the above, restart FS9. Naturally, it will rebuild the scenery cache once more, but after that rebuild, you shouldn't see the message again (until you alter something in your scenery layers, of course).As always, you should back up your scenery.cfg before editing (I generally just copy over a temporary copy to my Desktop).

OK. This is really weird.I did everything you said. Changed Remote and put the line with the Local, and changed True to false.Restarted FS9 twice. The two error messages still come up on the splash screen. Except that this time the progress bar just snaps fast forward and Fs starts- that's a small improvement.Also, I noticed something in the scenery library which ties back to your original advice about the 'edit area'.When I highlight the canarysim layer and hit edit area, i can see the 'use this scenery directly option' ticked!So now I'm really baffled.Do you want me to mail you the scenery.cfg personally so you could examine it? maybe I'm missing something here!Eytan

Forget my previous message. Problem solved!I restarted my pc, and then the fs splash screen was clear.Phew!thanks for your help.Eytan