Sign in to follow this  
TC1

A mind melt down

When attempting an ILS approach with a GA, using the autopilot:1. Set the runway ILS Freq into the radio2. Predetermine the glideslope and insure that you are in the cone3. Set the autopilot approach switch to on4. And set the GPS/NAV switch to the NAV condition.Is step four correct? With both Dreamfleet Archer and the Carnado 182Q I have beeen unable to capture the glideslope on my last two flights. Just checking for an errors.Tom

Nothing wrong with 1 and 2; I generally set the gps/nav switch to nav before engaging approach - a good technique is to set the gps/nav switch to nav, the ap to the nav position as you center the vertical needle, and then as the horizontal needle begins to come down the scale engage the ap approach switch...DJ

Which airport(s)?, which runway(s)?There are quite a few airports in the world and FS which have localizers without glide paths.There is also a possibility that you could have captured the back course which all localizers in FS transmit by default rather than the ILS with glide path.As far as your procedure - I always change the AP from NAV to HDG then change the GPS/NAV switch to NAV - and then press the APR button.You cannot determine if you are receiving the glide path with the GPS/NAV switch in the GPS position.I'd also recommend you ensure that you have the IDENT of the ILS and check your nav display or the morse code audio to make sure you are locking on to the correct localizer.Unlike the real world - FS never turns off the opposite end of the runway localizer even if it is on the same frequency.

Thanks to both of you for the help. The two airports were KMSP & CYPK. In both cases I turned the appoarch on after using the AP Hold to establish my line of flight into the ILS approach glideslope. Also in both cases after setting the AP to approach, I was turned away from my designated runway.I sure it is a simple technique to fix,Tom

Being turned away from your airport / runway is almost always a signal that the NAV/GPS switch is in the GPS position.You'll have to manually turn the plane around after moving the switch to the NAV position.Always make sure the switch is in the NAV position before selecting the APR button.Assuming you have default airport AFCADs and scenery --CYPK does not have a glide slope - the Rwy 26 Localizer is only designed to provide horizontal guidance and you control the vertical descent. It will not line your aircraft up on the runway centerline - but will get you close enough to make a visual landing without much of a turn.The KMSP 12/30 runways have a serious potential issue in that both localizers on both ends of each runway have the same frequency.If you are landing on Rwy 30L and have your NAV1 tuned to 110.30, it is very easy to have your aircraft pickup the FS simulated backcourse signal for Rwy 12R. That localizer is closer to your aircraft - and by default every localizer in FS transmits a backcourse signal.The Ident for Rwy 30L is IMSP and for 12R it is IHKZ. An aircraft like the default King Air will allow you to see the ident of the localizer being used on the panel.

Reggie,Thank you. Since 1985 I have been flying MS Flight Simulators. My problem is that I will take long periods of time off between full scale aircraft and GA. I go in streaks between the two types. I'm now back to flying GA, and I knew that I had done something dumb when it started fly "the other way". The one major change that I have seen over the years is the growth and the depth of knowledge that can be found in the user forums. There are not many hobbies that has held the interest of a user community for this many years as flight simulation has done.Thanks again,Tom