Sign in to follow this  
JWill12220

Dead stick

Is it possible to fly for a period of time in which either the stick or the sim itself will not allow for control of the plane. I was flying PMDG 737 800 from Key West to Grenada the other day (3 hour flight) and when deactivating autopilot to manual land, it was like trying to steer a boat with a sail. Is there some type of "timeout delay" that will cause this type of thing to happen?

Guest bstolle

Are you sure that you really disengaged the autopilot? I haven't the PMDG 737 installed for the moment but it might be possible that you can disengage the approach mode by pushing the APP button (again).In that case the approach mode is disengaged but the autopilot is still flying (and you are fighting it)If the autopilot is disengaged, neither CMD (either A or :( button is illuminated. RegardsBerntCapt 767

Guest mtlmtl

Completely possible. Has happeded to me over the years many times with different combinations of computer hardware/software and controls. Usually will happen if controls stay idle for some time without an input. Do you have your sticks software installed? More detailed info from you would probally find someone that has had a similar/exact instance.Matt

I'm almost embarrassed to say what I'm using as far as equipment goes. I use the Logitech force 3D pro. The following are my computer specs:OS Name Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600OS Manufacturer Microsoft CorporationSystem Manufacturer GatewaySystem Model GT4010System Type X86-based PCProcessor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2210 MhzBIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 12/13/2005SMBIOS Version 2.3Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MBAvailable Physical Memory 349.71 MBTotal Virtual Memory 2.00 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 1.96 GBNot sure if this helps answer the question. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I disengaged the autopilot. But I felt like a hangglider coming in for a landing in a hurricane. If there is a fix for it, I would appreciate any advice.

I had it happen again today with just a short hop between Dulles and JFK. I'm not real sure what it may be but I know that I am disengaging my autopilot but for some reason my ailerons are not responding. My rudder is working beautifully but all I have is the sensation of sliding on a bed of ice trying to steer is impossible, at least to hit a straight path like a runway.

Guest vrandar

I get this on almost every flight after a period on autopilot. To overcome it and "wake up" the joystick I have assigned one of the buttons to do nothing at all but it does seem to work. Or you can assign it to do something innocuous like sound on/off.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Check for power saving settings in Windows. It likes to turn off certain things after a period of no activity.I have a profile set for FS use - with no power saving allowed on anything.