Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

FSNavigator Closing

AFAIK, he hasn't "pulled" anything. He is just not updating his software to FSX.I'm sure FSNAv will continue to work with FS9. Mine works now and I fully expect it to no matter whether he pulls his site down or not. I find it bug free and I have never needed any "support" since I installed it. We will always be able to find support as long as someone is using it.If anyone hasn't already got their copy to work with FS9 then I guess they better get cracking.Maybe there is not enough info yet. If the registration# has to register with a website, we may be in trouble, but I don't have that info yet either. if it registers WITHIN the software, then there is really no issue.This is going to be a case where I will believe it when I see it. Awhile back, there was a rumor it was going to be FREE for everyone since he was not updating to FSX. But that was a false rumor.Heres what we have:"i have received an email from the developer of FsNavigator, Helge Schroeder, requesting that we stop selling his product by Dec 31st 2007.From that email it became clear that there is no FSX version development at all for this product, e.g. the product will stop existing."I say post the email and let US figure out what "became clear"what does e.g. mean? Who says E.G? The software creator, OR the receiver of the email? How has anyone jumped to that conclusion? Are we believing some interpretation or an email?"it became clear that no FSX version...." Clear to whom? Fine, don't develop it for FSX. Half of us aren't running X anyway.Just asking. I don't see anything as being clear yet. Rufus

Rufus,The frequently seen abbreviation e.g. is short for the Latin "exempli gratia", meaning "for example". The email from Helge was sent to Miguel Blaufuks, owner of simMarket.com. His message is posted here:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=67419If you have any confusion, perhaps you should ask Miguel directly.As far as I am concerned, FS Navigator has not been supported for over a year now, and it works fine in FS9, so it has no effect on me whatsoever.

Graeme Butler

I dont know. FSN was very well supported for FS2002. It really was a requirement for any serious simming then. It barely got ported to FS2004 and I guess the developer got tired of it when FSX came out. Its a great tool. I still use it with my FS2004. Would be nice if the source code could be given to some trustworthy party for freeware continuance under an open source type deal. Seems like a better plan than just letting it die. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Early on in my flight simming experience, FSNavigator was a turning point for me, as much as my flight yoke and multiple screen set-up, due to FSNav's ease of use and utter supioririty over the native FS9 flight planner (I especially liked that "Move Aircraft to Here" right click command early on!) and I'm not sure I would have stayed with the hobby without it, as I might have gotten very frustrated trying to duplicate real life flight plans. And I have never needed support for the product.Although those of us who currently own the program are "OK" (for now) what about those that come behind us? The new ones who will ensure that the hobby continues and evolves? Sure there is an alternative, but really only one and personally I don't find it as intuitive or nearly as easy to use as FSNavigator.But you're right -- we really don't know what's going to happen. Personally, since I have no plans to go back to my FSX anytime in the near future, I could care less whether or not a version is in development.Chuck B.

>Rufus,>>The email from Helge was sent to Miguel Blaufuks, owner of>simMarket.com. His message is posted here:>>http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=67419>>If you have any confusion, perhaps you should ask Miguel>directly.>>>Yes, THAT is what I am referring to. If you look at only what we know, the owner of simflight received an email from the author. He states that the author asked him stop selling his product as of end of year. But everything after that is conjecture as far as I see. I dont see a statement about the author saying he was not selling FSnav any longer.>>As far as I am concerned, FS Navigator has not been supported>for over a year now, and it works fine in FS9, so it has no>effect on me whatsoever.>I completely agree. Until the email from the author is posted SOMEWHERE, the only thing we can conclude is that he wants simflight to stop selling it. And if you read some of the absurd claims of "fraud" on the simflight FSnav "support" board with respect to the product, I wouldn't blame the author if he wanted to cease all contact with simflight. Maybe THAT is the intent of the email. IMOI just see no factual evidence or quotes from the "author", does anybody? Until then, theres not much need to get everyones knickers into a knot. When the first buyer reports that he cannot register the program, or the first previous owner to re-install and attempt to register I think we'll know then.

Support for this product stopped a long time ago, so I'm not surprised that this is the "final curtain". FSX is causing a major Darwinian struggle for survival amongst developers, or so it seems.

The only thing I know is that over a year ago, Helge was involved in a serious motor accident. That was announced on the forums, and I don't believe that there has ever been any direct post from Helge on any forum since then. All information has been second hand.Perhaps his injuries were so bad that he could no longer be bothered with trivial things like Flightsim? After all, you need to get perspective about what is important in life.

Graeme Butler

There is always FSBuild. Many people think it's better. I have tried neither but will have to go for FSBuild now.RH

>The only thing I know is that over a year ago, Helge was>involved in a serious motor accident. That was announced on>the forums, and I don't believe that there has ever been any>direct post from Helge on any forum since then. All>information has been second hand.>>Perhaps his injuries were so bad that he could no longer be>bothered with trivial things like Flightsim? After all, you>need to get perspective about what is important in life.>>The car accident report was a news item on simflight in Nov 2004, and that article stated in happend in the summer, making it well over 3 years ago. It didn't prevent the FSNav update for FS9 from being released. There was also a FSnav 4.7 update a few months after that.As far as we know the author hasn't given any reasons for his decision.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

FSnavigator was the very first add on I ever bought way back in February 2004 and one of the programmes I always reinstall with Flightsim. I have FSbuild as well and use that to convert flight plans from routefinder format to all the other formats I need.FSBuild is very good - so is FSnavigator. I believe they perform different tasks and I wouldnt be without FSnavigator's moving map function in FS9 to show me where I am in a flight. Niether could I do without FSbuild because if its conversion possibilities.I dont have any plans to upgrade to FSX and as the FSNavigator can be activated within the programme rather than over the internet I am set for the foreseeable future.The one concern I do have is that Navdata and Navigraph will support FSnavigator, PSS, and other add ons if they cease business - I haven't seen any comments about this on the Navdata forums so farJohn

>>There is always FSBuild. Many people think it's better. I have tried neither but will have to go for FSBuild now.>>RHRobbie:You don't know that, yet. I'm sending an email to the developer tellng him how much I have enjoyed his product. Whether he answers or not, I know I've done what I can to contribute to the preservation of this FS9 add-on.I would highly suggest others do the same, if only to let him know that we're not all like the whiners and naysayers.Chuck B.

As you all know the SID/STAR server for FSNavigator is long dead. I recently re-installed FS9 on my new VISTA machine. I hope to get a copy of the entire upload. Does anybody know wehre else I can get one?Thanks.M Tan-------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ @211 2G XFX Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMVista32

Chuck,With respect, you're wasting your time. Helge has never responded to any email in over two years. Given that he is now withdrawing FSNav from sale it would require a turn-around of mammoth proportions for you to get a reply.Regarding your comment about whiners and naysayers I would say this. Purchasers of his software we are perfectly entitled to voice their opinions on someone who has singularly failed to support his product in over two years. I have never encountered such an arrogant attitude from any developer in my 15 years of using FS. He is truly in a league of his own!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest gdafc1

Have to agree that the support has been terrible, in a league of his own though I don't think so.Over to PSS..............Thanks,Garry