Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

FSNavigator Closing

true it is sad...What I find more intersting is that you, Ernie - a developer of a compeating product, expresses a disapointment also. My respect for you just went up a few notches (pretty high to begin with), well done Ernie.happy holidays.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Wow, sad news.FSNavigator "made" FS for me since late 1997 or 1998 when I first discovered it. I am sorry it's coming to an end but thank my lucky stars that I still fly FS9 and have FSNav as my constant companion. Helge Schroeder was a great FS pioneer. I'll always remember how my wife's nephew visited us some years ago and commented after seeing my FS9 set-up that he'd really like FsNav in his "office" -- he was chief trainer on the 747-400 and the A330 for his airline!I second the salute to Ernie as well.God Speed and Merry Xmas to all!JS

Sad news but not very surprising.However, since I will stick with FS9, I will enjoy FSnav even into the future. ;-)

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifFlightsimmer since 1987Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Hey, Staffan:Greetings and salutations! Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!I remember your lovely DC-10 panel from those early FSNav days as well. Still flying the -10 but now CLS model in VC only.All the best!JS

Hi Jonathan,Greetings to you and your family aswell. :-)I also fly the DC10 from CLS, but in 2D. Guess I will never be a "VC guy" :-hahJust hoping that PMDG will release the MD-11 soon.......:-wave

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifFlightsimmer since 1987Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Hello,Looks like FSX has just taken out another developer, could this be a vision of things to come? Very sad day indeed.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

But why would he stop selling the product all together? Support costing more than it's worth?Chuck B.

Guest neslesman

There is so much criticism in some forums about lack of support I think he did the honourable thing and pulled the product all together. If he continued to sell it the hue and cry from the whiners would have become unbearable as evidenced by some forums I read today. Sometimes people should be careful what they wish for. I think FSNavigator without support is better than no FSNavigator but apparently a whole lot of other people disagreed to the point where he just got fed up. I saw someone wished him "good riddance" but they misspelled riddance.I do hope some arrangement can be made for someone else to take over support though. A simple thing like the Sid/Stars database is quite important and been unavialable for quite some time.More power to Helge and thanks for the many years of support for a great product.

Guest Albatross7107

Well that explains why my eval copy says it can't find the server for the SID STARS...:(Dollar short and a day late? Is there any way to "manually" install the last version of the database? Can we still "register" so it can be used after 20 sessions? I really like being able to freely make a flight plan and export it to FS9 at least...

My gosh, I don't know what I'd do in the beginning if I hadn't found FSNavigator. It turned FS9 from a game into a manageable simulator.This is really disturbing -- He could at least offer it at reduced price/freeware. It cost me 40 bucks, which I'm not sure is fair given no support but, still, I'd be lost without it. Didn't someone tell him an alternative to pulling the product would be to just ... ignore the posts and/or don't open his email?? I'm glad I got mine when I did. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for FS developers.Chuck

There is another life, other than FS you know. :)Sometimes people just move on. Sort of like getting divorced.From some past reading, there was some turmoil or some type of trauma in his personal life. I used to be an auto mechanic. Now I REFUSE to work on other peoples cars. I used to be a small boat Captain. Now I refuse to step foot on them.Hes moving on and what we have is what we have. I believe he has that right, don't you all? I'm sure we'll get over it. A lot of folks are boycotting FSX.Rudolf

>There is another life, other than FS you know. :)Yuh think?? But considering this is AVSIM, that's the topic _here_, right?>Sometimes people just move on. Sort of like getting divorced.>From some past reading, there was some turmoil or some type of>trauma in his personal life. >I used to be an auto mechanic. Now I REFUSE to work on other>peoples cars. I used to be a small boat Captain. Now I refuse>to step foot on them.>>Hes moving on and what we have is what we have. I believe he>has that right, don't you all? I'm sure we'll get over it. A>lot of folks are boycotting FSX.>>>RudolfOf course he has that right. Just like the kid next door has the right "to take his ball and go home." I'm sorry he had personal problems, but to just pull these fully developed and well working products and not offer them any where else? What a waste. There's all kinds of orphaned software out there for other apps -- FS seems to be the only one where developers pull theirs and then thow them away, as though saying if I can't get my way, no one will have them at all.But it is his right. :-rollChuck B.