Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Concorde Flightpath

Can anyone tell me the correct flightpath that BA Concordes use flying acroos the Atlantic heathrow/jfk.Someone suggested to me that they use a different route to normal airlinersCan anyone send me a flightplan or even a few pointers to an info site? thanks andykyandyky134@aol.com

I hope this will help you.Concorde ProceduresTaxi:Pushback with the Nose set at 0.Gate area at 10 kts with the Nose at -5Taxiways at 5 to 20 kts.Use Inboard Engines Transponder to Mode CTake off:Set parking brakes Nose down.Engaged the afterburners with the throttles to max.Confirm four green "clear to go" lights and release the brakes.Take off at V2-200 kts and climb at 7000 fpm full throttle.At 240 kts set gear up and Nose to -5.Climb:Set the throttle to 80% to 90% N1 at 250 kts.Slowly decrease the climb rate to 4000 fpm, At 8,000 ft set the climb rate to 3000 fpm at 80 to 90% N1.At 12,000 ft climb @ 2000 fpm and set the auto throttle to 400 ias.Disengaged afterburners and climb to FL290, Nose at 0.SST Climb:At FL290 engage the afterburners and bring up the visor.Monitor the airspeed overshoot indicator @ 64- 77% N1.At mach 1.1 set the climb rate to 1500 fpm.At mach 1.5 set the climb rate to 1000 fpm.At mach 1.7 set the climb rate to 500 fpm.Disengage the afterburners.Cruise:At FL490 set the auto throttle from 2.0- 2.04 mach max.Monitor the center of gravity and fump fuel as needed.FL490 to FL 550 climb at 500 fpm or less.FL550 to FL 570 climb at 200 fpm or less.FL570 to FL 590 climb at 100 fpm or less.Vectoring supersonic aircraft seriously affects the range and mission objectives.During turns, either programmed or as the result of vectors, will lose a few thousand feet.Watch for the "skipping effect" at high altitudes and jetstreams.Slow to mach 1.7 and steady the aircraft. Descent:TOD will be from FL510 - FL490At 350 nm from the destination airport decrease speed to 350 ias and descend at -1000fpm.At FL290 set speed to 300 ias -2000 fpm with the visor down.At FL190 set speed to 270 ias with the Nose to 0.Level off at 11,000 ft and slow to 250 ias.Approach:At 40 nm descend at 240 kts bellow 10,000 ft.Bellow 8,000 ft set speed to 230 kts gear down and the nose to -5On initial approach set speed to 220 kts.For IFR Establish the LOC/LDA or ILS/GS at 210 ktsLanding:Confirm you have the runway in sight.Check the pith rate and disengage the autopilot at 3 nm and maintain 190 kts.Configure for 180 kts, Nose down.Disengage the auto throttle at 500 ft. Landing speed VREF 150 - 162 kts.Flare slightly for landing and use reverse thrust to slowly lower the pitch of the aircraft.Gently use manual brake below 80 kts and roll out at 60 kts.Taxi:Exit the runway at 10 - 15 kts.Taxi with the nose at -5 at 20 kts or less.Use Inboard Engines Transponder on standbyParking:Park with the nose set at 0.Parking Brakes -- SETLights -- OFFVisor/Nose -- AS REQUIREDGenerators -- OFFIgnition switches -- OFFBattery -- OFFHave a nice flight,Cees

Guest IanK

He means the horizontal ground track. There are (at least) 2 dedicated SST NAT tracks on most air navigation charts but I don't have one with me at the moment. Perhaps someone else can type in the lat and long co-ords.Ian

Guest AndrewW

Oh My ! Look at all those details! This is NOT how you fly Concorde AT ALL! No wonder so many people have problems flying it! Where did people get the idea that it's flown like that?! This is a small tutorial I have written. As for the flight plans, send me an email, I should be able to send you something. ******************************Concorde calls Heathrow delivery half an hour before departure, confirming that they will be departing on time and so that the ATC sectors down the route can prepare the oceanic clearances required. The aircraft is set up for the flight by all three members of crew, using a combination of scan checks and using the

>Oh My ! Look at all those details! >>This is NOT how you fly Concorde AT ALL! >No wonder so many people have problems flying it! Where did >people get the idea that it's flown like that?! >>This is a small tutorial I have written. As for the flight >plans, send me an email, I should be able to send you >something. >>****************************** >>Andrew Wilson I can't believe this ! Andrew Wilson the 'Concorde expert'. Yeah that's a fantastic tutorial "YOU HAVE" written there mate. Alternatively read it almost word for word in Brian Calverts : Flying Concorde : The Full Story. ISBN: 1840373520I suggest you owe the second poster an apology .......

Guest AndrewW

Cloud_Tiger: I have just flicked through Brian Calverts "Flying Concorde" book, which has a chapter describing some of the procedures used on the London - New York route. I have split my tutorial up into a number of sections, covering a number of items which are not mentioned in Brian's book, such as the 'debow start', items in the taxi checklist which are unique to Concorde's operation. Also Brian has not gone into detail regarding the departure, not mentioning the take off engine rating, of the fact that there are two types of departure, referred to as a 53.5%CG T/O, or a 54%CG - both use different techniques. The noise abetment procedures I have listed are not in Brians book. The AFCS selection process when flying through Mach 1 is also not mentioned. I have tried to go into some detail regarding the descent - as this is one of the areas of flight where special attention is paid to getting the aircraft right on the numbers! Brian has mentioned the use of tables, found at the back of the normal checklist - but has not gone into detail regarding how these are used. Neither has he mentioned the restrictions or procedures used for idle-reverse in flight. Other areas such as the cruise climb, and landing - and of course - areas along the route are bound to be similar, as it is the same route - same aircraft, and these procedures have not altered since the day the aircraft entered service with British Airways. I have just written a little something that I know about the aircraft on the areas of flight that interest me. And I hope that this will interest others to! It is not meant as a Concorde Flying manual, and I am no 'Concorde expert'! If I was a little blunt in my first post this morning, then I apologise - I meant no disrespect to Cees, or anyone else. The great thing about this aircraft is that, at present, it only flies a handful of routes - and the procedures are fairly standard to every flight. Brian has done a great job of outlining these, as have many other authors. One I would really recommend to anyone interested in how the aircraft is flown is "The Concorde Stick and Rudder Book" - absolutely essential to anyone who is passionate about this aircraft!The BA tech manual is also a good read ;-) Andrew

I say ' almost word for word'. Why childish ? After all you have copied it 'almost' word for word passing it off as your own. It is obviously from his book with a little tickling here and there by yourself. The Author deserves a mention......

Guest AndrewW

I understand the points you are making, and respect them. Of course the authors of the material I have used deserve a mention, and if I were to post this information on a website I would list them. Resources I have used would include: "The Concorde Stick and rudder book" : Mike Riley"Concorde the Inside Story" : Brian Trubshaw"Flying Concorde" : Brian CalvertAs well material from the aircraft - Flight plans, checklists, manuals etc. I will credit all of these people next time I post this information. My primary objective was to educate some enthusiasts who do not have access to these materials. Maybe I should re-write it in the form of a London - Barbados flight! Andrew

Guest Lenny Zaman

define the childishness in this message for me please?Andrew is simply mentioning he created the text.I wonder whenever you make an assignment, i BET you include parts of other authors and you don't mention them either... i'm actually 100% sure of that. Everyone does that.Now i'm not going to involve myself further but the purpose of your message is totally ridicule.Next time, don't be a nitpicker and stick to the subject will yaCheers

Guest AndrewW

Just as a footnote to Lenny's post - I have edited my post and removed a few statements, which were obviously going to upset a few users. Cloud_tiger: I respect your comments and will take them into consideration.

Guest Muppet22

Mr Cloud TigerI am lucky enough to know Andrew personally, indeed I was in a pub with him last night enjoying more than a few drinks. I don't think the way you replied to him after his post on Conc ops was wholly acceptable. This guy does know what he is talking about, whether he quoted his sources or not and to suggest otherwise is simply not true.He owes noone apologies for the opening statement, quite to the contrary I would suggest. If you were to devote as much time to Concorde or maybe another chosen aircraft than you do to have a dig at people for posting such informative posts, then you'd probably be a very good pilot.I'm sure most people took the post in the way in which it was intended, but, as the saying goes 'you always get one'.Have a nice day,

To andrewWPersonally i dont care whose material was used or anything else. I just am grateful for the time you took to answer my question and how indepth your answer was.I would appreciate any other material you would have on the subject.To all others, when you ask the question and dont get the answer you want, then you can whinge and complain like schoolboys.thanks again andrew

OK Andrew. Looks like I misjudged you here. If I had written the piece I would have said where I obtained the original copy. Your post made it sound like all your own work. It also sounded sarcastic toward KL 204 who was obviously trying his best. As for the rest of the posters on this thread. Well to be honest you

Guest AndrewW

The areas I can see from my tutorial, which are mentioned in Brian